Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2011, 11:37 AM

4,082 posts, read 5,040,720 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
Moderator cut: Orphaned

Going back to topic. I do not think most Christians realize how aggressive they can be. Proselytizing is very much a personal attack upon a person or people and people will fight back when attacked.

She has stated that Jesus is G-d in her post, you call yourself a Muslim and Jesus a prophet. You are very clear in your beliefs.

She has not been.

Here are her posts that connect her to a belief in Jesus as G-d.

1. Keeping the word "Christmas" and "Christ" away is War on Christmas.

2. Christmas is to celebrate the birth of Jesus Christ. There are other topics in this forum why Christmas is a Christian holiday. Take a look if interested

Merry Christmas & Happy Holidays!

3. I'm not Christian because I was not raised Christian or baptised, but my husband is and my in-laws. However, I still believe in Christ.

4. I also don't understand why Judaism says "Believe in one, only God" - Well Jesus is God.

Last edited by june 7th; 12-05-2011 at 01:58 PM..

Old 12-05-2011, 11:39 AM

2,472 posts, read 3,196,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by -Lucy- View Post
It seems like atheist only target Christians and Christianity, and very seldom any other religions, which share similar beliefs.
When atheists usually post billboards and other non-belief or "myth" stuff, it mainly includes Christianity, and during the Christmas/Holiday season, it targets Christmas.

Why are they afraid to post "myth" stuff about Judaism and Islam?
I think they are scared because they know how strong Muslims and Jewish are, and what consequenses they will get for doing it, while poor Christians does not usually do anything about it.

This is ridiculous!

PS! I'm not Christian myself, but it's very unfair. If you are going to post stuff about something, INCLUDE all religions, or leave them alone and keep your own beliefs to yourself.
Atheist should respect that they live in a country where close to 80% are Christians (some states even higher %). Keep in mind that the U.S. has the world's largest Christian population.
Many forums are mainly American, so we have to deal with Christians the most. I criticise all religion.

Also, I will criticise whoever I want in the public sphere. Christianity is not immune from criticism, so telling people to leave them alone makes you look quite juvenile.

Old 12-05-2011, 11:46 AM

3,423 posts, read 3,212,799 times
Erm, Christianity is perscuted? I don't think so:

Old 12-05-2011, 11:47 AM

3,402 posts, read 2,786,533 times
Quote:
I do not think most Christians realize how aggressive they can be. Proselytizing is very much a personal attack upon a person or people and people will fight back when attacked.
This!

In addition, there can be a lot of thoughtlessness in social occasions. I think I have shared this before, but a year or so ago, I went to a local professional organization, ostensibly non-religious. They opened with prayer, in particular, a fairly Protestant invocation to Jesus. It made me a bit uncomfortable, as I don't want to pretend to be a Christian, but I don't want to alienate members of my professional community. I resent being placed in that position a bit.

I also find it disturbing that many of the same people who feel that this is reasonable would be upset if the invocation was offered to Allah, or in some cases even a prayer to a non-specific "ecumenical" deity. I certainly don't want to limit the ability of believers of any stripe to come together, but please label religious gatherings clearly, and leave religion out of those that are not labeled as such. I hate showing up for a party, and being made to feel like I was invited by mistake.

NoCapo

Old 12-05-2011, 11:47 AM

939 posts, read 1,024,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orogenicman View Post
Erm, Christianity is perscuted? I don't think so:
What is that a chart of? Population? Persecution?

Old 12-05-2011, 11:53 AM

1,727 posts, read 2,547,479 times
I don't think they target ONLY Christians. I think they are most at conflict with those religions that are the most outspoken. I also think they take issue with the fact that Christians believe that non-believes will go to HELL. This seems to be a serious point of contentions for a LOT of non-christians.

It seems that many non-believers interpret that belief as a form of being judgmental. Instead of just accept the fact that this is whey the Christians CHOOSE TO BELIEVE. I find it extremely ironic that so many people are completely intolerant of the Christians beliefs, while in the same breath they accuse Christians of being intolerant!

Old 12-05-2011, 11:54 AM

16,294 posts, read 28,518,209 times
Quote:
I do not think most Christians realize how aggressive they can be. Proselytizing is very much a personal attack upon a person or people and people will fight back when attacked.
And I know some that are deliberately aggressive in the personal attacks in telling total strangers their beliefs are wrong.

I could take you downtown (here in the bible belt) and point them out just about any day of the week, but especially weekends or if there is some event that draws large numbers of people for them to scream (with the aid of a megaphone) their hatred at while holding a bible in their other hand.

Old 12-05-2011, 12:00 PM

939 posts, read 1,024,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
And I know some that are deliberately aggressive in the personal attacks in telling total strangers their beliefs are wrong.

I could take you downtown (here in the bible belt) and point them out just about any day of the week, but especially weekends or if there is some event that draws large numbers of people for them to scream (with the aid of a megaphone) their hatred at while holding a bible in their other hand.
What is the message of their hatred?

Old 12-05-2011, 12:03 PM

1,816 posts, read 2,512,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheoGeek View Post
What is the message of their hatred?
Among other things, that people are wrong/sinful for the way they were born.

And that if you don't believe the way they do, you must be immoral and substandard.

Old 12-05-2011, 12:06 PM

1,727 posts, read 2,547,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by -Lucy- View Post
Keeping the word "Christmas" and "Christ" away is War on Christmas.

If like everyone is saying that Christians are the dominants in America, then why exclude their holiday and use Christmas instead of "holidays" ?!
Everyone knows that they refer to Christmas when saying "the holidays"

So many things I'd love to comment on, but that would take me all day.
So, I decided to just pause on this one for now.

Maybe part of the expression "Happy Holidays" isn't to exclude Christ from Christmas, but to acknowledge that during this time of year, there are several Holidays happening! Hanukah, Kwanzaa, New Years! It's a lot easier to say Happy Holidays, than to say, "Merry Christmas! or Happy Hanukah, or Happy Kwanzaa and Happy New Year!" every time you run into somebody and want to wish them happiness for the season!

So, that MIGHT be part of the Happy Holiday movement.

And YES, there are some who are offended by Christmas and the fact that Christians want to openly express their beliefs. That IS true. But I do believe that is the minority.

I wouldn't say there is a WAR against Christmas, but certainly there are at least some small battles against it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality