Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2015, 11:57 PM

10,087 posts, read 5,734,940 times

Advertisements

I just find this pretty insensitive and downright disgusting. It's sad that our society has to cave to the demands of intolerate atheists and these students can not have a memorial to their beloved teacher.

Quote:

A West Virginia middle school took down the crosses from a memorial to a beloved teacher, but is standing firm on the angels etched into the stone, despite an atheist group's threat to sue on constitutional grounds.

Joann Christy's 26-year career educating children at Ravenswood Middle School came to a tragic end in 2004, when she died in a car accident. But her loved ones and the community she had served sought to remember her with an engraved, stone memorial near the school's entrance.

"There's so many kids that came through this school that were affected by her death, that were affected by her teachings, and now we're just trying to keep her memory alive here," Tracy Sadecky, a family friend, told the station.

Atheist group threatens suit over 'angels' on memorial to beloved teacher | Fox News

Atheists don't want freedom of religion. They want freedom FROM religion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2015, 12:12 AM

4,904 posts, read 6,015,894 times
There are statistically twenty to thirty million atheists and agnostics in America. The fact that some nonbelievers do this doesn't mean all twenty to thirty million do. Most atheists want freedom of religion, but if you want freedom of religion then you also have to have freedom from religion. What you're doing is no different than me saying that Christians are all hatemongering homophobes because of the actions of the Religious Right.

Old 02-21-2015, 12:20 AM

6,324 posts, read 4,323,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
I just find this pretty insensitive and downright disgusting. It's sad that our society has to cave to the demands of intolerate atheists and these students can not have a memorial to their beloved teacher.
First of all, it's "intolerant" not "intolerate." I try not to be a spelling and grammar Nazi, but sometimes I just can't ignore a spelling "mistake" repeated more than once.

Secondly, they don't necessarily represent mainstream atheism ... just like the guy who burned down the sex shop doesn't represent mainstream Christianity.

Freaking FOX NEWS? Are you serious? Fox News hates atheists even more than they hate gays, Muslims, and commies. Who the hell really knows if what they're saying about this event is even accurate given that they've been caught lying and exaggerating about stories before. In fact, lying has become so much a part of what they do that Bill O'Reilly is getting away with claiming HE was in a warzone when he wasn't - but Brian Williams will lose his entire career for saying he was in one chopper when he was in the other chopper. The fact that Fox doesn't discipline its journalists for spewing bullshyte should tell you something about their integrity.

Note, too, that NONE of the other news networks or newspapers are carrying this story. Why? Because it's not news. Yet Fox LOVES to sniff around the country to find these local stories just so they can blast atheists. You won't see Fox reporting on some Christian group and its efforts at banning books from a public library - which happens every ... single ... day somewhere in America. Nope, they'll only attack atheists. They even had a show to discuss whether atheists should just "shut up." As if that should even be a discussion. (Yeah, 1st Amendment and what not ...)

Quote:
Duh! Derpy derpy derp. Duhy ....

Of COURSE we want freedom FROM religion. Because you cannot have freedom OF religion without also having freedom FROM religion.

Think about it for more than two nanoseconds, okay, Jeff? You just might understand why what I just said is true.

Old 02-21-2015, 01:21 AM

7,801 posts, read 6,374,746 times
Quote:
And yet another twisting of the facts by you to server your little atheist agenda. No one said they can not have a memorial. You simply made that bit up to twist the story to suit your spin.

Read the text YOU just pasted. YOUR OWN text. The text you just lied about....

"took down the crosses from a memorial".

Does it say they took down the memorial? No it does not.

Does it say they can not have a memorial? No it does not.

But do not let actual FACT get in the way of the fantasy propaganda you want to spew against atheists. It says a lot about your agenda however that you can not support it with the facts, but have to make up your own ones to get there. It says a lot indeed.

Quote:
No, as usual when you tell us what atheists want, it bears not similarity to the actual reality. What they appear to want is equal application of the actual laws, just like in our twisting of the homosexuality stories and the application of existing equality and anti discrimination laws. I repeat: Your agenda appears to only be served by you making up your own facts. You are unable to support it with the actual facts available to you.

And what is worse, when a Christian Fundie burns something down you write "And your point is? His actions do not represent mainstream Christianity." but when a couple of atheists do not act like you want them to.... why its ALL atheists you spew your bile against.

One rule for you, one for everyone else isnt it? Are you literally trying to be the very epitome of the phrase Double Standard?

Old 02-21-2015, 03:10 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,723,660 times
Thanks - and thanks Jeff for providing yet more rolling rocks for the atheist avalanche - misrepresentation and twisting (to say the least) of the facts and double -standards, all in support of the ongoing fundamentalist Christian war against the increasing rejection of religion.

Old 02-21-2015, 05:19 AM

16,675 posts, read 15,672,301 times
Quote:

Atheist group threatens suit over 'angels' on memorial to beloved teacher | Fox News

I don't know why Fox decided to pick up this story. This happened near enough to my home that it was local news, sort of, for ONE day. I said sort of because it wasn't even reported on all the TV stations, and it didn't make it to the front page of at least one of the newspapers.

Facts: The memorial is still there. The memorial is a bench with the teacher's name on it. It is painted blue and gold because the teacher like West Virginia University and those are the colors of that school. After that particular teacher's students have graduated and moved on, the memorial will just be known as the "blue bench."

The crosses had to go for the same reason that the stone 10 Commandments had to be removed from the Alabama court room. Anybody with a fully functioning brain would have known not to put crosses up on public property.

Old 02-21-2015, 06:22 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,723,660 times
"I don't know why Fox decided to pick up this story."

I think Shirina nailed it, pretty much.

Old 02-21-2015, 09:34 AM

11,110 posts, read 9,814,649 times
Quote:

Options:

1) If one insists on using public property for the memorial, make it a non-religious memorial.

2) If one insists on making it a religious memorial, erect it on private property.

3) Play the victim and wail about the terrible injustice of it all...

Old 02-21-2015, 09:38 AM

4,067 posts, read 2,273,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirina View Post
First of all, it's "intolerant" not "intolerate." I try not to be a spelling and grammar Nazi, but sometimes I just can't ignore a spelling "mistake" repeated more than once.

Secondly, they don't necessarily represent mainstream atheism ... just like the guy who burned down the sex shop doesn't represent mainstream Christianity.

Freaking FOX NEWS? Are you serious? Fox News hates atheists even more than they hate gays, Muslims, and commies. Who the hell really knows if what they're saying about this event is even accurate given that they've been caught lying and exaggerating about stories before. In fact, lying has become so much a part of what they do that Bill O'Reilly is getting away with claiming HE was in a warzone when he wasn't - but Brian Williams will lose his entire career for saying he was in one chopper when he was in the other chopper. The fact that Fox doesn't discipline its journalists for spewing bullshyte should tell you something about their integrity.

Note, too, that NONE of the other news networks or newspapers are carrying this story. Why? Because it's not news. Yet Fox LOVES to sniff around the country to find these local stories just so they can blast atheists. You won't see Fox reporting on some Christian group and its efforts at banning books from a public library - which happens every ... single ... day somewhere in America. Nope, they'll only attack atheists. They even had a show to discuss whether atheists should just "shut up." As if that should even be a discussion. (Yeah, 1st Amendment and what not ...)

Duh! Derpy derpy derp. Duhy ....

Of COURSE we want freedom FROM religion. Because you cannot have freedom OF religion without also having freedom FROM religion.

Think about it for more than two nanoseconds, okay, Jeff? You just might understand why what I just said is true.

Interesting...you've attacked his spelling, you've attacked his source, you've attacked his opinion YET you have completely ignored the story.

Old 02-21-2015, 10:54 AM

6,961 posts, read 4,615,972 times
Of course it had to be a cross. The violent, tortuous death of a man with nails pounded into he ankles and wrists is the perfect way to remember a young teacher. Yeah, that's it.

We usually plant something when someone dies. The memorial is beautiful and everyone can enjoy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality