Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2015, 04:00 PM

32,530 posts, read 22,033,127 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
Yes a simple majority to pass a bill into law. A simple majority in the Supreme Court to decide the law unconstitutional. In both countries to change or amend the constitution requires more than a simple majority. I well remember when we got our new constitution. The poster you responded to was correct.
A new constitution?...Where are you from?...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2015, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonkonkomaNative View Post
The local KKK group are members of a church around here. Thank you for mansplaining it for me.
You are most welcome...

Old 02-21-2015, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonkonkomaNative View Post
Your poor attempt to advocate tells about your mindset. And it was the first thing you thought of as a deeply flawed comparison. Your faith? I would be happy to know you did not represent any ideology.

I do not have to get over it, and that makes you angry. Again, would you tell Mary to get over it?

What did I miss since the 50"s? Tell me what was going on that I missed. Share your knowledge with me.
Please.

I have chills with you getting psychological on me. Truly, the thought is chilling.
Yes...I would tell Mary to get over it, if she actually existed...

Old 02-21-2015, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
Yes a simple majority to pass a bill into law. A simple majority in the Supreme Court to decide the law unconstitutional. In both countries to change or amend the constitution requires more than a simple majority. I well remember when we got our new constitution. The poster you responded to was correct.
You didn't read the definition, did you?...

Old 02-21-2015, 04:07 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,325,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
A new constitution?...Where are you from?...
You did mention Canada in your definition and we wrote a brand new one in 1982.

That was the reason for my reply, the thread although interesting is not my concern not being American.

Old 02-21-2015, 04:10 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,546,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
A sincere question, jeffbase... If the symbol on the bench represented a religion other than Christianity, would you want that symbol removed?
My guess is we would not be having this thread, because no one would sue to have the symbol removed.

Old 02-21-2015, 04:11 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,325,044 times
Quote:
You didn't read the definition, did you?...
The role of a constitution was given to over role a majority and you brought up majority and democracy. I did read it but if I missed your point I apologize. Majority does not rule, can just make laws.

Old 02-21-2015, 04:15 PM

6,961 posts, read 4,615,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Hey now....I'd bey lying if I never said that people claiming to be Christians had done wrong, hateful, and stupid stuff. But that's kind of a rude comment.

Good point. I get what you're saying. It is interesting that people want them in government buildings, but not necessarily displayed prominently on their front yard. That's kind of a profound statement, actually. Great point.
Viz I do not want to be rude. I sincerely apologize.

I get memorials, but why that one thing. Was the stone not enough?

I always wondered why people do not put as many crosses as flamingos on their lawns. It makes sense if you live your faith, you would put crosses on the lawn. I have have lots of cheezy flamingos. I would have lots of crosses if I were so inclined.

I have a different take on it. I know a sculptor who made a bottle tree. On each branch he placed a wine bottle. Every leaf was a fish. It represented Jesus miracles. Someone stole it from his yard, but bottle trees started popping up in places.

I have a dear friend, and his is home, is also the church, and crosses are every where outside. He knows how I feel about crosses. It doe not effect our friendship.

I was commissioned for a stained glass piece for his church of a large cross and I declined, but will be making a piece with loaves, fish, wine, grapes. It speaks to how Jesus lived, not how he died.

Old 02-21-2015, 04:16 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,546,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
What if there is a minority of Jews, Muslims, Zoroastrians, or Hindus living in that town?

"Majority rule" is two wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for dinner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
Actually no. See there's this thing called the Constitution that puts restrictions on majority rule.

We see why the far right has contempt for the Supreme Court.
So elect officials and pass bills not by who or what gets the most votes! Minority rule! A small group who does what they want, despite the majority of the people. That my friend is how it is done in Latin America and in the Middle East!

Old 02-21-2015, 04:21 PM

6,961 posts, read 4,615,972 times
Quote:
Yes...I would tell Mary to get over it, if she actually existed...

Scenario.

Your father was killed by multiple gunshots in a drive by. Your mother was standing right next to him holding your sister.

You are out with your mother a few weeks later and you hear the backfire of a car. Your mother reacts.
She is in full blown panic mode. She is sweating profusely. All she wants to do is run.

You grab her arm and say... Get over it.. oooh dad got shot oooh. get over it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality