Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-27-2009, 11:32 AM

603 posts, read 1,948,883 times

Advertisements

I have a lot of pets.Dogs cats and birds.I work in the animal rescue field so thats why.Im a clean freak.I vacuum everyday.I dont live in filth.But people who have no pets will be able to tell even if i removed all of them while showing.I even go around a few times a week and wipe down walls and molding.Im a freak.

My house is tiny though.Two bedroom 1 1/2 bathrooms.Every house on the block is the same though.Over the years some of them built up and added on.But otherwise we are all identical.Very friendly and quiet block.I plan on redoing my kitchen and sunroom.Installing new countertops and tile floors.Finishing my basement and possibly adding a full bath.I paid $215k last year.One person on the block bought theirs for $400k years ago.So im hoping in a few years if everything turns around i can get atleast $300k.I live on Long island,NY.Even though i want to relocate elsewhere,it is a place many people like so i have high hopes.

But what the hell am i going to do with all of my animals?i wanted to get some advice from people on here who have had to do this before.I cannot board them.I am not made of money.Im just thinking im going to have to load em all up in the car and take a nice peaceful drive while its being shown

HELP!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2009, 11:59 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,467,108 times
You are on the right track. I have personally been in a homes of people not unlike you. Odor control / cleanliness is TOP Priority. Get a HEPA type air cleaner, and maybe an ozone / electrostatic device too. People will not want to have any sense of birds or other pets.

If you have a vehicle like one of those boxy Toyota, Suburu or Honda vehicle (which seem popular with pet owners...) you probably already know that you can do like Noah and get all creatures in "the ark". Get used to going out.

I am not sure I would spend huge money on tile floors, but get advice from local real estate people and even from repair people and such that see a lot of homes like yours -- you want to compare favorably with others in your neighborhood and price range.

You might be in competition with newer townhomes / condos so it might make more sense to amp-up your outdoor living area. If that includes sunroom great, but do not neglect the LANDSCAPING which ought to give you the edge over condos. If your yard has the "dog killed grass" you should address that -- even other pet owners will not be happy to think about your dogs urine damaging the lawn...

I am a dog lover and when I have sold my own homes, where I have had as many as three dogs, other agents can't believe I have had three big dogs. The key is to care of the lawn ALL YEAR ROUND with lots of clean-up and appropriate amounts of fertilizer and weed control. The commercial products are safe around pets, and work wonders if you follow the package directions. Places like ChemLawn also do an excellent job, and they have tips on dealing with a lawn that is shared with pets. Winter, spring, summer and fall I do the things that the experts say and the results are impressive. My lawn helps sell my house.

I had strict standards for renters, and that is another thing to consider -- as you have a small home the alternative might be some one to consider a bigger home and just rent. You want people to see your home as "blank slate" where everything will be FRESH and up to them. The prep work you do, to make it seem perfect from the curb to the spotless bathrooms and everything in between will make it VERY appealing to someone that wants to make it their own.

Good Luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate