Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2013, 03:33 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,184,822 times

Advertisements

That is the question I would like to pose - primarily to the Christian Fundamentalists - though it would apply equally to any who believe that homosexuality is a choice.

Old 03-07-2013, 04:46 PM

794 posts, read 1,409,382 times
People who believe homosexuality is a choice are bisexual, and they chose a partner of the opposite sex. Not everyone is bisexual. Some people have a choice to be with a partner of either sex, others don't.

Old 03-07-2013, 04:57 PM

2,770 posts, read 2,604,192 times
I've been called a "fundamentalist". I believe people are born homosexual though. . .

After living in the Bay Area for awhile, you just learn that people are the way they are.

I DO believe though that we have a choice to have sex. There is nothing wrong with celibacy. Some people who are heterosexual are even called to be celibate. I'm not talking about priests or nuns. When someone doesn't put their attention on a spouse, they can put full attention on ministry, serving people and God.

Acting on our carnal nature is the only choice we have.

Old 03-07-2013, 05:07 PM

I agree, Wild Colonial Girl.

And jdelectro, there's no arguing that having sex is a choice (unless one is molested/raped).

Thank you for your responses.

Still hoping to hear when the fundamentalists made their choice though. I'd also like them to elaborate as to whether the choice was a difficult one.

Old 03-07-2013, 05:26 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,546,803 times
We all have tendencies/desires. We all have the choice on whether to act on them or not.

As a Christian, I don't care if people want to have gay sex. Just don't call me bigot if say gay sex is a sin.

As a Christian, I don't care if people want commit adultry. Just don't call me bigot if I say adultry is a sin.

As a Christian, I don't care if people want to lie. Just don't call me bigot if say lying is a sin.

As a Christian, I don't care if people want to covet. Just don't call me bigot if say coveting is a sin.

Get my point? This from a non-fundie.

Old 03-07-2013, 05:34 PM

344 posts, read 396,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
That is the question I would like to pose - primarily to the Christian Fundamentalists - though it would apply equally to any who believe that homosexuality is a choice.
I'm not a fundamentalist. I'll say that right up front so people can ignore this post.

I think a fundamentalist will say that the natural sexual orientation is heterosexuality and the "choice" is to be homosexual. That avoids the problem of an initial middle ground, and a two directional choice. As for homosexuality in general, I get a bit agitated with this very question of "choice". It implies that there is a wrong sexual orientation, in other words, homosexuality is in some way an abomination, but its "victims" had no choice, so their homosexuality should be excused. There is no reason for a gay person to plead that he or she had no choice in their sexuality. This I say simply because being gay is a moral and acceptable state of being.

American society got through something very similar 50 years ago when it was black people who were born as they were, without a choice.

Old 03-07-2013, 05:46 PM

1,755 posts, read 2,997,475 times
I'm not a fundamentalist either but while I have had friends (male mostly) that I always knew were very feminine in energy, I've also known girls who were straight who became pregnant by men who later did not want them, they had abortions and found solace in the arms of a woman. At that point they detested men and decided that women were better companions because the men in their lives let them down. :/

So I think both are possible.

Old 03-07-2013, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royalite View Post
I'm not a fundamentalist either but while I have had friends (male mostly) that I always knew were very feminine in energy, I've also known girls who were straight who became pregnant by men who later did not want them, they had abortions and found solace in the arms of a woman. At that point they detested men and decided that women were better companions because the men in their lives let them down. :/

So I think both are possible.
I agree. Although, based on no science whatsoever, it's my sense that most male gays are born but a significant proportion (20%? 30%?) of lesbians may have been drawn in that direction by way of male brutality - particularly if sexual in nature during their early, formative years.*

Still waiting to hear from those who chose to be heterosexual.

*I am perfectly willing to be corrected if my gut feeling has been shown to be false based on some generally-accepted, empirically-arrived-at factual information that indicates otherwise.

Old 03-07-2013, 06:40 PM

28,098 posts, read 29,963,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Colonial Girl View Post
People who believe homosexuality is a choice are bisexual, and they chose a partner of the opposite sex. Not everyone is bisexual. Some people have a choice to be with a partner of either sex, others don't.
I'm going to assume you're straight. Please correct me if I'm wrong about that. So what exactly went into your choice? How old were you decided to be straight? What factors did you consider in making your decision? Did you weigh the pros and cons of your choice? What was it that tipped the scale?

Old 03-07-2013, 06:42 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
about the time i found a really good religion that works. a small price to pay indeed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.