Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2023, 10:34 AM

18,250 posts, read 16,917,013 times

Advertisements

Here is one question Christians (deliberately or otherwise) fail to ask themselves:

Why does their god have no problem healing millions of people of medical conditions that coincidentally the human body has the capability to heal itself, but this god has never once healed a person of a condition that the human body is not capable of curing itself of, like growing a new limb? Ask yourselves why we've never seen a Christian grow a new limb to replace the one he lost? The answer should be obvious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2023, 02:49 PM

19,999 posts, read 13,475,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
Here is one question Christians (deliberately or otherwise) fail to ask themselves:

Why does their god have no problem healing millions of people of medical conditions that coincidentally the human body has the capability to heal itself, but this god has never once healed a person of a condition that the human body is not capable of curing itself of, like growing a new limb? Ask yourselves why we've never seen a Christian grow a new limb to replace the one he lost? The answer should be obvious.
I asked this question awhile back somewhere on here and someone dredged up an urban legend that this actually happened -- once, a long time ago, in a land far, far away.

But it is telling that even televangelists don't pray for new limbs to grow. They will do purported "leg-lengthening" (almost everyone's legs are slightly asymmetrical, and adjust for a shorter leg from the pelvis, so it's an easy parlor trick to demonstrate that they have one leg shorter than the other and then psych them into thinking it's "fixed" through the Power of God(tm).

But no you don't see a missing arm or leg or ear sprout in real time; as you point out, they confine themselves to things where, every so often, someone gets lucky and then you can claim GodDidIt.

Old 08-20-2023, 03:17 PM

63,809 posts, read 40,077,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
I asked this question awhile back somewhere on here and someone dredged up an urban legend that this actually happened -- once, a long time ago, in a land far, far away.

But it is telling that even televangelists don't pray for new limbs to grow. They will do purported "leg-lengthening" (almost everyone's legs are slightly asymmetrical, and adjust for a shorter leg from the pelvis, so it's an easy parlor trick to demonstrate that they have one leg shorter than the other and then psych them into thinking it's "fixed" through the Power of God(tm).

But no you don't see a missing arm or leg or ear sprout in real time; as you point out, they confine themselves to things where, every so often, someone gets lucky and then you can claim GodDidIt.
The urban legend is actually one of the Catholic Eucharistic miracles - the Miracle of Calandra in 1640 in Spain.

Old 08-20-2023, 03:59 PM

Quote:

Yes, it was the worst kept secret for a time that Benny Hinn, Peter Popoff and other hucksters in the faith healing racket were hiring able-bodied people to sit at their services in wheelchairs, get called up to stage, prayed over and then "miraculously" hopping out of their chairs walking and leaping and praising God and generally dancing and gyrating around the stage like a puppet on strings before being smacked with Benny's white coat and falling on their backs "slain in the spirit". I smile broadly as I write this.

But you right. These Christian charlatans know what God is capable of and what he's not capable of (READ: what they can pull off with smoke and mirrors and what they cannot pull off with smoke and mirrors) and they wisely stick to the script throwing moronic stuff at their audiences that they know gullible Christians will fall for like Jericho's Wall. It's sad and funny at the same time to see Christian dupes being fooled by such nonsense but that is the world Christians have always inhabited, and I can say that with empathy because I once upon a time inhabited that world. But praise be to God (hands raised) that I got out of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHUFTPfFJ6Q

Old 08-20-2023, 05:25 PM

17,795 posts, read 13,687,653 times
Quote:

When I was a kid I had a pretty significant leg length discrepancy and had to wear a built up shoe. My parents would take me to a faith healer at a Full Gospel Businessmen's meeting. He "healed" me. We went back to the Doctor and my dad was saying he couldn't wait to see the Doctor be "shocked". Dr. says the discrepancy is getting worse and we need to start planning on surgery. Dad is the one who is "shocked".

Anyway, they find another faith healer. Second faith healer says that "the devil took it away from you". So we get it "healed" again. Go back to the Doctor... discrepancy is getting worse. Will schedule surgery for this summer. Had the surgery that summer before my 10th grade year.

I don't know if the "devil" kept taking away my "healed" leg lengthening... but my epiphysial stapling of the knee sure hurt like "the devil"...

The psychic damage that episode did to me is hard to estimate but it made me think that I didn't deserve good things to happen to me... and if they happened... they would be taken away.

Would have been better to have not had superstition forced upon my 13-14 year old mind.

In the end after surgery when I stopped growing the leg length differential was just a half inch instead of over two inches.

Old 08-20-2023, 06:00 PM

19,999 posts, read 13,475,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
When I was a kid I had a pretty significant leg length discrepancy and had to wear a built up shoe. My parents would take me to a faith healer at a Full Gospel Businessmen's meeting. He "healed" me. We went back to the Doctor and my dad was saying he couldn't wait to see the Doctor be "shocked". Dr. says the discrepancy is getting worse and we need to start planning on surgery. Dad is the one who is "shocked".

Anyway, they find another faith healer. Second faith healer says that "the devil took it away from you". So we get it "healed" again. Go back to the Doctor... discrepancy is getting worse. Will schedule surgery for this summer. Had the surgery that summer before my 10th grade year.

I don't know if the "devil" kept taking away my "healed" leg lengthening... but my epiphysial stapling of the knee sure hurt like "the devil"...

The psychic damage that episode did to me is hard to estimate but it made me think that I didn't deserve good things to happen to me... and if they happened... they would be taken away.

Would have been better to have not had superstition forced upon my 13-14 year old mind.

In the end after surgery when I stopped growing the leg length differential was just a half inch instead of over two inches.
Sorry you had to go through that.

My wife had her right knee replaced 6 weeks ago and gained around a quarter inch length on that leg. Makes sense, as she was bone-on-bone, and in effect the synthetic knee adds the "cartilage" back in. In a few weeks, she'll go in to have the other knee replaced and things should even out ;-)

I have to say that the surgery is, in my view, mostly in "you've got to be kidding me" territory ... the physical therapy alone is brutal, and I've been in the uncomfortable position of bending her knee 3x a day, since if you don't break up scar tissue as it forms you will end up with insufficient mobility and they will have to bend the knee under anesthesia as well as surgically break up the scar tissue. The good news is her range of motion targets have all been met and now she just has to work on getting her strength and balance back.

I can only imagine what it was like for you as a young teen going through similar things.

Old 08-21-2023, 12:32 PM

998 posts, read 785,836 times
Quote:
It actuality did happen, Once!

145:3.10 (1633.1) Jesus had passed the responsibility of this healing decision to the ruling of his Father. Evidently the Father’s will interposed no objection, for the words of the Master had scarcely been uttered when the assembly of celestial personalities serving under the command of Jesus’ Personalized Thought Adjuster was mightily astir. The vast retinue descended into the midst of this motley throng of afflicted mortals, and in a moment of time 683 men, women, and children were made whole, were perfectly healed of all their physical diseases and other material disorders. Such a scene was never witnessed on earth before that day, nor since. And for those of us who were present to behold this creative wave of healing, it was indeed a thrilling spectacle.

https://www.urantia.org/urantia-book...days-capernaum

Old 08-22-2023, 06:46 AM

36,529 posts, read 30,856,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post

Except the vast majority of people don't have the requisite knowledge or learned coping skills that are either ineffective or harmful or both, and praying doesn't help.
That why we have doctors.

Old 08-22-2023, 07:05 AM

3,825 posts, read 1,382,111 times
Quote:

Indeed obvious - we are not urodeles!

Old 08-22-2023, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyRoadg View Post
It actuality did happen, Once!

145:3.10 (1633.1) Jesus had passed the responsibility of this healing decision to the ruling of his Father. Evidently the Father’s will interposed no objection, for the words of the Master had scarcely been uttered when the assembly of celestial personalities serving under the command of Jesus’ Personalized Thought Adjuster was mightily astir. The vast retinue descended into the midst of this motley throng of afflicted mortals, and in a moment of time 683 men, women, and children were made whole, were perfectly healed of all their physical diseases and other material disorders. Such a scene was never witnessed on earth before that day, nor since. And for those of us who were present to behold this creative wave of healing, it was indeed a thrilling spectacle.

https://www.urantia.org/urantia-book...days-capernaum

Is there any video of this limb growing? If not, then it's just hearsay. If its from the Bible then it's just homespun myths and fairytales.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality