Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which option do you most closely associate yourself with?
Christian 26 29.89%
Jewish 8 9.20%
Muslim 2 2.30%
Buddhist 2 2.30%
Hindu 2 2.30%
Other world religions / faiths 0 0%
Atheist / Agnostic 38 43.68%
Other 9 10.34%
Voters: 87. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2015, 11:22 AM

10,531 posts, read 6,164,567 times

Advertisements

America’s Changing Religious Landscape | Pew Research Center

I thought it would be interesting to see how the City Data members here compare to the recent Pew poll.

I had to change the options slightly to be more in line with the options on the forum, but it should give an idea.

Of course members posting here are also not just restricted to the USA.

Note: This is a public poll.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2023, 11:03 AM

15,964 posts, read 7,024,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post

I thought it would be interesting to see how the City Data members here compare to the recent Pew poll.

I had to change the options slightly to be more in line with the options on the forum, but it should give an idea.

Over 55% of participants are Atheists. Does this surprise anyone? I am surprised why no discussion followed this fascinating numbers. I suppose it is not such a surprise actually, it is quite evident Atheists are all over R&S, dominating the conversation, to the extent of silencing some believers entirely. This in addition to having a forum just to discuss their own interest.
Any ideas why this could be?
I have a few.
1. To find strawmen, which may be invisible to others.
2. The natural draw towards Divinity that is within that cannot be resisted.
3. The nagging feeling that they may be missing something. Some come to find what it is, and some in fear that they may find it.
None of these opportunities are available for discussion in their own protected space.
So welcome. It is a free forum.

Old 07-02-2023, 11:11 AM

5,493 posts, read 7,338,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post

Not sure how to vote. I'm a denominationally unaffiliated Christian. And theologically agnostic.

Old 07-02-2023, 11:22 AM

9,340 posts, read 13,004,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakback View Post
Not sure how to vote. I'm a denominationally unaffiliated Christian. And theologically agnostic.
It’s an interesting question. Although there are ethnic strains of Christianity, Christianity is a non-ethnic religion at its core. I think it comes down to how you identify culturally.

As an atheist who is an ethno-cultural Jew, I consider myself a Jew first and an atheist second. I’m open and unashamed about my atheism, but it’s a tertiary aspect of my identity. I’d check both boxes if there were the option.

Old 07-02-2023, 11:27 AM

5,493 posts, read 7,338,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElijahAstin View Post
It’s an interesting question. Although there are ethnic strains of Christianity, Christianity is a non-ethnic religion at its core. I think it comes down to how you identify culturally.

As an atheist who is an ethno-cultural Jew, I consider myself a Jew first and an atheist second. I’m open and unashamed about my atheism, but it’s a tertiary aspect of my identity. I’d check both boxes if there were the option.
Cacophony is the sound of religion most often heard.

If we can't find a common voice, at least we can learn to listen to each other.

Old 07-02-2023, 12:15 PM

50,809 posts, read 24,310,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
Over 55% of participants are Atheists. Does this surprise anyone? I am surprised why no discussion followed this fascinating numbers. I suppose it is not such a surprise actually, it is quite evident Atheists are all over R&S, dominating the conversation, to the extent of silencing some believers entirely. This in addition to having a forum just to discuss their own interest.
I have a few.
3. The nagging feeling that they may be missing something. Some come to find what it is, and some in fear that they may find it.
None of these opportunities are available for discussion in their own protected space.
The bolded...really? Does that explain your 87 posts in 1 week. You don't seem very silenced.

Old 07-02-2023, 01:38 PM

16,673 posts, read 15,668,595 times
Quote:
Over 55% of participants are Atheists. Does this surprise anyone?
It doesn't surprise me any more than many other things that happen on this forum. Many of the Christians never post anywhere but the Christianity forum. Same for Muslims in the Islam forum, and Jews i the Judaism forum. Those people probably didn't see the poll when it was posted 8 years ago.

Quote:
I am surprised why no discussion followed this fascinating numbers.
Meh. I don't see why it is fascinating.

Quote:
I suppose it is not such a surprise actually, it is quite evident Atheists are all over R&S, dominating the conversation, to the extent of silencing some believers entirely.
People that want to post here do so. Nobody is being silenced. I wonder why someone would suggest anyone is being muzzled.

Quote:
This in addition to having a forum just to discuss their own interest.
Interacting among different beliefs are supposed to take place here in this forum. We know tht because the owner of the company said so in his sticky post in the A&A forum. I'm sure you have been reminded of this fact before.

Quote:
I have a few.
::shrug: I haven't seen that.

Quote:
The atheists have told you repeatedly that is not the case. Why did you mention something that they have already corrected?

Quote:
3. The nagging feeling that they may be missing something.
I'd like for you to quote some atheist from this forum that says they feel they might be missing something.

Quote:
Some come to find what it is, and some in fear that they may find it.
Please quote one of the atheists saying they have come to find religion or spirituality.

Quote:
The A&A forum is what it is. Get used to it. The company owner is unlikely to change anything.

Old 07-02-2023, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
It doesn't surprise me any more than many other things that happen on this forum. Many of the Christians never post anywhere but the Christianity forum. Same for Muslims in the Islam forum, and Jews i the Judaism forum. Those people probably didn't see the poll when it was posted 8 years ago.

Meh. I don't see why it is fascinating.

People that want to post here do so. Nobody is being silenced. I wonder why someone would suggest anyone is being muzzled.
Just my feeling. I miss those voices that are now silent. Is there a problem with that?

Interacting among different beliefs are supposed to take place here in this forum. We know tht because the owner of the company said so in his sticky post in the A&A forum. I'm sure you have been reminded of this fact before.

I am confused. Is atheism a belief now? I thought it was a non-belief. Hmm.

The atheists have told you repeatedly that is not the case. Why did you mention something that they have already corrected?

THE Atheists speak with one voice? You don't think there may be several other atheists who may feel that way and are silent? I think it is a human need and I am not sure you can read hearts and minds. Why do you sound so angry?

I'd like for you to quote some atheist from this forum that says they feel they might be missing something.

I would like you to quote all the silent atheists who feel they might.

Please quote one of the atheists saying they have come to find religion or spirituality.
Please quote where I said that.

The A&A forum is what it is. Get used to it. The company owner is unlikely to change anything.
I don't remember asking for any change to A&A. Quote me.

Old 07-02-2023, 02:39 PM

50,809 posts, read 24,310,427 times
Quote:
Just my feeling. I miss those voices that are now silent. Is there a problem with that?

I am confused. Is atheism a belief now? I thought it was a non-belief. Hmm.

And by the way, since you often do this to us, now I will tell you to go back to the original post in this thread and realize that most of your post is off-topic.

THE Atheists speak with one voice? You don't think there may be several other atheists who may feel that way and are silent? I think it is a human need and I am not sure you can read hearts and minds. Why do you sound so angry?

I would like you to quote all the silent atheists who feel they might.

Please quote where I said that.

I don't remember asking for any change to A&A. Quote me.
You seem to conveniently forget that there are atheist posters who are no longer around or who rarely show up here.

And by the way -- since you often do this to us: go back to the opening post in this profile and then realize that technically the above post of yours is off-topic.

Old 07-02-2023, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post

Does Mystic count? He has said many times that he was atheist for a long time until he found Jesus.
I may not have a list of atheists who come to find religion because I don't read hearts and minds. But apparently Wikipedia does.

Here is list of some interesting former Atheists

Quote:
Atheists who became an unspecified/uncertain form of theism or deism

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality