Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which option do you most closely associate yourself with?
Christian 26 29.89%
Jewish 8 9.20%
Muslim 2 2.30%
Buddhist 2 2.30%
Hindu 2 2.30%
Other world religions / faiths 0 0%
Atheist / Agnostic 38 43.68%
Other 9 10.34%
Voters: 87. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2023, 08:39 AM

5,903 posts, read 3,794,345 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
Over 55% of participants are Atheists. Does this surprise anyone? I am surprised why no discussion followed this fascinating numbers. I suppose it is not such a surprise actually, it is quite evident Atheists are all over R&S, dominating the conversation, to the extent of silencing some believers entirely. This in addition to having a forum just to discuss their own interest.
Any ideas why this could be?
I have a few.
1. To find strawmen, which may be invisible to others.
2. The natural draw towards Divinity that is within that cannot be resisted.
3. The nagging feeling that they may be missing something. Some come to find what it is, and some in fear that they may find it.
None of these opportunities are available for discussion in their own protected space.
So welcome. It is a free forum.
This is so hateful. You still have no clue what you are talking about. Mystic is not an atheist, btw. So there goes your example from your other post. I think MG and Phet put you in your place. If anyone is silent now, it's probably because they have thin skin and can dish out but can't take it. Like you, perhaps. Ever considered being silent and contemplating why you are the way you are?

Oh and, this thread we're posting in from 2015 is one you pulled out of thin air I suppose, just because you were bored. Or wanted to start something. I think it's the latter, like you did by reviving one of my threads from 2008. That is really sad and quite twisted, even evil I would say. Better pray for some enlightenment and good manners.

Last edited by Northsouth; 07-03-2023 at 08:42 AM.. Reason: Edit to add
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2023, 08:47 AM

88,575 posts, read 84,777,093 times
This poll is old. I would not answer it the same way today that I did in 2015.

Old 07-03-2023, 08:49 AM

5,903 posts, read 3,794,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal Flavius View Post
I never saw anyone silenced, there are more than a million forums of Christians only, that is if you follow the same dogma and they never make it. I have been here almost everyday for a decade, talking with Atheists everyday, so why don't they attack me?
Because we don't attack. We're trying to have civil conversations/debates, just like everyone else. And you Hannibal, are not doing what Cb is doing. She obviously has major issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
I dont know.
See, there's the problem. You need to pray to your god, like I said, for humility, understanding, learning to be non-judgmental and just generally being a better person. I'm sure your one and only god could arrange that for you, couldn't it? OR, maybe you could DO IT YOURSELF.

Old 07-03-2023, 09:15 AM

15,860 posts, read 6,322,813 times
Hannie isn't full of himself.

Old 07-03-2023, 11:41 AM

11,097 posts, read 7,154,662 times
Looks like America, and freedom of belief. There's more that could be added (Taoism, Native American spirituality, etc.) but at least we're not all the same. I'll still be more motivated by spirituality and philosophy than *religion* per se.

Old 07-03-2023, 01:46 PM

10,531 posts, read 6,164,567 times
Wow, a poll I posted 8 years ago.
I don't even remember posting this poll.
I guess because it got zero traction at the time.
Some posters - I recognize their name but they don't post anymore and two sadly passed.
Whatever happened to Cupper3 I wonder? He used to post all the time. And SizzlyFriddle? And NoCapo?

Last edited by Cruithne; 07-03-2023 at 02:01 PM..

Old 07-03-2023, 05:56 PM

426 posts, read 159,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakback View Post
And I 'm discovering a new denomination of atheists. Fundamental Atheism.

Yes, even atheists can be fundamentalist
I'm a bit confused, as fundamentalist refers to a religious person (especially Christian) who believes in (or claims to, anyway) the entirety of their holy text.

I'm having a hard time understanding how this can be a thing with atheists. Atheists don't have a holy text. The only thing that unites atheists is lack of belief in deities.

It's why many of us have drifted away from "atheist" communities, because we can agree on nothing aside from the lack of belief in deities. It's a delineation that can only go so far.

There are many absolutely terrible human beings who are high profile atheists. I can list at least two right off the top of my head. And some others who are not so great, of which I can list even more. But just because they're bad people doesn't mean they're "fundamentalist", they're just... rotten people who happen to be atheists. And I'm not saying that to "separate" myself from them or anything, but more that I can not compare them to fundamentalists.

Old 07-03-2023, 06:11 PM

15,860 posts, read 6,322,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodwindsRock View Post
I'm a bit confused, as fundamentalist refers to a religious person (especially Christian) who believes in (or claims to, anyway) the entirety of their holy text.

I'm having a hard time understanding how this can be a thing with atheists. Atheists don't have a holy text. The only thing that unites atheists is lack of belief in deities.

It's why many of us have drifted away from "atheist" communities, because we can agree on nothing aside from the lack of belief in deities. It's a delineation that can only go so far.

There are many absolutely terrible human beings who are high profile atheists. I can list at least two right off the top of my head. And some others who are not so great, of which I can list even more. But just because they're bad people doesn't mean they're "fundamentalist", they're just... rotten people who happen to be atheists. And I'm not saying that to "separate" myself from them or anything, but more that I can not compare them to fundamentalists.
When I see someone post "fundamentalist atheist" I think of someone who is really convinced of their conclusion. The "I am right therefore you are wrong" type of people. Mordant once referred to them as not understanding nuance.

Old 07-03-2023, 06:29 PM

21,541 posts, read 8,724,324 times
I voted atheist/agnostic, but I respect all religions so long as their adherents are not trying to convert me or change laws to conform to religious beliefs that I don't share. I'll even admit that I'm actually envious of the faithful. They have the self-confidence and peace of mind that comes from believing they know all the answers to life's big questions: Why are we here? How should we live? What happens after we die? I have no idea, and I don't think it's even possible for mere human beings to grasp the mysteries of the universe. That's kind of scary. So I can't blame people for needing to believe that there's a loving god, that sinners will be punished and that death doesn't bring oblivion but eternal life in paradise. It must be really nice to believe that.

Old 07-03-2023, 08:11 PM

5,493 posts, read 7,338,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodwindsRock View Post

As I understand the term, one does not necessarily need to be a theist, to be fundamentalist. Although most understand fundamentalists to be theist. I don't.

Perhaps I could just use words like dogmatic, unyielding, and close minded..

I do appreciate one's desire to commit to a given ideology or belief. But that's all it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality