Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2015, 07:19 AM

6,324 posts, read 4,323,868 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
My conscience stays working without daily, weekly reminders or group sessions.
Do you 'guys' have a problem with your consciences staying active?
SOME Christians go through their lives inviting God/Jesus into every little decision they make. Thus "God" is used both as a crutch and as an affirmation. The crutch comes into play by giving the decision-maker confidence that he made the right choice. The affirmation occurs when the decision is challenged in some way - even when the decision is obviously a stupid one. (Which is why we still have people dissing evolution and the Big Bang).

If anyone doubts the power of having both a crutch and affirmation in a make-believe entity, I leave you with just three words:

Abraham and Isaac.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2015, 07:43 AM

7,588 posts, read 6,628,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
No. Do you ever have difficulties, and seek help?
Knowing the difference between right and wrong? No. Of course not. Is that really what you mean?

Old 02-20-2015, 07:53 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,197,836 times
Quote:
No. Do you ever have difficulties, and seek help?
As Albert_The_Crocodile just stated, knowing or remembering right from wrong? No.
Seek help doing what? Not stealing, murdering, etc or cleaning my gutters?
I did ask somebody else to clean the gutters.

Old 02-20-2015, 10:07 AM

20,441 posts, read 12,788,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert_The_Crocodile View Post
Knowing the difference between right and wrong? No. Of course not. Is that really what you mean?
No, that's not what I meant. You brought up the other thread about Christians seeking help from God. As I mentioned there, I was referring to struggling with a particular sin. Drug/alchohol addiction, sexual sins, etc.

People of all kinds, religious or not, seek help with problems.

Old 02-20-2015, 10:10 AM

Quote:
As Albert_The_Crocodile just stated, knowing or remembering right from wrong? No.
Seek help doing what? Not stealing, murdering, etc or cleaning my gutters?
I did ask somebody else to clean the gutters.
Sheesh! You guys are purposely making this conversation difficult. Don't act like you don't understand.

Old 02-20-2015, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Sheesh! You guys are purposely making this conversation difficult. Don't act like you don't understand.
I think we understand but not sure you do.
Yes, all kinds of people might seek help when they don't seem to be making any headway with certain behaviors that they wish to change but that can be done with therapy of different sorts....sometimes with professionals...sometimes with friends...sometimes through more concentrated self-analysis.

All those methods still require self motivation and determination and so, are basically mastered by one's own efforts.
Even you 'guys' have to put the same amount of effort into it . You just have been brow-beaten into not giving yourselves any credit.

Those types of problems seldom, however, aren't generally the kinds of things involving morals and nothing most people need on a day to day basis.
They are, rather, exceptions.

Old 02-20-2015, 10:41 AM

Quote:
I think we understand but not sure you do.
Yes, all kinds of people might seek help when they don't seem to be making any headway with certain behaviors that they wish to change but that can be done with therapy of different sorts....sometimes with professionals...sometimes with friends...sometimes through more concentrated self-analysis.

All those methods still require self motivation and determination and so, are basically mastered by one's own efforts.
Even you 'guys' have to put the same amount of effort into it . You just have been brow-beaten into not giving yourselves any credit.
Well, yes, I believe in the power of God and prayer. Similiar to getting help from a friend.

Old 02-20-2015, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Well, yes, I believe in the power of God and prayer. Similiar to getting help from a friend.
I had in mind a one on one conversation where thoughts and ideas can be tossed back and forth.
If you have experienced anything remotely similar we have to conclude the words, questions, exploration ,reasoning and deductions were all one sided.
Or do you have friends that just quietly listen to your problems and then just say "Zap, you're fixed!!"

Old 02-20-2015, 02:45 PM

Quote:
I had in mind a one on one conversation where thoughts and ideas can be tossed back and forth.
If you have experienced anything remotely similar we have to conclude the words, questions, exploration ,reasoning and deductions were all one sided.
Or do you have friends that just quietly listen to your problems and then just say "Zap, you're fixed!!"
God is not a magic genie. He's our heavenly Father. Like any loving father, He cares for us, gives us insight and wisdom, listens to us, etc.

Old 02-20-2015, 03:04 PM

7,588 posts, read 6,628,754 times
...kills you if he feels like it....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality