Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2013, 01:09 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,277,958 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Because there is an increasingly intolerant group of people that feel the need to rip into any and everyone that dares to read their Bibles.
Not sure how you managed that conclusion based on this thread's topic.

If it is aimed at me, you couldn't be more wrong.

Last edited by TroutDude; 03-08-2013 at 01:21 PM.. Reason: Left out a "you."

Old 03-08-2013, 02:59 PM

2,523 posts, read 1,479,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
That is the question I would like to pose - primarily to the Christian Fundamentalists - though it would apply equally to any who believe that homosexuality is a choice.
Homosexuality is not a choice. (Though some do experiment) Christians who say it is, haven't studied enough of what their Bible has been saying. Yet I digress.

Old 03-08-2013, 04:34 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,276,469 times
Quote:
Because there is an increasingly intolerant group of people that feel the need to rip into any and everyone that dares to read their Bibles.
Yeah. I'm pretty open about being a Christian. No. I'm VERY open about being a Christian. I read the Bible. I've had the Bible sitting on my desk at work. On the seat next to me in my car that heathens have gotten into to ride to lunch. Or after they've called and said, "Help! I have a flat!"

I've never been ripped into, criticized, put down, taunted or had anyone be the least bit rude to me for "daring" to read the Bible. Ever.

If you feel "ripped into" my guess is it's not because you read the Bible.

Last edited by DewDropInn; 03-08-2013 at 04:42 PM..

Old 03-08-2013, 04:56 PM

17,842 posts, read 14,418,114 times
Quote:
I'm a male. I was created to be with women.
If you believe you were 'created' (or born) to be heterosexual, then obviously you didn't 'choose' to be heterosexual.

Old 03-08-2013, 05:00 PM

17,842 posts, read 14,418,114 times
Quote:
I read the Bible.

It appears to me that you don't like being challenged on your interpretation of the Bible because you believe only your interpretation is 'right'. Therefore you think 'other' people are being 'intolerant' when they challenge your interpretation and give their own.

But what does the Bible have to do with this topic anyway?

Where is there anything in the Bible about homosexuality as an innate orientation as modern science has shown it to be? The handful of references to any male same-gender sex acts are only mentioned in the context of male rape (which research and history shows is mostly committed by men with a heterosexual orientation), and idolatrous pagan worshipping practices. There is nothing at in the Bible about female/female sex acts. According to early church fathers like Augustine and others, the reference in Romans 1:27 is about women having anal sex with men in an idolatrous pagan worshipping context.

There is a huge difference between people who were innately heterosexual engaging in same-gender sex acts in the context of rape or as a ritual in ancient pagan worshipping practices and 21st century people who are gay or lesbian in committed loving relationships.

I see the 'intolerance' being from people who DON'T actually 'read the Bible' or know anything about the cultures in which the texts were written, yet use it to vilify and discriminate against 21st century gay and lesbian people.

Last edited by Ceist; 03-08-2013 at 05:18 PM..

Old 03-08-2013, 05:53 PM

1,266 posts, read 1,802,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
We all have tendencies/desires. We all have the choice on whether to act on them or not.

As a Christian, I don't care if people want to have gay sex. Just don't call me bigot if say gay sex is a sin.

As a Christian, I don't care if people want commit adultry. Just don't call me bigot if I say adultry is a sin.

As a Christian, I don't care if people want to lie. Just don't call me bigot if say lying is a sin.

As a Christian, I don't care if people want to covet. Just don't call me bigot if say coveting is a sin.
We won't call you a bigot, just silly and a bit backwards and ignorant. Just as if you said long hair, or eating shellfish or pork were a sin (like the Bible says).

You can call all those things whatever you wish. Sin is a man made concept and what constitutes a "sin" varies from place to place and time period. But in the end it is pretty much irrelevant because if there is a God it isn't the primitive tribal totem deity in the Bible, and is likely too intelligent to concern itself with "sin".

Last edited by MrBlueSky_; 03-08-2013 at 06:05 PM..

Old 03-08-2013, 06:01 PM

7,280 posts, read 10,985,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
That is the question I would like to pose - primarily to the Christian Fundamentalists - though it would apply equally to any who believe that homosexuality is a choice.
You can choose to behave as a homosexual or heterosexual or bisexual. That can also be different than what you are. Hopefully you can figure that out. Some people know, some find out eventually and some never do.

Old 03-08-2013, 07:40 PM

28,149 posts, read 30,093,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Colonial Girl View Post
But, if you as a bisexual woman were a religious fundamentalist, you'd choose to be with a man, and you'd expect others to be able to make the same choice.
Yes, I'm sure you're right about that. I'm just glad I'm not a fundamentalist because extremism of any kind (religious, political, etc.) makes me crazy.

Quote:
People with the extreme sexuality on either end don't have a choice, and it's easy for us to see the POV of people on the other end of the spectrum.
I'm not sure I agree that "people with extreme sexuality on either end don't have a choice." I'd say they definitely don't have a choice as to whom they are attracted to, but attraction doesn't have to mean acting on it (well, except in Vizio's case, I suppose since he "becomes" heterosexual whenever he is intimate with his wife). Personally, I can't imagine being attracted to another woman, but I know for a fact that I was attracted to little boys long, long before anybody ever told me I was "supposed to" be. As far as I'm concerned, sexual orientation is absolutely not a choice, and the sole response to the OP by a fundamentalist Christian is exactly what I would have anticipated: avoidance.

Old 03-08-2013, 07:45 PM

28,149 posts, read 30,093,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBlueSky_ View Post
We won't call you a bigot, just silly and a bit backwards and ignorant. Just as if you said long hair, or eating shellfish or pork were a sin (like the Bible says).

You can call all those things whatever you wish. Sin is a man made concept and what constitutes a "sin" varies from place to place and time period. But in the end it is pretty much irrelevant because if there is a God it isn't the primitive tribal totem deity in the Bible, and is likely too intelligent to concern itself with "sin".
As far as I'm concerned, I think it's entirely appropriate for any group of religious people to say that "such and such is a sin." I believe certain behaviors are "sinful" and for that reason, I don't engage in them. What some religious people don't seem to realize, though, is that not everyone shares their beliefs and that people who don't believe certain things are "sinful" should not be made to comply with the beliefs of those who do. We can't live peaceably in a secular society in which all of the "laws" are determined by any one religious group.

Old 03-08-2013, 07:46 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,056,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Knife View Post
You can choose to behave as a homosexual or heterosexual or bisexual. That can also be different than what you are. Hopefully you can figure that out. Some people know, some find out eventually and some never do.
I don't think its that simple, unless you are bisexual. I know gay men that could never chose to be with a woman and straight guys that could never chose to be with a man. IMO, sexuality isn't a choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality