Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which option do you most closely associate yourself with?
Christian 26 29.89%
Jewish 8 9.20%
Muslim 2 2.30%
Buddhist 2 2.30%
Hindu 2 2.30%
Other world religions / faiths 0 0%
Atheist / Agnostic 38 43.68%
Other 9 10.34%
Voters: 87. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2023, 11:04 PM

16,774 posts, read 4,979,959 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
Over 55% of participants are Atheists. Does this surprise anyone? I am surprised why no discussion followed this fascinating numbers. I suppose it is not such a surprise actually, it is quite evident Atheists are all over R&S, dominating the conversation, to the extent of silencing some believers entirely. This in addition to having a forum just to discuss their own interest.
Any ideas why this could be?
I have a few.
1. To find strawmen, which may be invisible to others.
2. The natural draw towards Divinity that is within that cannot be resisted.
3. The nagging feeling that they may be missing something. Some come to find what it is, and some in fear that they may find it.
None of these opportunities are available for discussion in their own protected space.
So welcome. It is a free forum.
What is wrong, it is not like you to twist a post to attack atheists?

Have you asked yourself why you need to do this? I have an idea, perhaps it is because you know your arguments are bad, and it annoys you that we point this out?

And are you sure it is us closing down conversations, and not the usual religious suspects repeating the same arguments? Such as your 3 ideas that have been explained to you, and added to.

As to the poll, naturally atheist, but with an interest in Daoism.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2023, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakback View Post
Curious why atheist and agnostic are not separate categories.

There is a big difference between;
A- I know a god does not exist
B- I don't know ( or care ) if a god exists.
It is like little green men visiting earth, I do not believe it happens, but I have insufficient information to say they definitely do not visit us.

They are not mutually exclusive, because your A option is wrong. It is not that we know gods do not exist, it is that we believe gods do not exist.

Old 07-02-2023, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakback View Post
It would appear that the atheistic community is as nuanced as the theist one.

And I 'm discovering a new denomination of atheists. Fundamental Atheism.

Yes, even atheists can be fundamentalist
As atheism is a response to theism, one must ask why fundamentalist atheists would exist?

Old 07-02-2023, 11:52 PM

15,964 posts, read 7,024,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
What is wrong, it is not like you to twist a post to attack atheists?

Have you asked yourself why you need to do this? I have an idea, perhaps it is because you know your arguments are bad, and it annoys you that we point this out?

And are you sure it is us closing down conversations, and not the usual religious suspects repeating the same arguments? Such as your 3 ideas that have been explained to you, and added to.

As to the poll, naturally atheist, but with an interest in Daoism.
Appropriately titled C-D religious belief that includes Atheism as one.

Old 07-03-2023, 02:14 AM

3,801 posts, read 2,996,947 times
Quote:
Over 55% of participants are Atheists. Does this surprise anyone? I am surprised why no discussion followed this fascinating numbers. I suppose it is not such a surprise actually, it is quite evident Atheists are all over R&S, dominating the conversation, to the extent of silencing some believers entirely. This in addition to having a forum just to discuss their own interest.
I have a few.
3. The nagging feeling that they may be missing something. Some come to find what it is, and some in fear that they may find it.
None of these opportunities are available for discussion in their own protected space.
This is a relatively small sample size poll, on an Internet forum.
It’s not exactly scientific.
This is also the most open section of the board, and open to all beliefs and non-beliefs.
The Christianity forum for instance assumes that God and Christ exists, before any further discussion.

Old 07-03-2023, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek41 View Post
This is a relatively small sample size poll, on an Internet forum.
It’s not exactly scientific.
This is also the most open section of the board, and open to all beliefs and non-beliefs.
The Christianity forum for instance assumes that God and Christ exists, before any further discussion.
You are right on all count. It is the most open section to all beliefs, unlike the ones devoted to a selective few of religions alone and atheism with stricter rules. what would be conducive to exploring spirituality and religion would be to discuss religion in all its diverse and splendid forms and ALSO seek the unity in diversity which I believe exists, and which would be spirituality.
what would not be conducive and is disruptive is to dominate the conversation with criticism of religion and it’s followers in a very personal way, and promote atheism. not all atheists do that of course of course, but the few that do are persistent, copious, and obnoxious. There is already a place for that to vent freely. This inhibits the kind of dialogue that can be had as in no other place. Many who find their spiritual space violated here go silent or leave altogether. And they have contributed thoughts of great value for discussion.
Just my opinion.

Old 07-03-2023, 07:15 AM

23,148 posts, read 10,445,085 times
Quote:
I have a few.
I never saw anyone silenced, there are more than a million forums of Christians only, that is if you follow the same dogma and they never make it. I have been here almost everyday for a decade, talking with Atheists everyday, so why don't they attack me?

Old 07-03-2023, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal Flavius View Post
I never saw anyone silenced, there are more than a million forums of Christians only, that is if you follow the same dogma and they never make it. I have been here almost everyday for a decade, talking with Atheists everyday, so why don't they attack me?
I dont know.

Old 07-03-2023, 08:17 AM

5,493 posts, read 7,338,677 times
Quote:
As atheism is a response to theism, one must ask why fundamentalist atheists would exist?
I guess the term " atheist " is in fact a response to theism, nevertheless I suspect the were those who had no belief or interest in any deity, before the notion of a deity evolved. Seems this may be more a question of linguistics. In other words if there was no word for theism, there would be no need for the term atheism.

Regarding fundamentalist atheists; again the term fundamentalist seems to automatically create negative reactions.

I suspect there could be positive reason for being fundamentalist. For example, I am fundamentally anti fundamentalist.

I have a hard time with unyielding dogmatic opinions resulting from an unwillingness to be open to differing views and opinions. Regardless of evidence or lack thereof.

There seems to be a group of atheists that are as dogmatic and unyielding in there views and opinions, as the fundamentalist theists.

Old 07-03-2023, 08:22 AM

5,493 posts, read 7,338,677 times
Quote:
It is like little green men visiting earth, I do not believe it happens, but I have insufficient information to say they definitely do not visit us.

They are not mutually exclusive, because your A option is wrong. It is not that we know gods do not exist, it is that we believe gods do not exist.
I actually prefer your definition. Although, I suspect there would be many atheists who would take exception with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality