Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2011, 09:01 AM

87 posts, read 120,267 times

Advertisements

It seems like atheist only target Christians and Christianity, and very seldom any other religions, which share similar beliefs.
When atheists usually post billboards and other non-belief or "myth" stuff, it mainly includes Christianity, and during the Christmas/Holiday season, it targets Christmas.

Why are they afraid to post "myth" stuff about Judaism and Islam?
I think they are scared because they know how strong Muslims and Jewish are, and what consequenses they will get for doing it, while poor Christians does not usually do anything about it.

This is ridiculous!

PS! I'm not Christian myself, but it's very unfair. If you are going to post stuff about something, INCLUDE all religions, or leave them alone and keep your own beliefs to yourself.
Atheist should respect that they live in a country where close to 80% are Christians (some states even higher %). Keep in mind that the U.S. has the world's largest Christian population.

Old 12-05-2011, 09:07 AM

4,082 posts, read 5,042,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by -Lucy- View Post
It seems like atheist only target Christians and Christianity, and very seldom any other religions, which share similar beliefs.
When atheists usually post billboards and other non-belief or "myth" stuff, it mainly includes Christianity, and during the Christmas/Holiday season, it targets Christmas.

Why are they afraid to post "myth" stuff about Judaism and Islam?
I think they are scared because they know how strong Muslims and Jewish are, and what consequenses they will get for doing it, while poor Christians does not usually do anything about it.

This is ridiculous!

PS! I'm not Christian myself, but it's very unfair. If you are going to post stuff about something, INCLUDE all religions, or leave them alone and keep your own beliefs to yourself.
Atheist should respect that they live in a country where close to 80% are Christians (some states even higher %). Keep in mind that the U.S. has the world's largest Christian population.
Because Jews and Muslims don't go door to door looking to talk about Jesus. They don't proselytize. Judaism is not a religion that believes in gaining converts. Islam welcomes converts but they don't have the same missionary practices as Christianity.

The only religion that does missionary work and actively seeks to pull people away from beliefs they already have is Christianity.

I don't think it is unfair.

Old 12-05-2011, 09:13 AM

16,294 posts, read 28,526,360 times
It is not an attack, but defense against the bronze age ignorance that christianity represents, plus there the simple logistics, the dominate religion in this country is christianity. Due to this fact, christianity presents the greatest threat to the freedoms and future of this country.

If Jews, or Muslims or FSM followers were the dominate religion, you would be asking the question why they were being targeted as thinking people defended societies future.

Christians merely represent a threat that is in our own backyard.

When the followers of christianity stop telling me I'm going to hell, demanding that I become as ignorant as they are, stop working to legislate their ignorance, bigotry and hatred into laws that effect everyone, then I will be less vocal, but still watchful.

I am concerned for the security of our great nation, not so much because of any threat from without, but because of the insidious forces working from within. ~ General Douglas MacArthur

Old 12-05-2011, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzymom View Post
Because Jews and Muslims don't go door to door looking to talk about Jesus. They don't proselytize. Judaism is not a religion that believes in gaining converts. Islam welcomes converts but they don't have the same missionary practices as Christianity.
Quote:

The only religion that does missionary work and actively seeks to pull people away from beliefs they already have is Christianity.

I don't think it is unfair.
There are 2.3 billion Christians in the world, which is the world's largest religion. Just because a minority try to teach about Christ and Christianity doesn't mean all the 2.3 billion are the same.

I never heard any Christians go "door to door" and try to convert people to Christians (Besides some Jehovah's witnesses and few Mormons). They usually teaches about the religion how wonderful it is. Converting to Christianity isn't something that takes two minutes. There are steps you have to do, such as getting baptised etc.

In many Islamic countries - it is illegal to leave Islam, and most Muslims have large families, so they are not in need to have more people being Muslims. However, if you are in a Muslim country, many Muslims want Non-Muslims to convert to their religion.

There are many Jewish out there, especially in Israel, who teaches about the religion and try to convert many Muslims and Christians to Judaism.
Believe me, there are some, just like there are some Christians.
BTW most Jews don't care about others, and want to stick to each other and grow the religion by having plenty of kids. Most of them don't like when people convert to their religion, since they mainly want people that were born from a "Jewish mother".

Last edited by -Lucy-; 12-05-2011 at 09:26 AM..

Old 12-05-2011, 09:19 AM

10,564 posts, read 12,817,540 times
Because most atheists were raised as Christians - and were poorly informed and trained in the mysterys of Christ..they are bitter and resent those that practiced Christianity because they saw flaws in the presentation...to bad for them - cos' to understand what it really is - is a great support - power and blessing...as I said before - most atheists are against religion...but in the core- they really do believe in goodness and God...It's all in the translation and presentation..religion can ruin people..Recently I listened to an acedemic atheist who was spewing off some political theory of his own...fine and dandy ...Untill he mentioned a few times that he was an atheist ...so politically I could not take him seriously - because he was so sure of himself..How can some one truely be sure of the existance of God or the non-existance of God? It is impossible - NO ONE knows for sure...It becomes a question of blind intelligent faith...so...in my estimation no aggressive atheist has real crediblity in anything they propose...Not religious - or political.

Old 12-05-2011, 09:24 AM

4,082 posts, read 5,042,004 times
Quote:
There are 2.3 billion Christians in the world, which is the world's largest Christian population. Just because a minority try to teach about Christ and Christianity doesn't mean all the 2.3 billion are the same.

I never heard any Christians go "door to door" and try to convert people to Christians. Converting to Christianity isn't something that takes two minutes. There are steps you have to do, such as getting baptised etc.

In many Islamic countries - it is illegal to leave Islam, and most muslims have large families, that's why they don't care about people to convert.

There are many Jewish out there, especially in Israel, who teaches about the religion and try to convert many Muslims and Christians to Judaism.
Believe me, there are some.
Christians have come to my house 2 times this month. Mormans and Jehovah's witnesses. Both times I had to stop what I was doing and tell them I was not interested and they left literature even though I said NO.

Judaism is not a religion that actively seeks converts. There are those who seek to convert Jews to actively become more observant Jews. There are Messianic Jews and make no mistake they are not part of Judaism. They are part of Christianity. There are Jews for Jesus and again they are not part of Judaism.

But Judaism has always discouraged conversion because in the past to become Jewish often could mean death for the convert and death for anyone who had helped him to convert from Christianity to Judaism. Israel is the last place that you will find folks proselytizing and trying to convert Jews to orthodox Judaism.

In fact a rabbi will turn anyone interested in conversion at least 3 times.

Anyway back to my response. Out of all the religions the evangelical/fundamentalist absolutely want to gain souls for Jesus and all you have to do is go over to the Christianity forum and read up on what they believe as to bringing people to Jesus.

It is a core part of what they believe.

Old 12-05-2011, 09:25 AM

16,294 posts, read 28,526,360 times
Quote:
There are 2.3 billion Christians in the world, which is the world's largest Christian population. Just because a minority try to teach about Christ and Christianity doesn't mean all the 2.3 billion are the same.
That is the same logic that allowed segregation to exist for centuries in this country. White were the majority, black the minority and even after we rid ourselves of slavery, segregation was the law of the land.

Based on your username, I going to assume you are female. Have you learned anything about the rights women have today (like to vote) due to the movement of a minority of women during the woman's suffrage movement?

“The greatest threat to freedom is the absence of criticism.”

Old 12-05-2011, 09:30 AM

3,483 posts, read 4,044,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
Because most atheists were raised as Christians - .

I think the above is the most important part of your post.
Most vocal Atheists have an axe to grind, and are using the same dogmatic, zealousness that affected their previous belief to fuel their new "un"-belief. They seem to find it a duty to help "enlighten" those people who are still Christians. They sometimes see themselves as bearing some sort of secret knowledge that needs to be spread, and with their help the entire institution will come crashing down. They seem to think that the whole concept is so simple, that if one were to just sit down with a Christian, explain it to them, point out some things, that the Christian would immediately deconvert.

This ignores the various stages in which the Atheist had to go through to become one in the first place. It's highly doubtful that they instantly converted from full-blown Christian to full-blown Atheist in a moment's notice. It took time. And I think many forget that.
It also ignores the power of religion, and ritual, and social groups. Some people don't care if something is true or not - as long as they receive something out of it. This Theory of Religion posited that religious belief is rational, because the adherent is expecting to get something (eternal life, social assistance or contacts, etc) that they normally could not get without it. A good example is some of the plagues in Rome - many people noticed that Christians had a high survival rate (mostly because of the social contacts that administered aid to the sick, the immunities that were built up by administering Christians going into people's plagued homes, etc.) and attributed this to the power of the Christian God. The pagan social structure was quite clear in teaching that nobody had any responsibility to help anyone other than their own family. Galen himself (the famous doctor) mentions this in a note, when he fled the plagued city. The Christians had this responsibility, though. Anyways - it's just an example of that particular Theory of Religion.

Plus, in addition to being a former Christian in many cases, Christianity is the "dominant" religion of America - so it receives the most flak from American Atheists.
And..... Christians won't write a death sentence for you if you insult one of their prophets, in case that's being forgotten.

Old 12-05-2011, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Christians have come to my house 2 times this month. Mormans and Jehovah's witnesses. Both times I had to stop what I was doing and tell them I was not interested and they left literature even though I said NO.

Judaism is not a religion that actively seeks converts. There are those who seek to convert Jews to actively become more observant Jews. There are Messianic Jews and make no mistake they are not part of Judaism. They are part of Christianity. There are Jews for Jesus and again they are not part of Judaism.

But Judaism has always discouraged conversion because in the past to become Jewish often could mean death for the convert and death for anyone who had helped him to convert from Christianity to Judaism. Israel is the last place that you will find folks proselytizing and trying to convert Jews to orthodox Judaism.

In fact a rabbi will turn anyone interested in conversion at least 3 times.

Anyway back to my response. Out of all the religions the evangelical/fundamentalist absolutely want to gain souls for Jesus and all you have to do is go over to the Christianity forum and read up on what they believe as to bringing people to Jesus.

It is a core part of what they believe.
I do agree that there are many Jehovah's witnesses who knock people's door and try to teaches their own beliefs, but those are minority people.

Believe it or not, my in-laws are very religious Christians, yet they have sign on their door saying "Jehovah's witnesses - NO Thanks".
Jehovah's witnesses are somewhat different from other Christians... they don't even celebrate any Christian holidays

Again, don't judge an entire religion but a tiny minority

BTW when I was in NYC, there were Jewish teenagers on 5th avenue who tried to teach us about their religion, why we should observe sabbath etc. etc. despite us not being Jewish.

Old 12-05-2011, 09:33 AM

3,483 posts, read 4,044,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
That is the same logic that allowed segregation to exist for centuries in this country. White were the majority, black the minority and even after we rid ourselves of slavery, segregation was the law of the land.

Based on your username, I going to assume you are female. Have you learned anything about the rights women have today (like to vote) due to the movement of a minority of women during the woman's suffrage movement?

“The greatest threat to freedom is the absence of criticism.”

I think you're missing "her" point: that a few fundamentlaist extremists are not representative of Christians as a whole.

And whether a certain logical argument allowed for something bad to happen or not - it doesn't necesarrily make it "bad" logic. Claiming that it does is bad logic. Analogy does not prove or disprove a theory.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality