Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2011, 10:37 AM

1,816 posts, read 2,512,583 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Lucy- View Post
Well I also think that many Christians get upset when they rename stuff to "Holiday trees", "Holiday santa", "holiday lights" etc. when they know it refers to Christmas, yet they try to avoid the term "Christmas".
Actually this is kind of irksome to me too, but for reasons unrelated to religious beliefs. I just find it silly when people try to forcibly change the language when everyone knows what they really mean. They are Christmas trees. I just don't think Christmas is inherently just for Christians anymore. It has been changed to something bigger than that.

Quote:
Most Christians are fine with "Holiday hours" posted in stores. Stores saying "Happy Holidays" on Christmas Eve, especially when other holidays have passed, sounds silly and ridiculous - even if they know the customer is Christian. I've seen many customers wearing a "cross", and associates still greet them "Happy Holidays" on Dec 24.

BTW let's go back to topic... I would love to hear more what atheists have to say
Agreed, back to the topic, since I think we've determined that atheists have nothing to do with the "War on Christmas."

As for why there seems to be a higher emphasis on countering Christians? It's because, as you say, Christians are the vast majority of the country and culture. If America was primarily Jewish, we'd have threads saying "why do Atheists attack mostly Jews?"

There really isn't a reason why Christians are "singled out" than simple math. More Christians means more cultural impact.

Old 12-05-2011, 10:38 AM

33,527 posts, read 37,128,036 times
Quote:
Well I also think that many Christians get upset when they rename stuff to "Holiday trees", "Holiday santa", "holiday lights" etc. when they know it refers to Christmas, yet they try to avoid the term "Christmas".

Most Christians are fine with "Holiday hours" posted in stores. Stores saying "Happy Holidays" on Christmas Eve, especially when other holidays have passed sounds silly and ridiculous - even if they know the customer is Christian. I've seen many customers wearing a "cross", and associates still greet them "Happy Holidays".
I'm sure you are right...My exposure to Christians on the forum has convinced me that they will whine about the most trivial things. What does it matter how people express their wishes for a happy season...They are still good wishes aren't they?

You say you are not a Christian, but you sure sound like one...

Old 12-05-2011, 10:47 AM

1,743 posts, read 2,159,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whoppers View Post
And..... Christians won't write a death sentence for you if you insult one of their prophets, in case that's being forgotten.
Well, they won't (can't) now, because we rationalists (not just atheists) have managed to wrest control of society from their insane grip and put them in the dunce corner where they belong. Rest assured that if Christians still wielded the power they did just a short time ago, they would still be beheading, burning and torturing atheists, rationalists, witches, pagans and others who dare speak out against their absurd mythology and telling the truth on the origins of their god and his "word".

Old 12-05-2011, 10:48 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,284,151 times
Quote:
It seems like atheist only target Christians and Christianity, and very seldom any other religions, which share similar beliefs.
When atheists usually post billboards and other non-belief or "myth" stuff, it mainly includes Christianity, and during the Christmas/Holiday season, it targets Christmas.

Why are they afraid to post "myth" stuff about Judaism and Islam?
I think they are scared because they know how strong Muslims and Jewish are, and what consequenses they will get for doing it, while poor Christians does not usually do anything about it.
Not sure which atheists you are on about but generally atheists dont care about religion or god figures and really couldnt care less about other peoples religous practices, you seem to be painting atheists as some rival to your religious beliefs when in actuality we just dont care, we dont think about it,we dont talk about it, we dont care about it and we certainly wouldnt waste our time targeting religions or wasting money by posting billboards.
Muslims Christian and Jewish religions or any others for that matter?
speaking for all atheists WE DONT KNOW AND WE DONT CARE..

Old 12-05-2011, 10:57 AM

1,743 posts, read 2,159,211 times
Quote:
And BTW, why not leave Christians alone (or all religions), and keep their owns beliefs to themselves?
Wow, talk about exploding irony meters.

It is in fact Christians who need to leave others alone and keep their beliefs to themselves. If you did that, you would have ZERO problems with anyone "persecuting" Christianity. It is YOU who are the aggressors here. And it is not just atheists who are offended by Christians arrogance and sense of self entitlement, but all of us who stand for freedom and the principles this country was founded upon - SECULAR principles, including separation of church and state. When Christians learn and get it in their heads that this country is NOT theirs, was NOT founded by them and for them, and stop trying to get their religion foisted into our classrooms, courtrooms, laws and government, then we patriots will stop "persecuting" you. Until then you can whine all you want. We're not going anywhere. We'll hold you down and make you take your medicine like the spoiled children you are.

Old 12-05-2011, 11:00 AM

939 posts, read 1,024,801 times
You ask why atheists only target Christians instead of other religions? I think atheists target Christians because they know that there won't be an aggressive backlash--unlike some other religions.

Old 12-05-2011, 11:06 AM

4,082 posts, read 5,041,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheoGeek View Post
You ask why atheists only target Christians instead of other religions? I think atheists target Christians because they know that there won't be an aggressive backlash--unlike some other religions.

Moderator cut: edit not take the aggressive route that Christianity does. Christianity has missions all over the world to convert others, it actively seeks converts and has historically had that as one of its central beliefs.

Christians will tell you that Jesus has told them to seek converts where ever you go, and they do.

Last edited by june 7th; 12-05-2011 at 02:03 PM..

Old 12-05-2011, 11:08 AM

4,082 posts, read 5,041,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
I'm sure you are right...My exposure to Christians on the forum has convinced me that they will whine about the most trivial things. What does it matter how people express their wishes for a happy season...They are still good wishes aren't they?

You say you are not a Christian, but you sure sound like one...

She believes in Christ but is not a Christian........ I am not sure how that works...

Old 12-05-2011, 11:16 AM

3,402 posts, read 2,787,155 times
To address the original question, for me it is a combination of two already mentioned factors.

First, Christianity was a dominant and pervasive force in both my upbringing and where I lived for much of my life. I grew up in the deep south until I was 25 and returned for a few years just recently. If you have not lived there, particularly in the rural south, you don't really understand just how integral fundamentalist Christianity is in those regions. Once you are not a part of that culture, it is incredibly isolating. It is very easy to get caught up in criticizing a particular religion, when it is the one that is imposing. I have never personally had issues with Muslims, Buddhists, Jews, or even Catholics, just Protestant Evangelicals.

The second is that in addition to personal experience, I only have experiential knowledge of one broad facet of Christianity. I was raised to believe that Fundamentalist Evangelical Protestantism was the only true expression of Christianity. As such, it still represents the face of organized religion to me. It is also the one that I have the most intimate knowledge of. I understand it, and as such can discuss it in much more depth. I realize that my knowledge of other religions is much more superficial and biased (Most of what I know of Catholicism, Mormonism, JWs, Islam, and others is based on protestant propaganda to discredit it). This doesn't mean I believe any of these others. I still have fundamental issues with all forms of theism, but I can discuss the version I followed much more intelligently.

NoCapo

Old 12-05-2011, 11:20 AM

15,501 posts, read 17,070,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzymom View Post
She believes in Christ but is not a Christian........ I am not sure how that works...
I believe Jesus(as) is real and a Great Prophet. Moderator cut: edit

Going back to topic. I do not think most Christians realize how aggressive they can be. Proselytizing is very much a personal attack upon a person or people and people will fight back when attacked.

Last edited by june 7th; 12-05-2011 at 01:57 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality