Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2013, 07:52 AM

1,755 posts, read 3,005,052 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
There have been some indicators I've read in the past year or so that make me think there are more female bisexuals than male. I have no idea why. My guess is that a person would have to have been born with an openness to bisexuality for these examples to develop as Royalite and TroutDude have described.
I think it's easier for women to slip I to it just because there's certain things we are allowed to do from a societal stand point that men can't. Like kissing and just cohabitating together into old age etc. our barriers on what's acceptable are lower imo

As a kid I explored my sexuality with both genders and found it possible to have a carnal response to both and even friendship with both withiut feeling like i had to play a certain role and I think those experiences make me very balanced and appreciative of both genders and their anatomy. I don't get attracted to people often at all but when I am it's to men. Something about what they offer (and what i can offer them) as opposed to women stands out to me more and is more appealing. That's just me though.

Old 03-08-2013, 09:01 AM

28,151 posts, read 30,103,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
I'll try once more.

Most of us are hardwired to be either straight or gay and we cannot comfortably "choose" to express our sexuality with the gender that doesn't attract us.

Bisexuals may be born with that predilection, but they have a choice in how to express it in any given relationship, as they are drawn to both men and women.

If that didn't work, I'll try again after a night's sleep.
LOL, Okay, I think I got it this time. Not sure whether I agree or not, but I'll give it some thought. Hope you had a good night's sleep.

Old 03-08-2013, 09:09 AM

28,151 posts, read 30,103,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Every time I am intimate with my wife.
So you become heterosexual every time you are intimate with your wife... And before you were intimate with her (or with anybody else, as the case may be), you were neither heterosexual or homosexual? In other words, sexual preference is linked specifically to sexual intimacy and not to sexual attraction. That would imply that anyone who has never been intimate with anyone is actually asexual. Would I be understanding you correctly?

Quote:
So what? What exactly is the point? I honestly don't care who or what a person is attracted to. There are people in this world attracted to all sorts of sick stuff.
I think you're missing the point. The point isn't whether or not you care who someone is attracted to, but whether you think sexual attraction is a choice or not. And since you apparently think it is, the OP is asking what factored into your choice and when this choice took place. ("Every time I am intimate with my wife" really doesn't answer that question.)

Old 03-08-2013, 09:41 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,284,769 times
I appreciate all the replies folks. And must admit I'm not very surprised that so far, no fundamentalist Christian has - ahem - chosen to answer the question.

Old 03-08-2013, 10:20 AM

11,372 posts, read 11,119,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
I think you're missing the point. The point isn't whether or not you care who someone is attracted to, but whether you think sexual attraction is a choice or not. And since you apparently think it is, the OP is asking what factored into your choice and when this choice took place. ("Every time I am intimate with my wife" really doesn't answer that question.)
Like I said in an earlier post Katz, you will not get a straight answer from a fundie. And no, fundies rarely miss the point. They just choose to avoid (or be extremely vague with) any topics that press for hard answers. You can't debate with them. They're right, you're wrong, and that's the way it will end (at least in their mind). You'll have more luck trying to clap with one hand than to have logical debate with a fundie. They are funny little creatures.

My mother is a die-hard Christian fundie, and some of the conversations about religion (and life in general) we have had are simply mindblowing. The ignorance behind her reasoning is astounding. Talking to her would make a normal person feel like they're in the Twilight Zone. I've recorded some of our exchanges over the years and played them back for people to listen to, and most just sit listening completely slackjawed. Something tells me my mother and Vizio would be in agreement on just about all topics.

Old 03-08-2013, 10:51 AM

794 posts, read 1,412,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Actually, no it doesn't clarify things, especially not when you threw in that last sentence. The way I see it, I am straight because, as a woman, I am physically attracted to men and not to other women. (Got myself a great one, too, by the way. ) If I were physically attracted to women as opposed to men, I'd be gay (or technically lesbian, I guess). If I were physically attracted to both men and women, I'd be bisexual. I don't think it would be a choice in any of those three cases.
But, if you as a bisexual woman were a religious fundamentalist, you'd choose to be with a man, and you'd expect others to be able to make the same choice. People with the extreme sexuality on either end don't have a choice, and it's easy for us to see the POV of people on the other end of the spectrum. If I were suddenly plunked down in a society where homosexual norms were enforced I'd have to fake it. I don't have even the slightest inkling of attraction to women. So it's obvious to me that there must be people who are hardwired just like I am, only with the opposite orientation. I have to take the wiring of bisexual people on faith, just like they have to take the wiring of people like me on faith. Except some of them don't. They think I could choose to be homosexual, when it's just not possible.

Old 03-08-2013, 11:12 AM

4,526 posts, read 6,103,286 times
why is this a religious topic????

Old 03-08-2013, 11:25 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,284,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by auntieannie68 View Post
Because it addresses a belief promulgated by many religious people that sexual inclinations are a choice.

Old 03-08-2013, 12:18 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,250,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymax View Post
So what is your sexual orientation when you are doing the shopping?
I'm a male. I was created to be with women.

Old 03-08-2013, 12:31 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,250,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by auntieannie68 View Post
Because there is an increasingly intolerant group of people that feel the need to rip into any and everyone that dares to read their Bibles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality