Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2023, 11:24 AM

33,230 posts, read 26,440,532 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
There is a lot of drinking in the Old Testament.

Ecclesiastes 2:24 There is nothing better for a man, than that he should eat and drink, and that he should make his soul enjoy good in his labour. This also I saw, that it was from the hand of God.

Ecclesiastes 3:11 He hath made every thing beautiful in his time: also he hath set the world in their heart, so that no man can find out the work that God maketh from the beginning to the end. I know that there is no good in them, but for a man to rejoice, and to do good in his life. And also that every man should eat and drink, and enjoy the good of all his labour, it is the gift of God.

Ecclesiastes 8:15 Then I commended mirth, because a man hath no better thing under the sun, than to eat, and to drink, and to be merry: for that shall abide with him of his labour the days of his life, which God giveth him under the sun.

Ecclesiastes 9:7 Go thy way, eat thy bread with joy, and drink thy wine with a merry heart; for God now accepteth thy works. Let thy garments be always white; and let thy head lack no ointment. Live joyfully with the wife whom thou lovest all the days of the life of thy vanity, which he hath given thee under the sun, all the days of thy vanity: for that is thy portion in this life, and in thy labour which thou takest under the sun. Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with thy might; for there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave, whither thou goest.

Ecclesiastes 10:19 A feast is made for laughter, and wine maketh merry: ...

Proverbs 31:6 Give strong drink unto him that is ready to perish, and wine unto those that be of heavy hearts.

Psalm 104:1 Bless the LORD, O my soul. O LORD my God, thou art very great; thou art clothed with honour and majesty.
:2 Who coverest thyself with light as with a garment: who stretchest out the heavens like a curtain:
:3 Who ...
:13 He ...
:14 He causeth the grass to grow for the cattle, and herb for the service of man: that he may bring forth food out of the earth;
:15 And wine that maketh glad the heart of man, and oil to make his face to shine, and bread which strengtheneth man's heart.

Now this next one, takes a little focus. It is the only Bible passage I have found where tithing and cash money are both in the same context. You see in the Bible tithing was either the spoils of war, the harvest from the fields, or the increase of your flocks. Tithing was NEVER allowed to be money.

But if you can not travel to the Temple to present your annual tithe then God gave us an alternative solution. Under those circumstances, you were allowed to gather up all your tithe, sell it and, ...

Deuteronomy 14:26 You may spend the money for whatever your heart desires: for oxen, or sheep, or wine, or strong drink, or whatever your heart desires; and there you shall eat in the presence of the LORD your God and rejoice, you and your household.

As you see there are many times when God tells us to drink. Alcohol is a gift given to Man by God, we are to rejoice in it.

Well, a pina colada would be nice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2023, 11:47 AM

36,530 posts, read 30,856,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nezlie View Post
The examples of medical treatments found in the Bible are pretty straight forward and uncomplicated.

Proverbs 31:6-7 is an example:

Is this the preferred thing to give someone that's depressed instead of a modern anti-depressant drug?

If you are a Christian, how do you feel about pharmaceutical drugs?
I think we are meant to use the knowledge we have to heal ourselves or ease our suffering.

Old 08-18-2023, 01:42 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,163,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nezlie View Post
Is this the preferred thing to give someone that's depressed instead of a modern anti-depressant drug?
Self-medicating with alcohol or illicit drugs is self-destructive. I believe you call them "junkies" and "alkies."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
It's a proverb....not necessarily a recommendation of what God would want us to do.
Even less so since the Ugarits wrote it, not the Hebrews.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
I think we are meant to use the knowledge we have to heal ourselves or ease our suffering.
Except the vast majority of people don't have the requisite knowledge or learned coping skills that are either ineffective or harmful or both, and praying doesn't help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
because although the thread title is promising, that is medicinal treatments found in the bible.
There are none for cancers because your god-thing wasn't smart enough to know what they are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaiSea View Post
This group would use hash for Havdalah(to welcome the new week at the close of the Sabbath) and also had a ceremony for the last joint before Shabbath.
Hashish is not marihuana. It is made from marihuana.

It is, effectively, a distilled version. Marihuana contains 462 chemical compounds including the cannabinols (the active ingredient), and 4 known carcinogens plus several suspect carcinogens. Most drug tests do not test for THC, rather they test for the metabolites of the other 100s of chemical compounds which take a very long time for your body to metabolize.

Hashish contains 16 chemical compounds none of which are carcinogens or suspected carcinogens and it's easier to metabolize.

You boil the marihuana in one kind of alcohol, then remove the leaves, stems, and roots and boil it in a different type of alcohol and then put the leaves, stems, and roots into distilled water and boil it.

Then you combine those three liquids and boil them. The alcohols have a lower boiling point so they boil off first carrying the carcinogens and stuff you don't want with them, you're left with just the syrupy water which boils down into a goo. Let it cool and it dries and shrinks away from the sides of the pot and you dump it out and cut it.

I learned that from a Turk (in Germany). He showed me how to make hash oil, too, but I don't remember exactly but you omit one of the alcohols and you get an oil instead of a resin.

Old 08-19-2023, 12:53 PM

18,250 posts, read 16,917,013 times
Q. What's the difference between praying to Jesus for healing and getting no response and praying to a stone for healing and getting no response?

A. You can see the stone.

Seriously, if you're not going to get a response from either one doesn't it make infinite more sense to pray to the stone to heal you because at least you can see what you're praying to?

Old 08-19-2023, 01:27 PM

3,825 posts, read 1,382,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
Q. What's the difference between praying to Jesus for healing and getting no response and praying to a stone for healing and getting no response?

A. You can see the stone.

Seriously, if you're not going to get a response from either one doesn't it make infinite more sense to pray to the stone to heal you because at least you can see what you're praying to?
It might surprise you to know that both Joshua and Jesus appointed Witness Stones - to testify whether people observed God's Word or not!

Jesus even said 'the stones would cry out if his disciples remained quiet'.

But there is a glint of truth in your post, people do seem to try to select their own stone ; 'rig the jury' as it were!

Old 08-19-2023, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCCyou View Post
It might surprise you to know that both Joshua and Jesus appointed Witness Stones - to testify whether people observed God's Word or not!

Jesus even said 'the stones would cry out if his disciples remained quiet'.

But there is a glint of truth in your post, people do seem to try to select their own stone ; 'rig the jury' as it were!

Well, CCC I think that if you're truly honest with yourself you'll realize that there's 100% of truth in my post. Let's look at it:

You pray to Jesus for healing. Does Jesus heal you? According to studies NO, he doesn't.

"A study in 2006 indicates that intercessory prayer in cardiac bypass patients had NO discernible effects."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Efficacy_of_prayer

You pray to a stone for healing. Same thing. You get no discernible effects. Truth: there's not a nickel's worth of difference between praying to Jesus and praying to a stone. The difference between the two however is that you can see the stone; you cannot see Jesus so you cannot be sure you're praying to a real entity or that any entity is even listening. But when you pray to a stone you can see the entity you're praying to. Am I right or am I wrong?

Old 08-19-2023, 04:10 PM

3,825 posts, read 1,382,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
Well, CCC I think that if you're truly honest with yourself you'll realize that there's 100% of truth in my post. Let's look at it:

You pray to Jesus for healing. Does Jesus heal you? According to studies NO, he doesn't.

"A study in 2006 indicates that intercessory prayer in cardiac bypass patients had NO discernible effects."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Efficacy_of_prayer

You pray to a stone for healing. Same thing. You get no discernible effects. Truth: there's not a nickel's worth of difference between praying to Jesus and praying to a stone. The difference between the two however is that you can see the stone; you cannot see Jesus so you cannot be sure you're praying to a real entity or that any entity is even listening. But when you pray to a stone you can see the entity you're praying to. Am I right or am I wrong?
Well, if you choose a Stone different that the one Jesus chose, how can you expect either to hear you ?

Old 08-19-2023, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCCyou View Post
Well, if you choose a Stone different that the one Jesus chose, how can you expect either to hear you ?
Well, I just proved that it doesn't matter if you pray to Jesus or pray to a stone because in either case you're not going to get an answer to your prayer. The study I referenced in the link proves that.

Old 08-20-2023, 10:21 AM

998 posts, read 785,836 times
91:6.3 (999.6) No matter how difficult it may be to reconcile the scientific doubtings regarding the efficacy of prayer with the ever-present urge to seek help and guidance from divine sources, never forget that the sincere prayer of faith is a mighty force for the promotion of personal happiness, individual self-control, social harmony, moral progress, and spiritual attainment.

91:6.4 (999.7) Prayer, even as a purely human practice, a dialogue with one’s alter ego, constitutes a technique of the most efficient approach to the realization of those reserve powers of human nature which are stored and conserved in the unconscious realms of the human mind. Prayer is a sound psychologic practice, aside from its religious implications and its spiritual significance. It is a fact of human experience that most persons, if sufficiently hard pressed, will pray in some way to some source of help.

https://www.urantia.org/urantia-book...olution-prayer

Old 08-20-2023, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyRoadg View Post
91:6.3 (999.6) No matter how difficult it may be to reconcile the scientific doubtings regarding the efficacy of prayer with the ever-present urge to seek help and guidance from divine sources, never forget that the sincere prayer of faith is a mighty force for the promotion of personal happiness, individual self-control, social harmony, moral progress, and spiritual attainment.

91:6.4 (999.7) Prayer, even as a purely human practice, a dialogue with one’s alter ego, constitutes a technique of the most efficient approach to the realization of those reserve powers of human nature which are stored and conserved in the unconscious realms of the human mind. Prayer is a sound psychologic practice, aside from its religious implications and its spiritual significance. It is a fact of human experience that most persons, if sufficiently hard pressed, will pray in some way to some source of help.

https://www.urantia.org/urantia-book...olution-prayer

Urantia book is an interesting book.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality