Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2011, 09:54 AM

1,816 posts, read 2,512,239 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Lucy- View Post
Keeping the word "Christmas" and "Christ" away is War on Christmas.

If like everyone is saying that Christians are the dominants in America, then why exclude their holiday and use Christmas instead of "holidays" ?!
Everyone knows that they refer to Christmas when saying "the holidays"
Because store owners know that not everyone shopping will be Christian, and rather than potentially scare away some customers, they take the path of least resistance. And they know that the vast majority of Christians won't really care that much if the teenage store clerk says "happy holidays" over "Merry Christmas."

Basically, if you really think there is a War on Christmas, place your ire at the free market. That's what is doing it, not atheists. Blame CEOs, not your friendly neighborhood nonbeliever.

Old 12-05-2011, 10:02 AM

16,294 posts, read 28,518,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whoppers View Post
Time to move

I live in an area that is not even religious, I suppose. Religion doesn't even play the slightest role in public or governmental life here. For the first time in years, I had 2 Jehovah's Witnesses on my door this morning. Other than that, I would never even know there was a Christian religion -besides a few churches with their billboards.
Leave Beer City USA.... ain't going to happen 12 micro and craft breweries and more coming

But yes, it definitely plays a roll in the local politics. Fortunately combined the sane christians plus the rest of us are the majority so it is pretty much held in check.

But our mayor is a fundie, and every year the permits are reviewed by council to issue permits, or events such a Brewgrass, Octoberfest, and others and every year she votes against the sale of beer at these events.

Old 12-05-2011, 10:08 AM

87 posts, read 120,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fillmont View Post
Because store owners know that not everyone shopping will be Christian, and rather than potentially scare away some customers, they take the path of least resistance. And they know that the vast majority of Christians won't really care that much if the teenage store clerk says "happy holidays" over "Merry Christmas."

Basically, if you really think there is a War on Christmas, place your ire at the free market. That's what is doing it, not atheists. Blame CEOs, not your friendly neighborhood nonbeliever.
I don't understand why someone would get offended by "Christmas" when they know they live in a country where Christianity is the dominant religion \

It's like visiting Israel in December and being offended when I see menorahs and "Hanukkah" sale etc. rather than "Holidays" for the 25% that are not Jewish in Israel.
Same thing if I visit a Muslim country and being offended when they greet me with "Happy Ramadan" or whatsoever.

Last edited by -Lucy-; 12-05-2011 at 10:22 AM..

Old 12-05-2011, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoppers View Post
I think political correctness might have something to do with it.
We have the Holocaust in our memory (and it's popular to keep it always in one's awareness in order to "never forget"), and this prevents many people from being anti-semitic in their critical endeavors.
Let's not also ignore and forget the World War I genocide against the Assyrians, Armenians and Greeks that occured in Turkey area that killed around 3 million Christians. It is the second largest massmurder genocide after the Jewish one', yet it's still forgotten and ignored today.

Christians in general have been attacked and killed in history as well...

BTW there were also Christians & other Non-Jews who were killed during Hitler's holocaust in World War II so not only Jews were killed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Armenian_genocide
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assyrian_genocide
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greek_genocide

Old 12-05-2011, 10:14 AM

33,521 posts, read 37,121,123 times
I don't understand why some people whine and bellyache about such unimportant trivia every year during the holiday season...Good grief, the holiday did not even originate with Christians, but was originally pagan....Happy Solstice.

Old 12-05-2011, 10:15 AM

Quote:
I don't understand why someone would get offended by "Christmas" when they know they will in a country where Christianity is the dominant religion \

It's like visiting Israel in December and being offended when I see menorahs and "Hanukkah" sale etc. rather than "Holidays" for the 25% that are not Jewish in Israel.
Same thing if I visit a Muslim country and being offended when they greet me with "Happy Ramadan" or whatsoever.
You know, I don't really get it either. I'm not offended by Christmas, and in fact celebrate it secularly. You'll have to ask the people who actually make these decisions, which are, again, not atheists, but the CEOs and store owners.

But apparently there are enough people out there that are at least uncomfortable with overly Christian theming that CEOs and store owners feel that this is the best way to go.

And it works, because they haven't decided to switch to an overt Christian theming, despite the outcry from some Christians. In the end, it seems to make more sense, economically, to just say "its the holiday season" and be done with it.

What I don't understand is the outcry from certain Christians about this whole thing. Do they really feel that their relationship with God or Christ is at peril if the pimple-faced kid doesn't say "Merry Christmas?" I thought Christmas, for Christians, was about more than that, namely, the spirit of giving, family, etc. So what if store owners want to go with the all-inclusive route. You know what you believe, so be merry with that.

Old 12-05-2011, 10:19 AM

11,186 posts, read 6,501,935 times
Quote:
I understand that Christianity is the majority and dominant religion of America, but many American atheist (even the president of American atheist) lives in area where Jewish have strong influence, particularly in New York/New Jersey area, and most of the northeast. So it's not like they only see Christianity stuff, and not any other religion.

For example, they have "war on Christmas" but not "war on Hanukkah", when they see menorah and hanukkah in many parts of high Jewish areas.
Jews are still heavily influenced on the American society.

And BTW, why not leave Christians alone (or all religions), and keep their owns beliefs to themselves?
I mean, really. Comparing Hanukkah and Christmas as an American cultural phenomenon ? It's beginning to look a lot like Hanukkah ? I'm dreaming of a white Hanukkah ? The Maccabees are coming to town ? Not to mention the 2-month deluge of more religious and commercial stuff.

Because Christianity is the overwhelming religion, it's natural that anti-theists focus on that religion as the target.

Old 12-05-2011, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
I don't understand why some people whine and bellyache about such unimportant trivia every year during the holiday season...Good grief, the holiday did not even originate with Christians, but was originally pagan....Happy Solstice.
It might not be important for you, but I'm sure it's important for millions of other people.

Whether Christmas is or was a pegan holiday or not is your own beliefs.

Christmas is to celebrate the birth of Jesus Christ. There are other topics in this forum why Christmas is a Christian holiday. Take a look if interested

Merry Christmas & Happy Holidays!

Old 12-05-2011, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Whether Christmas is or was a pegan holiday or not is your own beliefs.
Just want to comment on this right quick: while Christmas today is most definitely a Christian holiday to a great many people, no one can deny that its origins are of a Pagan nature. This is just a simple fact.

That said, there's no reason why it can't be enjoyed by all manner of people, as either a celebration of Christ or as a celebration of the changing seasons or as simply a time to be with family and enjoy cocoa. So Merry Christmas, everyone.

Old 12-05-2011, 10:30 AM

Well I also think that many Christians get upset when they rename stuff to "Holiday trees", "Holiday santa", "holiday lights" etc. when they know it refers to Christmas, yet they try to avoid the term "Christmas".

Most Christians are fine with "Holiday hours" posted in stores. Stores saying "Happy Holidays" on Christmas Eve, especially when other holidays have passed, sounds silly and ridiculous - even if they know the customer is Christian. I've seen many customers wearing a "cross", and associates still greet them "Happy Holidays" on Dec 24.

BTW let's go back to topic... I would love to hear more what atheists have to say
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality