Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which option do you most closely associate yourself with?
Christian 26 29.89%
Jewish 8 9.20%
Muslim 2 2.30%
Buddhist 2 2.30%
Hindu 2 2.30%
Other world religions / faiths 0 0%
Atheist / Agnostic 38 43.68%
Other 9 10.34%
Voters: 87. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2023, 09:20 AM

29,544 posts, read 9,710,839 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayarea4 View Post
I voted atheist/agnostic, but I respect all religions so long as their adherents are not trying to convert me or change laws to conform to religious beliefs that I don't share. I'll even admit that I'm actually envious of the faithful. They have the self-confidence and peace of mind that comes from believing they know all the answers to life's big questions: Why are we here? How should we live? What happens after we die? I have no idea, and I don't think it's even possible for mere human beings to grasp the mysteries of the universe. That's kind of scary. So I can't blame people for needing to believe that there's a loving god, that sinners will be punished and that death doesn't bring oblivion but eternal life in paradise. It must be really nice to believe that.
Seems we may be fellow Bay Area atheists, and though it seems you have been participating in this forum quite a bit and for a long time, I don't remember seeing a comment from you before...

As for your comment in particular, I generally agree as I have often noted there is little gained from shaking someone's faith even if it were possible. It can be a true source of comfort for a believer, but I'm not sure about how much comfort for all religious people, because often life's challenges tend to shake one's faith in ways that can be quite unsettling. On the flip side, I've not found being an atheist or not being able to grasp all the mysteries of the universe to be kind of scary. I've found that many atheists are similarly comfortable with their understanding of what we can understand and what we can't.

We may actually be better off not knowing all there is to know about the universe and our place in it...

Last edited by LearnMe; 07-04-2023 at 09:46 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2023, 09:40 AM

15,956 posts, read 7,018,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
You are more infatuated with atheism than most atheists posting in this forum...

What it is. What it is not. What inspires the atheist. What does not. What's different about atheists. What's the same. On and on, over and over again, as if to demonstrate that nothing explained before to address your notions, criticisms, objections and misunderstandings will ever make any difference to you. Your mind set and opinion(s) about this is the epitome of what I describe by way of my "Cement Theory." In spades!
So what brings you to a forum for Religion and Spirituality again and again?

Old 07-04-2023, 09:43 AM

29,544 posts, read 9,710,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
So what brings you to a forum for Religion and Spirituality again and again?
If my answer the first, second, third, fourth and all the times after didn't work for you, I'm fairly certain another explanation will not make any difference...

And it's time for me to sign off now to get onto other Independence Day activities, so here's to a good, safe and pleasant 4th of July regardless your religion or lack thereof! Cheers!

Old 07-04-2023, 09:51 AM

17,788 posts, read 13,677,875 times
I voted "other" because I worship Lionel Boyd Johnson.

He limits his followers to just a few because he wants to give us personal attention during our worship and he isn't omnipresent like Jesus is.

The best thing about LBJ is that he gets us "off the hook"...

Old 07-04-2023, 10:39 AM

16,769 posts, read 4,976,506 times
Quote:
Atheists interpret other people’s scriptures in “strict, literal interpretations†and do not accept when the adherents of those religions interpret them with spirituality. In that respect yes, they are fundyer than the most fundy of believers.
Au Contraire, we are responding to the religious who take their scripture literally, so again you attack atheists and kick a theist in the chin. I can accept the gospels are allegories, and simply point out when the theists are making excuses, what you call interpreting them spiritually.

Quote:
Believers use their scriptures as foundation and know the meaning they bring to the words and the meaning the words inspire are as important if not more than what the words say at first glance. Believers believe this inspiration is where Divinity lies.
Atheists simply cannot understand that spirituality. They always pull out their dictionary that they are very fond of to lecture to believers about what the scriptures mean. they are very attached to the words of the scriptures
You are talking about those more modern believers who want to hijack other beliefs to force their beliefs on other peoples religious texts. Most believers I have seen take their scripture literally, especially the followers of the two later Abrahamic religions.

Old 07-04-2023, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Appropriately titled C-D religious belief that includes Atheism as one.
And there is the usual irrelevant evasion.

Old 07-04-2023, 10:57 AM

Quote:
You are right on all count. It is the most open section to all beliefs, unlike the ones devoted to a selective few of religions alone and atheism with stricter rules. what would be conducive to exploring spirituality and religion would be to discuss religion in all its diverse and splendid forms and ALSO seek the unity in diversity which I believe exists, and which would be spirituality.
what would not be conducive and is disruptive is to dominate the conversation with criticism of religion and it’s followers in a very personal way, and promote atheism. not all atheists do that of course of course, but the few that do are persistent, copious, and obnoxious. There is already a place for that to vent freely. This inhibits the kind of dialogue that can be had as in no other place. Many who find their spiritual space violated here go silent or leave altogether. And they have contributed thoughts of great value for discussion.
Just my opinion.
You prove our point. Derek41 raised good points, but did not mention atheism, yet there you go again, projecting your personality onto atheists in your attempt to silence us.

Perhaps if you actually discussed your beliefs instead of constantly attacking atheists, the conversation on this section of the forum would not be dying, ironically something that appeared to have started when you started posting.

Here is an example of a meaningful, and often respectful, discussion between atheists and a Christian.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/reli...-nativity.html

Perhaps you need to earn respect before you start attacking others.

Old 07-04-2023, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakback View Post
I guess the term " atheist " is in fact a response to theism, nevertheless I suspect the were those who had no belief or interest in any deity, before the notion of a deity evolved. Seems this may be more a question of linguistics. In other words if there was no word for theism, there would be no need for the term atheism.

Regarding fundamentalist atheists; again the term fundamentalist seems to automatically create negative reactions.

I suspect there could be positive reason for being fundamentalist. For example, I am fundamentally anti fundamentalist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakback View Post
I have a hard time with unyielding dogmatic opinions resulting from an unwillingness to be open to differing views and opinions. Regardless of evidence or lack thereof.

There seems to be a group of atheists that are as dogmatic and unyielding in there views and opinions, as the fundamentalist theists.
Just because we do not accept the views of the religious does not mean we are not open to them. For me, the religious can believe what they want. I do have a problem when they start posting assertions as facts.

Old 07-04-2023, 12:32 PM

16,669 posts, read 15,663,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
Au Contraire, we are responding to the religious who take their scripture literally, so again you attack atheists and kick a theist in the chin. I can accept the gospels are allegories, and simply point out when the theists are making excuses, what you call interpreting them spiritually.

You are talking about those more modern believers who want to hijack other beliefs to force their beliefs on other peoples religious texts. Most believers I have seen take their scripture literally, especially the followers of the two later Abrahamic religions.
There are several Christians, arguing for a literal world flood within the past few thousand years, right now in a thread in the Christianity forum.
In other conversations, they argue for a literal reading of Genesis.

Old 07-04-2023, 12:45 PM

50,783 posts, read 24,289,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
There are several Christians, arguing for a literal world flood within the past few thousand years, right now in a thread in the Christianity forum.
In other conversations, they argue for a literal reading of Genesis.
And this is so funadmental to christians understanding one major point of atheists. From our perspective, it's simply not acceptable for one huge christian faction to say the bible is allegorical, while another huge faction says no, it's literal. Christians can't have it both ways. This is one of those cases in life where it's one or the other...and it's it's not acceptable to keep saying that, 'well, it just depends on the passage'. Either we can trust the bible, or we can't.

Of course, the other thing more christians could do is stop worrying about proving scripture and start dealing MORE...MUCH MORE...with principles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality