Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2015, 07:25 PM

6,961 posts, read 4,615,972 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
I don't believe you.
The truth does set you free, jimmie.

Give me a specific thing you think I covet or lie about.

I am am content with my blessings. They are abundant. Is that not enough? Must I want or covet something else?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2015, 09:16 PM

7,588 posts, read 6,628,754 times
Quote:
Really? For no reason?
Yes. No reason whatsoever. How many infants did he (supposedly) drown in the flood, for example?

Last edited by Mr. In-Between; 02-20-2015 at 09:24 PM..

Old 02-20-2015, 09:36 PM

20,441 posts, read 12,788,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert_The_Crocodile View Post
Yes. No reason whatsoever. How many infants did he (supposedly) drown in the flood, for example?
What is the reason God offered, according to Scripture?

Old 02-20-2015, 10:13 PM

7,588 posts, read 6,628,754 times
Depends on which innocent victims we're discussing. Since I used the example of Noah, we'll stick with that. As I recall, there were two similar but different reasons given - one being that god had decided that mankind had become violent and corrupt, the other that god had declared us evil and wicked.

So, if we accept the accuracy of that scripture (and my memory of it, for that matter) then we're left with the conclusion that god drowned many thousands of infant children simply because he created an imperfect species. Because if an infant child is - by its very nature - corrupt, violent, wicked, and evil, then it can not possibly be the fault of the infant (because an infant is not capable of deciding to become wicked, evil, violent, or corrupt), or even the fault of the parents - because an infant child is incapable of being taught to be evil, corrupt, wicked, or violent. If an infant child is born wicked, then it can only be the fault of the deity who created it.

So, yeah - no reason whatsoever.

Old 02-20-2015, 11:06 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,184,822 times
Quote:
Depends on which innocent victims we're discussing. Since I used the example of Noah, we'll stick with that. As I recall, there were two similar but different reasons given - one being that god had decided that mankind had become violent and corrupt, the other that god had declared us evil and wicked.

So, if we accept the accuracy of that scripture (and my memory of it, for that matter) then we're left with the conclusion that god drowned many thousands of infant children simply because he created an imperfect species. Because if an infant child is - by its very nature - corrupt, violent, wicked, and evil, then it can not possibly be the fault of the infant (because an infant is not capable of deciding to become wicked, evil, violent, or corrupt), or even the fault of the parents - because an infant child is incapable of being taught to be evil, corrupt, wicked, or violent. If an infant child is born wicked, then it can only be the fault of the deity who created it.

That's how I read it.

The biblical god Moderator cut: goofed up.

Royally.

We survived despite him.

(Other)God bless us all, everyone.

Last edited by mensaguy; 02-21-2015 at 09:33 AM.. Reason: Trying to turn PG-13 into a "G" rating to appease those easily offended.

Old 02-20-2015, 11:32 PM

6,324 posts, read 4,323,868 times
Quote:
What is the reason God offered, according to Scripture?
Let's just continue to ignore the telltale signs of the Noah story being just that: a story.

Whenever you run across impossible extremes, you should immediately think to yourself, "Hey, this must be a story of some kind but certainly not an historical event."

Yet when the Bible makes the idiotic claim that EVERYONE on the planet was somehow evil, some folks take that as the absolute truth. What nonsense. It just goes to show the rational people how far others are willing to go in order to believe the Bible to be an historical account of the Bronze Age.

I mean, come on ... really? Every last person was evil? There's no reason to believe such a stupid claim.

What's more, the Bible isn't very specific on just HOW the entire human population was evil. Yeah, they were just evil and that's all we need to know. Of course, being "evil" could mean anything from total anarchy and the complete breakdown of law and morality - or it could simply mean too many people were picking up sticks on the Sabbath. Besides, we're not supposed to use our brains when it comes to religious claims. Nope. You're just supposed to believe it. Blindly. No questions asked.

Because when you start using your brain, when you begin asking questions .... uh oh. Now the Bible, especially the Old Testament hijinx, makes less and less sense.

Old 02-20-2015, 11:33 PM

5,187 posts, read 6,942,015 times
Quote:

So you mean to tell me there was no warning to these people before the flood ? There was no warning or something said to Adam and Eve in the Garden of Eden ? You mean God didn't warn the people of Sodom and Gomorrah by sending Angels to find people who would repent to save the place ? It sounds and is a prodigious amount of disobedience on man's part.

Last edited by perry335654; 02-20-2015 at 11:42 PM..

Old 02-20-2015, 11:42 PM

6,324 posts, read 4,323,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by perry335654 View Post
So you mean to tell me there was no warning to these people ?
A warning is irrelevant.

And uh, I don't recall God handing out warnings to the Aborigines in Australia or the precursors of the Mayans and Aztecs, the Mongols on the Russian steppes, the Inuits living above the Arctic Circle, or any of the tribes living in the Amazon, the jungles of Africa, or the wilds of Papua New Guinea. These so-called "warnings" weren't even handed out in civilized places like China and India.

Nope. God kept everything tightly bound up in that small patch of desert in the Middle East. So, according to your version of history, some poor sod living in Tibet looked up and saw all of this water ... and died not having the SLIGHTEST knowledge or understanding of what was happening.

Uh huh, yep. Because of some morons in the Middle East didn't heed God's warning, everyone must die.

And yet God is supposed to be fair and just. What a crock of manure.

Old 02-20-2015, 11:52 PM

5,187 posts, read 6,942,015 times
+
When a person says he is not a sinner, he is a liar as we are born in to a sinful nature world. If you break one of the commandments it is as if you broke all of them.. This is why we can't save our self we need a Savior, we may think we are good and caring people but our garments are like filthy rags, we need to repent of our sins by having a change of heart and mind.

Old 02-21-2015, 12:11 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,184,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by perry335654 View Post
+
When a person says he is not a sinner, he is a liar as we are born in to a sinful nature world. If you break one of the commandments it is as if you broke all of them.. This is why we can't save our self we need a Savior, we may think we are good and caring people but our garments are like filthy rags, we need to repent of our sins by having a change of heart and mind.
Perry, I'm very sorry you think so little of yourself.

I happen to think you're a good man with a mistaken idea of what God might want. I hope your thinking changes before you cash in your chips.

Life is for living - for extracting as much joy and embracing as much knowledge as possible.

Oh yeah, and learning how to deal with pain. But you know about that part.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality