Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2012, 08:04 AM

1,835 posts, read 3,273,881 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by islander03 View Post
Does anyone have experience on what happens (or could happen) when you list your house under "Make Me Move" on Zillow?
I randomly put my house on the make me move part of zillow one time about a year ago...I priced it about 25% higher than it was really worth and I got one legitimately interested person, and about 50 agents emailing me.

I intentionally used a spam email account, and no phone number....The legitimately interested person I responded too but I ignored all the agents...I was not actually interested in selling - just playing with Zillow to see if it was actually a viable route for putting something up for sale myself...I think a person COULD sell through zillow, but it will take a lot of sifting through spam.

I bet quite a few of the make me move folks are doing this same thing...so it could just be a tremendous waste of everyone's time...I would have sold for 50% more than asking, but not 25%...at least not right then...now - well maybe now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2012, 10:24 AM

2 posts, read 9,800 times
2 things, Houses dont really sell well on Zillow or the other BS FSBO sites. And "Make Me Move" is watching stupidity in action. Anyone that can buy your house cash are generally pretty savvy, and any investor who is not a mouth breather has a highly competent agent looking for them-they only care about a property in as much as what they can turn it for, or rent it for. They don't care about the view, your tomato garden, or outdoor fireplace.

So that leaves you with a buyer who is financing, and there is no way in hell your house is going to make appraisal-even if the stars align, and some idiot actually makes an offer on your house.

Listing on Zillow or any similar site is nothing more than soliciting Realtors to call you ad nauseum, or llllllllllllooooooooooooooowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww bbbbbbbbbbbbaaaaaaaaaaaallllllllllllllllllllllllll llll offers..

Old 12-14-2012, 10:26 AM

2 posts, read 9,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marksmu View Post
I randomly put my house on the make me move part of zillow one time about a year ago...I priced it about 25% higher than it was really worth and I got one legitimately interested person, and about 50 agents emailing me.

I intentionally used a spam email account, and no phone number....The legitimately interested person I responded too but I ignored all the agents...I was not actually interested in selling - just playing with Zillow to see if it was actually a viable route for putting something up for sale myself...I think a person COULD sell through zillow, but it will take a lot of sifting through spam.

I bet quite a few of the make me move folks are doing this same thing...so it could just be a tremendous waste of everyone's time...I would have sold for 50% more than asking, but not 25%...at least not right then...now - well maybe now.
Is your house under contract? Are you ready to watch it die when appraisal comes in?

Old 12-14-2012, 11:08 AM

6,957 posts, read 22,338,749 times
I'm still waiting for a "make me move" home to come within 30% of it's real value. Perhaps it should be called "Trolling for a stupid buyer"

Old 12-14-2012, 11:51 AM

6,069 posts, read 14,797,344 times
I wouldn't even waste my time going on there. I'd rather waste my time here responding to all the non-Realtor real estate experts trying to save the world from the nasty old NAR and crooked Realtors; and listening to rants on how Realtors should be running their business.

"Don Quixote Rides Again"; and again.

Old 12-14-2012, 01:01 PM

1,835 posts, read 3,273,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by REPhoAZ View Post
Is your house under contract? Are you ready to watch it die when appraisal comes in?
Did you read the part where I said I was not actually interested in selling? Doesnt matter...

I can certainly see zillow helping sell houses in a hot market....In the extremely hot markets people fight over properties...bid the price up, have to bring cash to closing b/c it wont appraise etc....in my area right now the tear down properties are all held by investors who sell fsbo. Its EXTREMELY common for the investor to put the white Lowes for sale sign in his yard and for it to sell in days to a builder...the builders here in my spot market are extremely aggressive...they outbid the individuals every single time, they buy lots before they post to the MLS daily. They are not looking to steal the lot, b/c they are putting $800K houses on $300K lots....if they pay $335K it means less profit, but certainly not a big profit....the spec builders are building 25% into each house here.

The area is red hot, lots are at a premium, and builders are fighting over the properties that did not get new restrictions last year....FSBO in that market works just as well as For Sale with agent. Ive seen it with my own eyes over and over again.

Old 12-14-2012, 05:44 PM

15,597 posts, read 40,505,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Whaddaya mean, "glamour shots?"

Is it MY fault that the camera loves loves loves me?
You do look quite fetching in red. Add some bling and you'll rock the real estate world.

Old 12-15-2012, 01:57 PM

223 posts, read 515,625 times
What's with all the Zillow bashing on this site? Are they making new agents write bad things about Zillow as part of their "re-education"? Zillow is a great site to get information about the house, especially if you aren't familiar with its local Assessor site. I just sold for half of Zillow, so what? I still made a 148% price increase in two years. The buyers finally made an agreement on their 6th visit.....the reason: a realtor was there in response to my make me move ad, posted on CL (one click). I was getting ready for the MLS (with a higher price), but actually I had read so much beaching by agents, about doing 50K deals, that I am quite satisfied doing it myself, and won't be missing the 3000 in my wallet, at all. Zillow has a single letter stock ticker, and is used commonly as a verb. Compare the role of the Appraissers to the role of Zillow in the GFC, and it would be apparent that some are barking up the wrong tree.

Old 12-24-2012, 08:03 PM

138 posts, read 320,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by islander03 View Post
Does anyone have experience on what happens (or could happen) when you list your house under "Make Me Move" on Zillow?
I contacted one that had been out there about 2 years. After about 3 weeks I got a reply from him.
He made a very good offer to me and subtracted 6% from the county appraised value because he would have to pay that to realtors shortly when he listed it. He had been planning to build a house which was just finished when I contacted him. I lost interest in that neighborhood so I never went to see the house.

Old 01-05-2013, 04:31 PM

341 posts, read 685,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sutyotsuk View Post
What's with all the Zillow bashing on this site? Are they making new agents write bad things about Zillow as part of their "re-education"? Zillow is a great site to get information about the house, especially if you aren't familiar with its local Assessor site. I just sold for half of Zillow, so what? I still made a 148% price increase in two years. The buyers finally made an agreement on their 6th visit.....the reason: a realtor was there in response to my make me move ad, posted on CL (one click). I was getting ready for the MLS (with a higher price), but actually I had read so much beaching by agents, about doing 50K deals, that I am quite satisfied doing it myself, and won't be missing the 3000 in my wallet, at all. Zillow has a single letter stock ticker, and is used commonly as a verb. Compare the role of the Appraissers to the role of Zillow in the GFC, and it would be apparent that some are barking up the wrong tree.
I think most of the Zillow bashing comes from two separate parties:

a) Real Estate Agents seeing their business vanish from under them, due to people realizing their "services" are easily done via the internet, for a much lower costs than RE fees.
b) Home owners/Investors hanging onto property that they assume is valued much higher than what it really is.

Zillow provides all the services that an RE does, short of the standard contracts: You can find listings, make listings, get a decent valuation, see market trends, etc etc. And, since you can get a lawyer to draw up a boiler plate contract for very little money, the need for an RE is vanishing.

And then, we have property owners who are mad because Zillow estimates their property value much lower than what the property owner thinks it is worth. But, property owners fail to realize that computer models tend to be much more accurate than a "gut feeling".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate