Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2016, 07:34 PM

20,105 posts, read 13,564,519 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSoul View Post
they'll end up getting TRUE Satanic followers/leaders.
I think it more likely they'll end up not having any actual meetings, or very few. This is really just a protest to make a point. How many parents will want to sign permissions slips to send their children to a Satanist club, even if they understand that it's really not actual devil worship? It's just weird.

No, they are simply putting evangelicals on notice that they will have to allow competing groups in, or get out themselves. In theory you could have Quran Clubs (Muslims), Jehovah's Playhouse (JWs), Young Skeptics (atheists), Little Humanists, etc. That is not the can of worms that evangelicals meant to open. I hope other groups make application as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2016, 08:04 PM

15,899 posts, read 6,372,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
I think it more likely they'll end up not having any actual meetings, or very few. This is really just a protest to make a point. How many parents will want to sign permissions slips to send their children to a Satanist club, even if they understand that it's really not actual devil worship? It's just weird.

No, they are simply putting evangelicals on notice that they will have to allow competing groups in, or get out themselves. In theory you could have Quran Clubs (Muslims), Jehovah's Playhouse (JWs), Young Skeptics (atheists), Little Humanists, etc. That is not the can of worms that evangelicals meant to open. I hope other groups make application as well.
Oh great a puppet show. Seriously though; time to play=time to preach. We can't have people missing out on everlasting life because you wanted to color a picture! We'll have no part of this world thank you very much.

the Satanist did put together a nice promo video. I think the program might really catch on.

http://players.brightcove.net/254007...=5067885386001'

Old 08-03-2016, 11:58 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,975,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
Ironically the Church of Satan doesn't worship or believe in a personal devil. It is basically more like a parody church, like the Church of Bob, or the Flying Spaghetti Monster. They are simply trying to make fundamentalist heads explode for the sheer fun of it by creating a competing version of the "good news clubs" and insisting on equal time wherever there is already a good news club.
Church of Bob?

Never heard of that one before!

Who is Bob?

Old 08-04-2016, 02:04 AM

50,089 posts, read 20,819,390 times
Quote:
I understand that they may be using the term "Satanic" to try to make a point, but again, it's hypocritical (group thought that they say they're trying to avoid) and it's deceptive (they'll end up getting TRUE Satanic followers/leaders).
No more hypocritical than doing historical re-enactment when there isn't a revolutionary war going on or dressing up in Star war costumes when it isn't actually real, and att best it does have a real purpose - to block the ongoing efforts of Christianity to get a monopoly on selling their product to schoolkids.

Old 08-04-2016, 02:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
Well, the joke is on them, then.. That "always the same forever" God of yours likes himself the smell of a burnt offering.
Indeed. the believers have no idea how "hypocritical" Christianity looks when the god they believe in has been totally made over to suit the way the believers think today.
Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
Oh great a puppet show. Seriously though; time to play=time to preach. We can't have people missing out on everlasting life because you wanted to color a picture! We'll have no part of this world thank you very much.

the Satanist did put together a nice promo video. I think the program might really catch on.

Frankly I would rather have my kids color a picture than have some religious wacko trying to tell them that he has the key o eternal life - which wouldn't be so great, even if it was true.

Old 08-04-2016, 03:39 AM

16,739 posts, read 15,747,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
Church of Bob?

Who is Bob?
Here's the Church Of Bob:

SubSite - Start

Old 08-04-2016, 04:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post

Hmm. I'm reminded of a Simpson's episode where Homer became public enemy no 1 with the Media hatchet Job so effective it convinced even Homer... "Listen to that music! I'm evil!"

I'd only suppose it wasn't done by Christians because they would have had a long diatribe explaining exactly how evil it was. If my kid showed me that and expressed interest, I would demand to go along and see what it was all about -and keep an eye on it thereafter. FSM and spoof religion is all very well, but Religons are religions and cults are cults. You can't trust any on 'em.

Old 08-04-2016, 05:17 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,282,719 times
Quote:
I understand that they may be using the term "Satanic" to try to make a point, but again, it's hypocritical (group thought that they say they're trying to avoid) and it's deceptive (they'll end up getting TRUE Satanic followers/leaders).
Is it not just me, or are the same people who push for a state religion the same ones who are burning up over this idea of a satan club???

The evangelical church of cultists need to change the name to HIGHLY HYPOCRITICAL NEANDERTHALS...

Old 08-04-2016, 07:58 AM

20,105 posts, read 13,564,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
Church of Bob?

Who is Bob?
Actually Bob is the "deity", I think it's called Church of the SubGenius.

Old 08-04-2016, 02:57 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,232,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zzzSnorlax View Post
Saw this in the news: https://www.washingtonpost.com/local....html#comments

Long story short, the Satanic Temple is going to be opening "After School Satan Clubs" in various elementary schools that also have "After School Worship" type clubs. Thoughts?

Somewhat ironically they are piggybacking on legislation implemented by theist lobbying groups, specifically the Liberty Council.

From the article:
“We would like to thank the Liberty Counsel specifically for opening the doors to the After School Satan Clubs through their dedication to religious liberty”
Anything to get their 15 minutes of fame....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality