Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2016, 10:52 AM

19,990 posts, read 13,470,976 times

Advertisements

I am convinced that Franklin Graham is simply pandering to the fears of his base. I seriously doubt he's personally that stupid. Although you never know.

As someone who once did work for one of the organizations that produces curricula and trains workers for Good News Club types of operations, I can easily predict that they will see this as "persecution" and meanness for its own sake. They are convinced they are doing god's work and they have been doing this since well before the year 2000 in at least some states, so they are heavily invested in it. (I recall these were called RTCs or "release-time classes" in Michigan; I actually taught one my senior year in high school, 1974).

What they will fail to understand is that if they leave the Satan Clubs be, allowing them the same rights they already have, they can continue to do what they are doing unmolested and UN-PERSECUTED. But ... if the Satan Clubs are to be "refused" then so must they. It's that simple.

They can't of course abide other beliefs competing with them so they will fight it, and the more they fight it, the more trouble they will get themselves into and the more their own clubs will be shut down.

It's a brilliant strategy to protest and make a point.

The most the Christians can accomplish to prevent these clubs is, ironically, to covertly persecute or harass those who run them. In small rural communities, the people running the Satan Clubs will be known, and they will suffer unofficial social sanctions and possibly harassment. I hope they are prepared for that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2016, 11:12 AM

10,202 posts, read 7,919,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Shouldn't this have just been an addition to the Satan Club thread already on the go?
Sorry, I missed that. It would be appropriate there, you're correct.

Old 08-02-2016, 11:46 AM

7,381 posts, read 7,692,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
I am convinced that Franklin Graham is simply pandering to the fears of his base. I seriously doubt he's personally that stupid. Although you never know.

As someone who once did work for one of the organizations that produces curricula and trains workers for Good News Club types of operations, I can easily predict that they will see this as "persecution" and meanness for its own sake. They are convinced they are doing god's work and they have been doing this since well before the year 2000 in at least some states, so they are heavily invested in it. (I recall these were called RTCs or "release-time classes" in Michigan; I actually taught one my senior year in high school, 1974).

What they will fail to understand is that if they leave the Satan Clubs be, allowing them the same rights they already have, they can continue to do what they are doing unmolested and UN-PERSECUTED. But ... if the Satan Clubs are to be "refused" then so must they. It's that simple.

They can't of course abide other beliefs competing with them so they will fight it, and the more they fight it, the more trouble they will get themselves into and the more their own clubs will be shut down.

It's a brilliant strategy to protest and make a point.

The most the Christians can accomplish to prevent these clubs is, ironically, to covertly persecute or harass those who run them. In small rural communities, the people running the Satan Clubs will be known, and they will suffer unofficial social sanctions and possibly harassment. I hope they are prepared for that.
Yes, he is. He was raised that way.

Old 08-02-2016, 12:20 PM

23,141 posts, read 10,441,143 times
Quote:
What's good for the goose....
Yeah, I think you and I should start our own religion Trout, what should we call it?

Old 08-02-2016, 12:37 PM

50,087 posts, read 20,712,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal Flavius View Post
Yeah, I think you and I should start our own religion Trout, what should we call it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZ5lUd0CFjk

"Praise him upon the biscuit - tin and the one - note plastic whistle!" It has made such a difference to my life.

Old 08-02-2016, 12:53 PM

7,058 posts, read 9,078,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
"Praise him upon the biscuit - tin and the one - note plastic whistle!" It has made such a difference to my life.
I managed to give it 43 seconds. Anybody else do any better?

Old 08-02-2016, 01:12 PM

16,671 posts, read 15,665,596 times
Quote:
Shouldn't this have just been an addition to the Satan Club thread already on the go?
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
Sorry, I missed that. It would be appropriate there, you're correct.
Two threads merged together.

Old 08-02-2016, 01:40 PM

50,087 posts, read 20,712,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
I managed to give it 43 seconds. Anybody else do any better?
I hate to say it, but I found after a while a 3 -note tune emerged - quarter -tones. And It was a window into music of the past. We know what music is now, but I am quite interested in the reason we have music and how it evolved.j

Old 08-02-2016, 04:12 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,919,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hljc View Post
Does this club dabble into the occult and go around haunting houses with spooks , or it is just an antichrist club which is designed to offend Christians ?
What does it matter? The law is such that if you allow one religious group, you have to allow all. You have a problem with that? I bet you are all in favor of freedom of and from religion, as I am, right?

Old 08-02-2016, 04:57 PM

23,141 posts, read 10,441,143 times
I am for freedom, I think schools should have no part in any group.

I freaking hated the schools involving my son in their Christian activities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality