Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2012, 12:13 PM

16,431 posts, read 22,198,807 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
Even if the bible "condemns drunkenness", it doesn't mean you can't believe in it if you are a drunk, and it doesn't mean god would turn his back on you because of it?...does it?
God hates all sin. Drunkeness is no worse than any other. God also forgives all sin, no matter how awful, if we sincerely ask his forgiveness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2012, 01:44 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,281,755 times
That's good, so the answer to my question is no, and Woodrow LI, you, and your "friend" (if he wants) ,can take comfort knowing that even though he's a "drunk", and can't control his addiction, if he sincerely wishes he could, and he believes in God, he IS forgiven.

Old 11-14-2012, 08:33 PM

7,943 posts, read 6,066,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
God hates all sin. Drunkeness is no worse than any other. God also forgives all sin, no matter how awful, if we sincerely ask his forgiveness.
Except for that horrid, horrid, sin of not being some type of Christian. What's the point of any sects in Christianity?

Another demonstration of Biblical Medicine is when the Snake Idol that Moses makes heals the people when they stare into its red fiery eyes.

Also, Jesus spits into his hands and rubs it on a blind mans eye's, then scabs fall ending the blindness.

Jesus says that nothing eaten defiles the body
Paul says that Christians will not be harmed by poisons (and demonstrates when a poisonous snake gives him a dry bite).

Jesus says that even a mustard seed of faith moves mountains, so it should move away sickness as well.

the sect called Christian Science is big on that implication.

Old 11-14-2012, 08:43 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,192,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuminousTruth View Post
Except for that horrid, horrid, sin of not being some type of Christian. What's the point of any sects in Christianity?
I'd be curious to see what you mean by "sect".
Quote:
Another demonstration of Biblical Medicine is when the Snake Idol that Moses makes heals the people when they stare into its red fiery eyes.
You are completely missing the point.

That wasn't medicine. That was a "type". People looked at the serpent in FAITH in God...and they were healed. It was God performing a miracle for those that believed. In the Gospel of John, chapter 3, Jesus compares himself to that serpent. When He was lifted up on the cross, we are cleansed of our sin and saved.
Quote:
Also, Jesus spits into his hands and rubs it on a blind mans eye's, then scabs fall ending the blindness.
Again...not medicine. That was him performing a miracle.
Quote:
Jesus says that nothing eaten defiles the body
Paul says that Christians will not be harmed by poisons (and demonstrates when a poisonous snake gives him a dry bite).
Paul never really said that....it was Jesus. And it wasn't medicine...it was a prophecy that was fulfilled when a snake bit Paul.
Quote:
Jesus says that even a mustard seed of faith moves mountains, so it should move away sickness as well.
Where?
Quote:
the sect called Christian Science is big on that implication.
That's not a sect. It's a heretical cult. It has nothing to do with Christianity. They don't worship the same God.

Last edited by Vizio; 11-14-2012 at 08:57 PM.. Reason: To fix my quotes tags

Old 11-15-2012, 06:49 AM

1,168 posts, read 1,235,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nezlie View Post
The examples of medical treatments found in the Bible are pretty straight forward and uncomplicated.

Proverbs 31:6-7 is an example:

Is this the preferred thing to give someone that's depressed instead of a modern anti-depressant drug?

If you are a Christian, how do you feel about pharmaceutical drugs?
Pharmacutical Drugs are unnatural and/or denatured in body...or are in some cases extracted from a source (plant based, or are made in mimic...What God made for us is the natural plants/foods/ unpolluted (Made clean)...by eating them when necessary...if sick or depressed arises...removal or prohibition of plants (that are prohibited by law of man) make a detramental state occur in the eco systems God made with them...So they can make pharm big business!...all tied to $$$,,Idol being made too important or more important than God for life and welbeing....and what Did God command in his laws about that?....surely we see?

So all the plants God made Good, for reason...have intelligence...if we harm them...they will defend themselves.....Sickness on the rise?....then we have done something wrong in the system God made GOOD......i would say polluting the air, waters, and soils...is a good place to start fixing things....and not for money...but because God asks we tend to , and keep the planet prestine and clean, for our benefit and his...sowing all seeds sinlessly..and giving back what belongs to God....LIFE....not death!...Edens are the multiple of EDEN...in my understanding.

Now because the anti to God is now in play....depression, sickness and suffering is on the rise...and a plant or plants are being prohibited....You might see clearly the causality done by the system of IDOLATRY...and the poverty it makes on the other side of coin....why God said do not do or make this be.....'
DO we learn from our mistakes?...This detramental IDOLIC system has been going on for over 2000 years...it has not changed since its conception....human sacrifices are still being made for it, to support it...and it is corrupted in oh so many ways.....and it does not work..as is now showing sign...but they continue to do it, and promote it..and make it...and spread it.....why?...ANti God!...and death, sickness and suffering ensues that state, and all subjected to it and or those employed in it..for it......You want meds for this?...wonder why?

Last edited by Sir Les; 11-15-2012 at 07:11 AM..

Old 11-15-2012, 09:31 AM

19,717 posts, read 20,244,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuminousTruth View Post
Oh I'm sorry, I had no idea "Let them drink and FORGET their poverty, and remember their MISERY NO MORE" meant that they could have only one cup of wine.
Right, I need at least 3 glasses

Old 11-15-2012, 09:45 AM

7,996 posts, read 12,275,281 times
Quote:

If you are a Christian, how do you feel about pharmaceutical drugs?
Quote:
We discuss all sorts of things on this forum concerning faith and the Bible. Many things are interpreted literally by believers and the interpretations vary. The issues mentioned in the Bible about health and the remedies for sickness are not often brought up on this forum. They can also be controversial (like in the example I gave) in light of what we know about medicine nowadays. I'm hoping that those that respond will tell us how they feel about the suggestions given in the Bible and about modern medicine with its broad range of meds used to fight illness.
June is not a Christian, but thought she would weigh in anyway. It doesn't surprise her that the bible would suggest what it does; there were no pharmaceuticals at the time in which the bible was written. June has see the impact that anti-depressants and other psychotropic drugs can have on the lives of others, and would hardly consider their effect as being negative, as in most cases they enhance people's lives in ways that other forms of treatment would not. June thinks that the OP's passage of what the bible suggests needs be taken within its historical and cultural context.

Old 11-15-2012, 10:03 AM

19,717 posts, read 20,244,680 times
"...astute Biblical scholars will note that Jesus never baptized anyone nor did he tell his disciples to. He specifically told them to “anoint” people. That anointing took place using a specific formula made from a recipe found in the Old Testament book of Exodus.

That recipe (Exodus 30:23) includes about 6 pounds of “kaneh-bosen”. If that six pounds is marijuana.. then a lot of things in the Bible suddenly change."

Cannabis, Christianity, and the Great Kaneh-Bosm Debate - Did Jesus Use Pot? | Marijuana News | CannaCentral

Old 11-15-2012, 11:44 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,192,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by june 7th View Post
June is not a Christian, but thought she would weigh in anyway. It doesn't surprise her that the bible would suggest what it does; there were no pharmaceuticals at the time in which the bible was written. June has see the impact that anti-depressants and other psychotropic drugs can have on the lives of others, and would hardly consider their effect as being negative, as in most cases they enhance people's lives in ways that other forms of treatment would not. June thinks that the OP's passage of what the bible suggests needs be taken within its historical and cultural context.
Vizio would agree with you. God gave them to us for a reason. They are medicinal. Vizio also agrees that the OP needs to realize the historical context.

Old 11-15-2012, 01:05 PM

9,616 posts, read 12,917,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
I'll drink to that!

A few years back we had a Pharmacy guy give a talk about drug interaction and the dangers of overmedication in Seniors. In his opinion he stated that a couple of glasses of wine was preferable to some of the sleep aids and anti-anxiety medications he sold. Less side effects and just as effective.
My old grampa died @ 97 yrs of age. My dad at 98. Dad was younger of course (Duhhh!) so he also had the benefits of some more advanced meds, though he also had very little actually wrong with him.

Point is, both of them "religiously" took a couple oz of good Canuck whiskey every afternoon as a tonic! Not only that, it made them relax and enjoy life, and their senses of humor rose to the occasion. Notice I didn't say they got hammered. They just took "a bit of the hair" as they used to say..

Now of course, it WAS, after all, good Canuck sipping whiskey. Me, I prefer good Bourbon! But I won't make it to 98, nosirree! After all, I had to do my time as a Senior Corporate Drone Mgr, spending time in interminable meetings, worrying about the company (though they typically don't worry about you...), and travelling like a trained monkey (as a result, I now officially HATE airline travel, even to vacation wonderlands...).

By comparison, both my dad and his dad had spent significant parts of their lives out in the woods of British Columbia, as loggers or other woodsy pursuits. No stress, no corporate ninnies endlessly hounding you for "that long-overdue Excel worksheet report, dangitt!"

"Scunk them"!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality