Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2011, 11:47 AM

8,396 posts, read 9,439,375 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007.5 View Post
Atheists Complain About Cross at Ground Zero: Should Anybody Listen?

Seems like this issue has reached the mainstream media as i just heard it talked about on a daily syndicated radio program , its online , and in the newspapers . I heard on the program that Atheists are complaining because 'its making them sick as they walk by the cross' , they find it offensive , and it shouldnt be a public display at a Memorial .

How do Atheists feel when they see Arlington National Cemetary on TV with rows of white crosses as far as the eye can see ? Does it make them feel nauseated ?!

Are these Atheists justified , or, it is yet another case of not wanting to be reminded what the cross represents ... what do you think ? No vitrol intended with this post...I just find it absurd what militant Atheists will come up with.

It's like this...

Among us atheists, there are a few hardcore fundamentalists.

Maybe you religious guys have a few of your own?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2011, 12:24 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,518,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 007.5 View Post
Then how come the common Atheist as well as the Militant Atheist finds such great disdain with the Christian cross , go to great lengths to protest it / rid it from society , and despise the Jesus who died on it ? How come if its just 'a bronze age symbol' , Atheists muster up so much hostility toward it ?
It represents willful and deliberate ignorance, and the obligatory bias, bigotry and hatred that is ingrained in the bronze age ignorance, all of which is detrimental to society as a whole.

Of course of all the religious symbols, only one is the symbol of a method of execution

Old 12-04-2011, 12:31 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,890,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
Christians stage loud protests at the funerals of fallen American soldiers for their role in supporting America's homosexual agenda.

What's that you say? That doesn't reflect the beliefs of 99% of Christians?

Oh. Maybe the same with atheists.
Hey what a great point.

Old 12-04-2011, 01:38 PM

2,541 posts, read 2,540,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
Christians stage loud protests at the funerals of fallen American soldiers for their role in supporting America's homosexual agenda.

What's that you say? That doesn't reflect the beliefs of 99% of Christians?

Oh. Maybe the same with atheists.
They are not Christians and they do not reflect my beliefs or any genuine Christian that I know of.

Old 12-04-2011, 01:42 PM

33,523 posts, read 37,121,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garya123 View Post
They are not Christians and they do not reflect my beliefs or any genuine Christian that I know of.
Oh really? Since they believe in Christ and hold the same views as most Christians I see on this forum, but are more vocal about it, I disagree...They are as much Christian as you are.

Old 12-04-2011, 01:58 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,890,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Oh really? Since they believe in Christ and hold the same views as most Christians I see on this forum, but are more vocal about it, I disagree...They are as much Christian as you are.
I guess it just depends on how one defines what a Christian is...... I dont consider the westboro baptists to be Christians but merely hate mongers trying to make a name fort hemselves through their outrageous tactics... not to mention what they do goes directly against their Bible.

Old 12-04-2011, 02:13 PM

33,523 posts, read 37,121,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
I guess it just depends on how one defines what a Christian is...... I dont consider the westboro baptists to be Christians but merely hate mongers trying to make a name fort hemselves through their outrageous tactics... not to mention what they do goes directly against their Bible.
I agree that they are hate mongers, but what do you call the Christians on this forum that hold the same views and bigotries towards gays as the Westboro people do? I have seen some pretty atrocious anti gay sentiments expressed here as well.

Old 12-04-2011, 03:01 PM

641 posts, read 558,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
In my view, you're wrong; in my view, the Westboro Baptist Church EXEMPLIFIES the spirit of Judeo-Christianity, while tamer Christian denominations merely dissociate themselves from the downright psychotic commands of the Judeo-Christian god.

Exodus 21:20-21 gives explicit instructions on how to beat one's SLAVE to death; the author of Exodus, (who was almost certainly not Moses, since Moses apparently never actually existed in history), specifically details that a slave owner who beats his slave to death is not guilty of a crime, so long as the slave survives the beating for 24 hours before dying. Similarly, bipolar Yahweh (who, being just one of several gods in the ancient Hebrew pantheon, was originally only Israel's war god) orders the killing of infant children, following the defeat of their fathers on the battlefield, a practice that is strictly forbidden by the Geneva Convention, meaning that schizophrenic Yahweh, if he were in command of a military force today, would be unequivocally declared guilty of crimes against humanity. Furthermore, nut-case Yahweh, in the book of Isaiah, (which could not have been written by a single author), endorses the killing of children "for the sins of their fathers," another practice unmitigably forbidden by modern law. And in the book of Psalms, Yahweh is described as "tak[ing] pleasure in dashing the infants' heads against the rocks." In fact, the list of atrocities committed by lunatic Yahweh in the various Biblical tales far, FAR exceed the list of atrocities committed by the Satan character, who, in Old Testament literature, simply plays the role of an adversary to Yahweh, and in many cases, a sort of agent of his will, and not the supernatural mega-embodiment of evil that he has become over the millennia.

Needless to say, showing up at a funeral, singing bizarre religious songs and carrying signs is an extremely, EXTREMELY tame application of what, at its roots, is really a psychotic, barbaric, tribal , warmongering, uneducated, immoral, chauvenistic, mysogenistic, sex-life-obsessed, murderous, slave-owning, deplorable, confusing, illogical, cruel, unfair, comical, horrifying collection of Bronze-Aged religious beliefs.

And though nobody on Earth can know what Jesus said and did while he lived, since we don't have any reliable writings about him, it is stated by the author of at least one Biblical book that Jesus openly endorsed the ENTIRE Old Testament; murders, plunderings, forced marriages, bigotry, failed prophecies, scientific illiteracy, slavery and all.

Last edited by rpc1; 12-04-2011 at 04:11 PM..

Old 12-04-2011, 03:09 PM

1,196 posts, read 753,272 times
it's sad, when someone disagrees with most of society. there's a complaint, seem like a personal problem to those who complain about those who seem to be complaining. i know Jesus was crucified, steak, beam, or cross. i don't hold close to my heart any object that showed an innocent person's death. it's like my love one dying by a murderer's gun. and wear around my neck a chain with a piece of jewelry made in the form of a gun.

though i understand why many do it. so do i understand why many atheist don't believe in God. many have their valid reasons. after all they see the many things , so-called things done in the name of God, that's pure evil. many are called haters, but i've seen just as many hating "believers" yet those same believers, think they have a first class ticket to Heaven. personally, i don't understand why post crosses. what does it represent being posted? because posting a cross by my love,one's grave wouldn't mean a thing to me. peace

Old 12-04-2011, 03:31 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,156,959 times
Is this any different than the Christians complaining about a Mosque near Ground Zero?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality