Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2012, 12:08 AM

48 posts, read 180,009 times

Advertisements

we found a home we like and are thinking about making an offer, the only thing is the owner is an animal lover and has 4 dogs. she works at the shelter and is always fostering new dogs. that makes me uncomfortable because i have allergies (cats and dust are worse than dogs but I'm still allergic to dogs). the home seems pretty well maintained and my allergies didn't go crazy when I was inside, but that's 15 minutes compared to a lifetime... I've done some research and it seems like I can do the following: exterminate for fleas, steam clean tile floors and garage floor, get a restoration company to clean the walls and ceilings, have the house professionally cleaned, have A/C coils cleaned, have all A/C ducts cleaned, and then have the walls and ceilings repainted. this is going to cost at least 3-5k, and there's no guarantee it will work (but it probably will), has anyone been in this situation before? i live in Miami FL where what i want (newer home on large lot) is very hard to come by, so i that's why i'm considering all this! should i pass by this great home because of the dogs living there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2012, 04:41 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,007,728 times
I think your estimate for that work is too low, unless you already got estimates from each of these companies already.

What will you do if this 'deep cleaning' doesn't work?

You can steam clean tile, repaint the walls, and replace any carpet and padding, but your biggest issue will be the HVAC. If you feel it's that bad look into replacing the ductwork instead of just having them vacuumed out. Can you put in an offer with a stipulation that offer depends on a complete estimate of de-dogging the house? The owners might not agree with this is, but it can't hurt to ask and then you'll know up front how much it will cost

Old 12-29-2012, 06:09 AM

8,489 posts, read 20,634,479 times
Why not just explain to the owner that you want to make an offer but are concerned about your allergies, set a day where you could spend a couple of hours in the house. I would think if it doesn't bother you after a couple of hours that you will not need to go anywhere nears the lengths you have stated above.

Old 12-29-2012, 06:19 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,339,930 times
Depending on the price that the home is currently listed at it may be entirely reasonable to ask the seller for price concessions to cover the expected cleaning costs.

I have had deals where a professional grade allergen removal with full cleaning of all ducts / HEPA vacuuming of all surfaces / steam cleaning was specified. It will result in lower allergen counts than a trip to your average shopping mall (people carry their pet's allergens with them on clothing....). The cleaning will work. The only reason to replace the ductwork is if it is the type made of unsealed insulated board -- that stuff can harbor mold. Most homes use sheetmetal and it can be cleaned to "better than new" condition rather inexpensively with a combination of compressed air whips, truck mounted vacuums and if needed disinfecting fog.

It would be foolish to reject this home for something that is not all that uncommon. You've already been in the home, yes 15 minutes is not the same as living there but I suspect you have been in situations where 5 minutes of exposure to pet dander has caused a reaction...

Old 12-29-2012, 08:05 PM

7,280 posts, read 10,944,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beach and Tree Lover View Post
we found a home we like and are thinking about making an offer, the only thing is the owner is an animal lover and has 4 dogs. she works at the shelter and is always fostering new dogs. that makes me uncomfortable because i have allergies (cats and dust are worse than dogs but I'm still allergic to dogs). the home seems pretty well maintained and my allergies didn't go crazy when I was inside, but that's 15 minutes compared to a lifetime... I've done some research and it seems like I can do the following: exterminate for fleas, steam clean tile floors and garage floor, get a restoration company to clean the walls and ceilings, have the house professionally cleaned, have A/C coils cleaned, have all A/C ducts cleaned, and then have the walls and ceilings repainted. this is going to cost at least 3-5k, and there's no guarantee it will work (but it probably will), has anyone been in this situation before? i live in Miami FL where what i want (newer home on large lot) is very hard to come by, so i that's why i'm considering all this! should i pass by this great home because of the dogs living there?
First of all, passing on a house because the current owner has animals is not a very good criteria for rejection. Some will say..what if the cleaning doesn't work? Well, consider a house where the current owner doesn't have animal. What about the previous owner? For all you know they could have had a farm living inside right? What about visitors or neighbors?

Consider having the house tented. It costs some bucks but kills everything. Then followup with the cleaning and such and enjoy the home, it will probably be just fine.

One more thing, what if you come across a house where the owner no longer has animal but did at one time? You could go crazy trying to exclude a house because of animals. First, you can't be sure animal never lived in the house. Second, people can and do say anything to sell a house. Finally, properly done, pest control/elimination and the cleaning and reconditioning you mentioned work.

Fleas and such can invade any house, you deal with it when/if it happens. Get the house you like, fix what needs fixing and enjoy it.

Old 12-29-2012, 08:18 PM

2,957 posts, read 5,901,088 times
I have pet allergies and asthma and have lived in 6-7 different houses (as a renter). I haven't had a specific allergy problem at a particular house. My recommendation is to get the house professionally cleaned. You are going to be allergic to the pet dander/ hair.

The things you described seem like more money than 3-5K, but I would recommend a professional cleaning, a good furnace filter and a few HEPA filters running 24 x 7.

In fact, if you are really serious, ask the owner 1) to do a through cleaning and 2) if you can plug in 1 or 2 HEPA filters and hang out in the house for 3-4 hours, without her dogs around.

Old 12-30-2012, 12:25 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,807,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blazerj View Post
.................. 2) if you can plug in 1 or 2 HEPA filters and hang out in the house for 3-4 hours, without her dogs around.
Nice idea but where can the owner go with the dogs for that long a time? I could not go to the dog park as one of my guys can jump the fence there (only 4' tall). I can't drive around for 4 hrs since gas is so expensive. In the summer it is too hot just to sit in the car. As a seller with 2 large dogs, I hated the 2 hr open houses. I sold it anyway and I had 3 cats as well.

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 12-31-2012 at 02:34 PM..

Old 12-31-2012, 08:12 AM

2,957 posts, read 5,901,088 times
Maybe the seller can go to a movie and the dogs to a dog sitter (I guess they buyer would pay the cost)? Just an idea.

Old 12-31-2012, 02:35 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,807,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blazerj View Post
Maybe the seller can go to a movie and the dogs to a dog sitter (I guess they buyer would pay the cost)? Just an idea.
Good idea for a long visit!

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 12-31-2012, 02:50 PM

2,737 posts, read 5,454,783 times
Have you asked your allergist what is truly necessary and what is truly effective?

I believe that Consumer Reports has done research suggesting that cleaning the ductwork typically is an unnecessary expense.

Since more than 2/3 of American homeowners have at least one pet, I think you would be ruling out a lot of properties if you try to avoid a house with pets, and as others said, a house with no pets currently could have had them previously. If your allergist agrees that you are so allergic that all the steps you cite are necessary, then if I were you I would consider ONLY new construction.

Unless your seller is desperate, I believe he or she could get annoyed or insulted if you ask him/her to pay for anything other than a standard cleaning just after moving.

I agree that the work you cited will cost a lot more than you estimate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate