Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2013, 11:18 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,246,539 times

Advertisements

Besides adding things that aren't in the Bible, like ninja angels, it shows Abraham (calls him by the wrong name and muddles the covenant with him) as a sort of vision-casting madman who thinks he heard from God. It shows Moses living as a lonely hermit after he killed the Egyptian. The Bible says Moses buried the body, not a Hebrew slave.

In the city of Sodom, it seems to suggest that heterosexual sex was the problem....but the Bible say homosexuality was the sin.

After the flood, Noah says that man has a second chance to get right with God....but the Bible doesn't say anything like that.

Rick Warren is one of the chief advisors for the movie. The movie reflects a purpose-driven theology--meaning that God just has a purpose for us, and we have to seek out his vision. That's not what the Bible is about. It's about God redeeming his people.

There are numerous other issues with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2013, 12:10 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,276,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post

Rick Warren is one of the chief advisors for the movie.
Horrors.

A man who leads a church where thousands of people go to worship and praise God every week. Let's not get started on their community outreach programs that feed the hungry, visit the sick, and provide medical care for the poor (including an HIV/AIDS ministry that helps actual gay people). Which is, in case you missed it, is doing exactly what Christ told us to do.

How many people has his church led to accepting Christ as their savior you might wonder? Easily thousands.

Last edited by DewDropInn; 03-05-2013 at 12:23 PM..

Old 03-05-2013, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Horrors.

A man who leads a church where thousands of people go to worship God every week. Let's not get started on their community outreach programs that feed the hungry, visit the sick, and provide medical care for the poor (including an HIV/AIDS ministry that helps actual gay people). Which is, in case you missed it, is doing exactly what Christ told us to do.

How many people has his church led to accepting Christ as their savior you might wonder? Easily thousands.
I realize his church does good things. That's great.

But he doesn't teach the Gospel. I watched a video of him speaking. His goal in preaching is to produce obedience. The problem though, is that obedience is not the Gospel. God wants a changed heart--not obedience. The Gospel is that we are saved by faith in Christ--not living well. I realize to you this may not be a big deal...if I understand correctly, you're not a Christian. To you, it's just semantics....but it's not a small thing. This is a big deal.

Old 03-05-2013, 12:57 PM

Quote:
.if I understand correctly, you're not a Christian.
Actually, I am.

Most definitely. (Just not your kind since I would not presume to judge my fellow man, which you fundies seem to enjoy, and I would never shake my finger at someone for watching a TV series on the Bible which had input from the man who gave the invocation at the President's first inaugural. I'd also not wait for my pastor to give his seal of approval to my TV choices. God gave me a brain, I've read the Bible, and we have a TV with a remote that works as long as it has fresh batteries. )

Old 03-05-2013, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Actually, I am.

Most definitely. (Just not your kind since I would not presume to judge my fellow man, which you fundies seem to enjoy, and I would never shake my finger at someone for watching a TV series on the Bible which had input from the man who gave the invocation at the President's first inaugural. I'd also not wait for my pastor to give his seal of approval to my TV choices. God gave me a brain, I've read the Bible, and we have a TV with a remote that works as long as it has fresh batteries. )
For a guy that says he doesn't judge, you sure had a lot to say about me and my ilk just now.

Having said that, I'm not shaking my finger at anyone. Nor have I ever said I don't judge.

Old 03-05-2013, 01:23 PM

Quote:
For a guy that says he doesn't judge, you sure had a lot to say about me and my ilk just now.
It wasn't a judgement. God made me opinionated. Take it up with Him if there's a gripe. Though my guess is He has bigger things to take care of. Like Pope selection. Making sure the sun comes up in the east. March Madness.

BTW: I'm not a guy.

Old 03-05-2013, 02:08 PM

Quote:
It wasn't a judgement. God made me opinionated. Take it up with Him if there's a gripe. Though my guess is He has bigger things to take care of. Like Pope selection. Making sure the sun comes up in the east. March Madness.

BTW: I'm not a guy.
My apologies. Hard to see what gender a person is based on a username, sometimes.

Old 03-05-2013, 02:14 PM

Quote:
My apologies.
Not a problem. For some reason it happens all the time on CD.

Old 03-05-2013, 02:21 PM

4,883 posts, read 6,227,700 times
Quote:
I realize his church does good things. That's great.

But he doesn't teach the Gospel. I watched a video of him speaking. His goal in preaching is to produce obedience. The problem though, is that obedience is not the Gospel. God wants a changed heart--not obedience. The Gospel is that we are saved by faith in Christ--not living well. I realize to you this may not be a big deal...if I understand correctly, you're not a Christian. To you, it's just semantics....but it's not a small thing. This is a big deal.
Viz...I know we've gone over this before but you seem to have forgotten it...or maybe you just choose to IGNORE the FACT...that we don't even KNOW what the ORIGINAL gospel was since we've never had nor have we ever seen any ORIGINAL AUTOGRAPHS that were written...if any were written at all. What we have are copies, of edited copies, of edited copies, of edited copies, of more edited copies, so on and so forth, etc...of books that were called "gospels" which were written by unknown authors and assigned authors much later on. We have absolutely no idea who actually wrote them...a fact that cannot be denied. So judging someone else for not teaching what you consider to be the "gospel" is silly.

You preachers want OBEDIENCE. God want everyone to LOVE THEIR NEIGHBOR AS THEMSELVES...obedience doesn't mean squat if you're not doing that.

Old 03-05-2013, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristyGrl View Post
Viz...I know we've gone over this before but you seem to have forgotten it...or maybe you just choose to IGNORE the FACT...that we don't even KNOW what the ORIGINAL gospel was since we've never had nor have we ever seen any ORIGINAL AUTOGRAPHS that were written...if any were written at all. What we have are copies, of edited copies, of edited copies, of edited copies, of more edited copies, so on and so forth, etc...of books that were called "gospels" which were written by unknown authors and assigned authors much later on. We have absolutely no idea who actually wrote them...a fact that cannot be denied. So judging someone else for not teaching what you consider to be the "gospel" is silly.
How do you know this? You're making the assertion that we have no idea what the original texts were...so back it up. You know this how, exactly?
Quote:
You preachers want OBEDIENCE. God want everyone to LOVE THEIR NEIGHBOR AS THEMSELVES...obedience doesn't mean squat if you're not doing that.
When I talk about "the gospel"....I'm talking about the fact that Jesus died so that anyone that believes in him can have eternal life.

What you've just quoted above is how Jesus summed up the Mosaic Law. But then....how would you know? You seem to think we don't have any reliable scriptures. The Mosaic Law won't save you--it only serves to show that you are a sinful being unable to save yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality