Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Abstinence......a real issue?
Abstinence before marriage......have you being blessed? 1 16.67%
None abstinence before marriage....ramifications? 5 83.33%
Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2015, 05:49 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,205,471 times

Advertisements

Sex with multiple other people and extremely happy and blessed with the person I settled down with!

Most all of my friends had multiple sexual partners for years before they got married, so did my parents and from what I gather their friends as well. One night stands, long term relationships, quick relationships.

None of that had/has anything to do with their marriages. Most all of them are happy.

Lots of studies have shown that you're more likely to be content and happy in your marriage sexually if you had sex with other people before marriage. It's healthy....why not?

Last edited by Chicago60614; 02-23-2015 at 06:05 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2015, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
Your poll options are odd. My suggestion would have been:
  • Yes I abstained until marriage and I believe I have benefited. (Please elaborate in the comments.)
  • Yes I abstained until marriage but don't think there is a benefit and/or I regret doing so. (Please elaborate in the comments.)
  • No I did not abstain until marriage and I believe I benefited from not doing so. (Please elaborate in the comments.)
  • No I did not abstain until marriage but don't think there is a benefit and/or I regret it. (Please elaborate in the comments.)

The best way I can illustrate is my own family.
  1. My wife and I were virgins when we married and have been happily married for about 15 years now. Neither of us has ever divorced obviously.
  2. I have four older sisters who are in the same boat: They and their husbands were all virgins when they got married. None have divorced and everyone is still going strong on their first marriage.
  3. My parents did the same thing and are still married after 50 years.
  4. My mother has four brothers and it's exactly the same story. Everyone waited until marriage and everybody is still on their first marriage and quite happy.
  5. My grandparents on both sides did the same thing with the same results.
  6. My father has two brothers. The youngest did the same thing and is still happily married. The older one slept around before marriage and he's currently on his fifth marriage.
That's extremely rare though!! Studies show around 3%-14% of adult Americans are virgins when they marry. Among very devote religious people that number climbs to around 20%-30% who wait until marriage.

Many people think that having sexual activity before marriage is something new, but even back in 1950 when they did studies they found only 13% of people waited until marriage to be sexual.

I'm 35 years old and actually don't know anyone among my friends who waited until marriage for sex. They're all wonderful people, many of them quite religious, and sex before marriage was a complete non-issue between them and their partner (as they had all done it).

Last edited by Chicago60614; 02-23-2015 at 06:06 PM..

Old 02-23-2015, 06:04 PM

I suppose as far as "waiting until marriage" based on biblical reasons it's also important to understand that during biblical times girls were normally married off upon reaching puberty. The average age for a girl to be married was age 12-14 for girls and age 14 for boys. So it would make more rational sense that of course you are going to be marrying as virgins and be "pure".

Certainly in biblical times no girl was sitting around waiting into her TWENTIES as a virgin. Marriage and losing your virginity went hand in hand because you were to be married right at the age where you're physically capable of having sex.

Old 02-23-2015, 06:12 PM

2,826 posts, read 2,368,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
Strangely, you only offered two diagonal choices instead of all four choices in the matrix. It makes it seems like you didn't mean what you said about seeking out the works of God in both instances, since your poll seems to be interested only in the good news stemming from abstinence and not the cases where abstinence had non-positive consequences, and interested only in the bad news stemming from lack of abstinence and not the cases where lack of abstinence non-negative consequences.
Even three choices ("Abstinence/lack thereof has not affected me") would be okay.

I'm not sure God has a direct stake in our sex life, as long as we do not "cheapen" our relationships.

Old 02-23-2015, 06:43 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,933,771 times
You'd have to be a fool to marry someone without having sex with them first.

Old 02-23-2015, 07:31 PM

18,496 posts, read 9,161,666 times
My main concern is the spread of STDs. Quite a lot of people have them.

Old 02-23-2015, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11thHour View Post
You'd have to be a fool to marry someone without having sex with them first.
Why do you think that? I'm not saying you're wrong necessarily, I'm just wondering.

Personally, I would want to marry someone that I could spend the rest of my life with. If the relationship is just based on sex, what happens after she turns 30? Most women don't look so good after age 30. See what I'm getting at?

Old 02-23-2015, 07:42 PM

6,961 posts, read 4,615,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
Why do you think that? I'm not saying you're wrong necessarily, I'm just wondering.

Personally, I would want to marry someone that I could spend the rest of my life with. If the relationship is just based on sex, what happens after she turns 30? Most women don't look so good after age 30. See what I'm getting at?
LOL Neither do you, Adonis.

Old 02-23-2015, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonkonkomaNative View Post
LOL Neither do you, Adonis.
Well that's my point. What happens when couples get older and less sexually attractive to each other? If sex was the basis of the relationship, what happens?

Old 02-23-2015, 08:06 PM

6,961 posts, read 4,615,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
Well that's my point. What happens when couples get older and less sexually attractive to each other? If sex was the basis of the relationship, what happens?
You close your eyes?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality