Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2013, 09:05 PM

5,177 posts, read 4,807,599 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchlights View Post
Absolute comedy. Do people forget that the Red Sea is almost 100 miles across at any point? This show makes it look like it's a 300 yard dash. LOL! This is the exact same way the story was told throughout my Sunday School days. Nevermind that there were hundreds of thousands of people with elderly and farm animals in tow......

Oh forget it. I don't want to mess with anyone's fantasy world.
Ah, but the "sea of reeds" is not 100 miles across. The geography was a bit different 3000 years ago, and the mistranslation of "reed" as "red" has caused all manner of biblical mischief.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2013, 10:29 PM

7,943 posts, read 6,088,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post

In the city of Sodom, it seems to suggest that heterosexual sex was the problem....but the Bible say homosexuality was the sin.

There are numerous other issues with it.
I thought the problem with Sodom and Gamorah was more than anal intercourse. Although such sodomy was both the heterosexual and homosexual kind. However, that would only have been a problem if they were under the covenant with El, which, being Canaanite, they might have been. Not mention that they were doing more things wrong than just having gay people as citizens, the Egyptians and Romans didn't seem to gather any attention from YHWH for not putting their homosexuals to death. If I remember correctly, the last straw was that they tried to rape some messengers of YHWH, refusing to take whatshisname's kind offer of his own young daughters.

Old 03-07-2013, 11:39 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,250,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuminousTruth View Post
I thought the problem with Sodom and Gamorah was more than anal intercourse. Although such sodomy was both the heterosexual and homosexual kind. However, that would only have been a problem if they were under the covenant with El, which, being Canaanite, they might have been. Not mention that they were doing more things wrong than just having gay people as citizens, the Egyptians and Romans didn't seem to gather any attention from YHWH for not putting their homosexuals to death. If I remember correctly, the last straw was that they tried to rape some messengers of YHWH, refusing to take whatshisname's kind offer of his own young daughters.
Sodom was known as a bad place. That's why there was the conversation about 50 righteous...30 righteous...etc. You are correct, though--the final straw was them demanding Lot give up the men in his house so they could rape them. You are also correct...in that they were so wicked they even turned down women in order to rape men.

Old 03-08-2013, 01:50 AM

17,842 posts, read 14,420,165 times
Quote:
Sodom was known as a bad place. That's why there was the conversation about 50 righteous...30 righteous...etc. You are correct, though--the final straw was them demanding Lot give up the men in his house so they could rape them. You are also correct...in that they were so wicked they even turned down women in order to rape men.
I guess you don't realise that the majority of men who rape other men are actually heterosexual men.
It was a common practice to humiliate and dominate male strangers/prisoners of war etc by treating them like they would a woman. Nothing to do with sexual orientation, homosexuality or 'gay' men.

How can you claim to teach others about the Bible yet don't know about the Law of Hospitality?
http://www.jewishencyclopedia.com/ar...05-hospitality

Lot was obliged by the law of hospitality to protect any strangers under his roof. Why do you think Lot (a righteous man) offered up his young virgin daughters to be gang raped instead?

Are you also not aware there is a similar story in Judges 19?

Last edited by Ceist; 03-08-2013 at 01:58 AM..

Old 03-08-2013, 04:01 PM

7,943 posts, read 6,088,502 times
Quote:
Or maybe they turned down children in order to seduce men. The people of Sodom and Gomorrah were just men? I doubt it, gay men would give many rights to females. Why would Lot hide the illegal immigrants anyway? If the myth is true at all, it only shows that Lot cared more about strangers than about the safety of the city...

Why would Lot offer his young daughters to the gay men of Sodom? More likely, he was offering his daughters to sinners who didn't marry for sex. Was he an imbecile in thinking that homosexual men (all of Sodom apparently) would want any kind of women? or was he trying to bribe these xenophobe heterosexuals/bisexuals, who were afraid of another invasion by the King of Elam, whom they had recently rebelled against.

More likely its the latter.
Quote:
Lot refused to give his guests to the inhabitants of Sodom and, instead, offered them his two virgin daughters "which have not known man" and to "do ye to them as [is] good in your eyes"

Sodom and Gomorrah - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ... read the full page, its interesting that "her daughters" did "abominations" which is of course anal intercourse.

Why didn't they ask to "know" Lot? Because they weren't homosexual. Lot was probably just employing comic relief by matching the words.

Its a ridiculous story made to insult the enemies of the Israelite.

Quote:
But before they lay down, the men of the city, the men of Sodom, both young and old, all the people to the last man, surrounded the house. 5 And they called to Lot, “Where are the men who came to you tonight? Bring them out to us, that we may know them.” 6 Lot went out to the men at the entrance, shut the door after him, 7 and said, “I beg you, my brothers, do not act so wickedly. 8 Behold, I have two daughters who have not known any man. Let me bring them out to you, and do to them as you please. Only do nothing to these men, for they have come under the shelter of my roof.” 9 But they said, “Stand back!” And they said, “This fellow came to sojourn, and he has become the judge! Now we will deal worse with you than with them.” Then they pressed hard against the man Lot, and drew near to break the door down. 10 But the men reached out their hands and brought Lot into the house with them and shut the door. 11 And they struck with blindness the men who were at the entrance of the house, both small and great, so that they wore themselves out groping for the door.
Seems to me they were using the word "know" in its common terms.

If the plan of Sodom was to have sex with eachother, why stop themselves at only when strangers present?

Old 03-08-2013, 04:51 PM

According to the Jews, the 'moral' of the story of Lot and Sodom was about the Law of Hospitality, pride, arrogance, greed, terrible treatment of the poor and strangers etc. Later Christians completely missed the point and tried to make it all about sexlustanalsex.

HOSPITALITY - JewishEncyclopedia.com

LOT - JewishEncyclopedia.com

Yechezkel - Chapter 16 - Tanakh Online - Torah - Bible
In Christian tradition, the sin of Sodom is identified with sexual transgression. However, in Judaism, the emphasis is quite different. In forming their interpretation of the story, the rabbis read a passage from the prophet Ezekiel:
Behold, this was the sin of your sister, Sodom—arrogance! She and her daughters had their fill of bread and untroubled contentment. Yet, she did not support the poor and needy. In their haughtiness they committed abomination before Me. That is why I took them away when I saw it. (Ezekiel 16:49-50)
To the rabbis, the sin of the Sodomites was not sodomy, as it is in Christianity. Rather, it was the sin of haughty greed. The rabbis embellished this image of Sodom and Gomorrah with midrashic legends about their selfishness:

Vayera: The Children of Sodom - Reb Jeff

Old 03-08-2013, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymax View Post
I guess you don't realise that the majority of men who rape other men are actually heterosexual men.
It was a common practice to humiliate and dominate male strangers/prisoners of war etc by treating them like they would a woman. Nothing to do with sexual orientation, homosexuality or 'gay' men.

How can you claim to teach others about the Bible yet don't know about the Law of Hospitality?
HOSPITALITY - JewishEncyclopedia.com

Lot was obliged by the law of hospitality to protect any strangers under his roof. Why do you think Lot (a righteous man) offered up his young virgin daughters to be gang raped instead?

Are you also not aware there is a similar story in Judges 19?
Honestly...if you don't care to read it as it's written and do all sorts of silly twisting of the scriptures to "prove" your point....I don't care.

A bunch of men turned down women because they wanted men. Seems simple enough. God didn't destroy the city because they were a bunch of meanies. He destroyed it because they were wicked and committed acts that were an abomination.

Old 03-08-2013, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Honestly...if you don't care to read it as it's written and do all sorts of silly twisting of the scriptures to "prove" your point....I don't care.

A bunch of men turned down women because they wanted men. Seems simple enough. God didn't destroy the city because they were a bunch of meanies. He destroyed it because they were wicked and committed acts that were an abomination.
You have claimed context is important when reading the Bible, yet once again, you just throw the context out the window when it doesn't suit you.

Where did you get the idea that "A bunch of men turned down women because they wanted men". That isn't what was written in Genesis 19. That's you "doing all sorts of silly twisting of scriptures" and ignoring the context and what the Jews say about their own story and the law of hospitality to strangers. You also have to throw Ezekiel 16:49 and the story in Judges 19 out the window as well to maintain your view.

Last edited by Ceist; 03-08-2013 at 08:46 PM..

Old 03-08-2013, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymax View Post
You have claimed context is important when reading the Bible, yet once again, you just throw the context out the window when it doesn't suit you.

Where did you get the idea that "A bunch of men turned down women because they wanted men". That isn't what was written. That's your spin, not the what the Jews think of their own story.
Have you READ the text? That's what it says. They wanted to have sex with the strangers. Lot offered them his virgin daughters...they refused, instead demanding the men.
Quote:
Do you throw Ezekiel 16:49 and the story in Judges 19 out the window as well?
Ezekiel says their chief sin was pride and self-exaltation. It stemmed from their materialism. It led to sexual perversion, and homosexual acts--which God declares to be an abomination.

Judges 19 shows them trying to rape a man. They were asked specifically not to do that vile act.

You can argue however you want...but the fact remains that the homosexual acts were considered an abomination prior to the angels heading down to Sodom, and the act was vile in Judges 19.

Yes--Sodom was destroyed largely for sexual perversion -- homosexuality.

Old 03-08-2013, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Have you READ the text? That's what it says. They wanted to have sex with the strangers. Lot offered them his virgin daughters...they refused, instead demanding the men.

Ezekiel says their chief sin was pride and self-exaltation. It stemmed from their materialism. It led to sexual perversion, and homosexual acts--which God declares to be an abomination.

Judges 19 shows them trying to rape a man. They were asked specifically not to do that vile act.

You can argue however you want...but the fact remains that the homosexual acts were considered an abomination prior to the angels heading down to Sodom, and the act was vile in Judges 19.

Yes--Sodom was destroyed largely for sexual perversion -- homosexuality.
Believe whatever you want. Take it out of context and twist it however you want. Ignore biology, ignore history, ignore the cultures of that time, ignore what the Jews themselves say. All it shows to me is how prejudice and a complete lack of empathy for anyone different to themselves, makes a person blind.

Male rape (which we know has been used by heterosexual men for thousands of years to dominate and humiliate other men) was not the point of the story, and it's not what 'homosexuality' is anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality