Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2013, 06:43 PM

28,104 posts, read 30,010,141 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Colonial Girl View Post
People who believe homosexuality is a choice are bisexual, and they chose a partner of the opposite sex.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
I agree, Wild Colonial Girl.
You do? You agree that people who believe homosexuality is a choice are bixsexual? This doesn't sound like what you were saying in your OP. What am I missing?

Old 03-07-2013, 07:35 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,219,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
You do? You agree that people who believe homosexuality is a choice are bixsexual? This doesn't sound like what you were saying in your OP. What am I missing?
What you're missing is - if I understand Colonial Girl correctly - is that bisexuals are the only ones, who are more-or-less "choosing" their sexuality. They may switch from one gender to the other when it comes to intimate relationships.

Most other people, in my opinion, whether gay or straight, are born that way.

Does that clarify things?

(By the way, I also believe most bisexuals were very likely born with that inclination - just to muddy the water further.)

Old 03-07-2013, 10:08 PM

28,104 posts, read 30,010,141 times
Quote:
What you're missing is - if I understand Colonial Girl correctly - is that bisexuals are the only ones, who are more-or-less "choosing" their sexuality. They may switch from one gender to the other when it comes to intimate relationships.

Most other people, in my opinion, whether gay or straight, are born that way.

Does that clarify things?

(By the way, I also believe most bisexuals were very likely born with that inclination - just to muddy the water further.)
Actually, no it doesn't clarify things, especially not when you threw in that last sentence. The way I see it, I am straight because, as a woman, I am physically attracted to men and not to other women. (Got myself a great one, too, by the way. ) If I were physically attracted to women as opposed to men, I'd be gay (or technically lesbian, I guess). If I were physically attracted to both men and women, I'd be bisexual. I don't think it would be a choice in any of those three cases.

Old 03-07-2013, 10:55 PM

11,284 posts, read 11,053,466 times
Quote:
That is the question I would like to pose - primarily to the Christian Fundamentalists - though it would apply equally to any who believe that homosexuality is a choice.
Have you stopped beating your wife yet?

Fundies consider that question as loaded as yours is. You'll never get a straight answer from them.

Old 03-07-2013, 11:10 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,219,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Actually, no it doesn't clarify things, especially not when you threw in that last sentence. The way I see it, I am straight because, as a woman, I am physically attracted to men and not to other women. (Got myself a great one, too, by the way. ) If I were physically attracted to women as opposed to men, I'd be gay (or technically lesbian, I guess). If I were physically attracted to both men and women, I'd be bisexual. I don't think it would be a choice in any of those three cases.
I'll try once more.

Most of us are hardwired to be either straight or gay and we cannot comfortably "choose" to express our sexuality with the gender that doesn't attract us.

Bisexuals may be born with that predilection, but they have a choice in how to express it in any given relationship, as they are drawn to both men and women.

If that didn't work, I'll try again after a night's sleep.

Old 03-07-2013, 11:44 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,214,477 times
Quote:
That is the question I would like to pose - primarily to the Christian Fundamentalists - though it would apply equally to any who believe that homosexuality is a choice.
Every time I am intimate with my wife.

Quote:
I'll try once more.

Most of us are hardwired to be either straight or gay and we cannot comfortably "choose" to express our sexuality with the gender that doesn't attract us.

Bisexuals may be born with that predilection, but they have a choice in how to express it in any given relationship, as they are drawn to both men and women.

If that didn't work, I'll try again after a night's sleep.
So what? What exactly is the point? I honestly don't care who or what a person is attracted to. There are people in this world attracted to all sorts of sick stuff.

Old 03-08-2013, 01:55 AM

6,222 posts, read 4,017,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post

So what? What exactly is the point? I honestly don't care who or what a person is attracted to. There are people in this world attracted to all sorts of sick stuff.
Marrying the Eiffel Tower and Other Inanimate Objects

Old 03-08-2013, 06:25 AM

16,708 posts, read 15,709,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Royalite View Post
I'm not a fundamentalist either but while I have had friends (male mostly) that I always knew were very feminine in energy, I've also known girls who were straight who became pregnant by men who later did not want them, they had abortions and found solace in the arms of a woman. At that point they detested men and decided that women were better companions because the men in their lives let them down. :/ .....
Quote:
I agree. Although, based on no science whatsoever, it's my sense that most male gays are born but a significant proportion (20%? 30%?) of lesbians may have been drawn in that direction by way of male brutality - particularly if sexual in nature during their early, formative years.* .....
There have been some indicators I've read in the past year or so that make me think there are more female bisexuals than male. I have no idea why. My guess is that a person would have to have been born with an openness to bisexuality for these examples to develop as Royalite and TroutDude have described.

Old 03-08-2013, 06:32 AM

16,708 posts, read 15,709,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
about the time i found a really good religion that works. a small price to pay indeed.
Is this your answer to the question posed in the thread title? If it is, it sounds like you just said you decided to be heterosexual when you "found a really good religion that works." The implication is that you were not heterosexual before finding that religion.

I would be willing to predict that somebody at a research institution would be really, really interested in doing an in-depth study of your mind.

Old 03-08-2013, 07:45 AM

17,842 posts, read 14,399,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post

So what is your sexual orientation when you are doing the shopping?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality