Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2015, 04:56 PM

6,961 posts, read 4,615,972 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
For the sake of argument, the 10 Commandments.

How difficult is keeping the commandments? It seems much ado, and hardly worth wearing a hair shirt telling others they are going to a fiery hell.

Are some Christians more susceptible to murder, covet, and steal? So much so that big books are written about it?

I don't covet, murder, steal, lie, or take anyone's name in vain. If I call your name it is never in vain.

God is just a title. Like General, or Senator. My sister gave God a name. She called him Jimmy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2015, 05:07 PM

23,173 posts, read 26,197,836 times
Quote:
For the sake of argument, the 10 Commandments.

Well, obviously, the ones referring to god have no meaning to me but shouldn't give you any problems.

The rest I don't seem to have any trouble wrestling with although I had good parents.
If I had the monster-like parents like some we're all aware of, I can't see how that makes any sense at all.
I don't even know how you guys can defend that one in some cases.
So, now, tell me what's so troublesome to you that you keep needing help ?

Old 02-20-2015, 05:29 PM

5,187 posts, read 6,942,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
What do you consider sinning,jimmie?
The ten commandments or some of the dozens of things that get argued about over on the Christianity forum?
Sinning is anything that misses the mark of God, whether it be going over the speed limit or stealing, sin is sin as there are different price tags for those misdeeds here on Earth. Our values and morals start from home as they are taught to us by our parents. As kids we our taught what is right and wrong and punished when we don't mind our parents. When parents bring their children to church and raise them up in the way of the Lord, the moral compass is strengthened in one's children. As they grow older and accept Christ as their Savior they are convicted by the Holy Spirit and something as believers that does not leave us as His conviction is strong and sanctifies us from non-believers

Old 02-20-2015, 05:47 PM

20,441 posts, read 12,788,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Well, obviously, the ones referring to god have no meaning to me but shouldn't give you any problems.

The rest I don't seem to have any trouble wrestling with although I had good parents.
If I had the monster-like parents like some we're all aware of, I can't see how that makes any sense at all.
I don't even know how you guys can defend that one in some cases.
So, now, tell me what's so troublesome to you that you keep needing help ?
You've never lied or coveted?

Old 02-20-2015, 06:22 PM

Quote:
You've never lied or coveted?
Is that hard to believe?

Old 02-20-2015, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonkonkomaNative View Post
Is that hard to believe?
Yes.

Old 02-20-2015, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Yes.

Why? Are the commandments really so difficult to follow?

How much coveting can anyone do? Coveting is not possible when you are satisfied with your blessings.
Coveting is counterproductive behavior, too. If I want something and my neighbor has it, I borrow it. Same for the neighbor.

I do not understand the whole covet the husband and the wife thing either. It was covered in 7. Seems a bit redundant.

There is no reason to lie. The truth is easier to remember and most of time more interesting. The truth does not cause anxiety either.

Murder?
Stealing?

easy peezy.

Old 02-20-2015, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Why? Are the commandments really so difficult to follow?

How much coveting can anyone do? Coveting is not possible when you are satisfied with your blessings.
Coveting is counterproductive behavior, too. If I want something and my neighbor has it, I borrow it. Same for the neighbor.

I do not understand the whole covet the husband and the wife thing either. It was covered in 7. Seems a bit redundant.

There is no reason to lie. The truth is easier to remember and most of time more interesting. The truth does not cause anxiety either.

Murder?
Stealing?

easy peezy.
So you've never lied or coveted?

Old 02-20-2015, 07:04 PM

Quote:
So you've never lied or coveted?

I have never lied as an adult, and I have been an adult decades longer than a child. Any lie as a child was venial at best. I cannot even remember any of them.

No. I do not and have never coveted anything. I am capable of enjoying things and accomplishments not my own. I like when people are successful. The success of others does not threaten me, nor does it make me want what they have.

What have you coveted? I don't have a reference for it.

Old 02-20-2015, 07:20 PM

Quote:
I have never lied as an adult, and I have been an adult decades longer than a child. Any lie as a child was venial at best. I cannot even remember any of them.

No. I do not and have never coveted anything. I am capable of enjoying things and accomplishments not my own. I like when people are successful. The success of others does not threaten me, nor does it make me want what they have.

What have you coveted? I don't have a reference for it.
I don't believe you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality