Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2024, 07:29 PM

8,272 posts, read 3,516,036 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by xray731 View Post
OMG - this is Fordham - these kids have no clue why they are doing this but smart enough to wear masks so they won't be suspended so they do realize what they are doing is frowned upon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XOYetxiD9EM
The common buzzword among the ones who talked is "divest" it seems. The powers that be roll out a new buzzword and they just latch on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2024, 12:53 AM

3,862 posts, read 1,800,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yspobo View Post
The common buzzword among the ones who talked is "divest" it seems. The powers that be roll out a new buzzword and they just latch on.

It does seem that way. Do they really think they are going to change foreign policy?

Old 05-03-2024, 05:32 AM

89,156 posts, read 44,939,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wintergirl80 View Post
It does seem that way. Do they really think they are going to change foreign policy?
If they disagree with how their school functions (they're demanding divestment, etc.), why don't they transfer elsewhere? Why are they PAYING and likely BORROWING BIG $$$$$$ to attend a school that clashes so fundamentally with their belief system? Time for them to realize THEY made a mistake a transfer elsewhere to a school better suited to them.

Old Yesterday, 11:42 AM

13,235 posts, read 21,855,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog View Post
Soros does not control the Tides Foundation. That's a persistent lie that Oreilly and Fox News have been pushing for decades.

Read this link from Politico that debunked that back in 2010. https://www.politico.com/story/2010/...e-soros-044343

Note that he's been the target of right-wing wackos trying to kill him.

The only difference between then and now is that in 2010, Soros contributed under 5% of Tides funding. Today he contributes 2% of their funding.

For example, NGO-MONITOR says this:
From the Tides balance sheet, their revenue for 2021 was $1,339,406,314 (Link: https://www.tides.org/wp-content/upl...nal-Issued.pdf page 4)

So Soros only contributed 2% of Tides total budget for 2021 if my math is correct. Feel free to check it, or compare to other years.

He also does not appear on the Tides executive staff, nor on the board of directors. Link: https://www.tides.org/about/leadership/

So yeah, O'Reilly as usual is full of crap. I'm frankly shocked to see him being used as a reference here.

Tides is a HUGE clearing house for liberal charitable organizations. The way they're being portrayed in the media you'd think their sole function was to fund Palestinian causes. But that's a minuscule (and unfortunate) part of what they do.

Again, I would refer you to the Soro's OSF grant search engine to look at the donations he's made to Tides, and there are a lot of them. These are all targeted "donor restricted" grants that specify how the money is to be used. Here's the direct link to their Tides grants: https://www.opensocietyfoundations.o...d=OR2022-85573

You can click on each grant to see how the funds are to be used, and the regions which appear all over the world. It would take a long time to go through each of their Tides grants, but a random sampling shows very few grants given to Palestinian concerns (except for Jewish Voices for Peace which I detest.)

I think you'll be fairly shocked to see how much good he and Tides for that matter does in the world. Is he and they to be thrown under the bus for funding a few organizations with which we don't agree?

Good to see that Fox News is even starting to push back against Republicans who claim Soros is funding the protests. https://thehill.com/homenews/house/4...dent-protests/

Old Yesterday, 11:46 AM

22,365 posts, read 29,491,867 times
I can tell you this: If that was me being blocked-none of those people would have any teeth left.

Old Yesterday, 11:51 AM

52,322 posts, read 52,784,279 times
I never thought in my lifetime I'd ever see video of someone questioning a person about being Jewish and then physically blocking them from entering a building.

It's vile disgusting behavior that we as a country should never allow to happen. They need to fire everyone in the school's administration that are responsible for this failure in leadership.

Old Today, 09:38 AM

18,483 posts, read 15,279,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
If they disagree with how their school functions (they're demanding divestment, etc.), why don't they transfer elsewhere? Why are they PAYING and likely BORROWING BIG $$$$$$ to attend a school that clashes so fundamentally with their belief system? Time for them to realize THEY made a mistake a transfer elsewhere to a school better suited to them.
First, these idiots all have to get rid of their iPhones, which have Israeli technology in them. Not only does Apple buy Israeli tech, but they actually have a large R&D center in Israel. So they are all filming their “revolution” with Israeli made products while calling for others to divest from Israeli products.

Old Today, 09:55 AM

6,138 posts, read 4,624,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVNomad View Post
I’m in agreement this sort of “protest” is not appropriate. What troubles me, however, is not the lack of action by the Federal government or the police, but that the Universities seem to be unwilling to address this in a very simple and direct manner——telling the protestors to stop harassing others or they will be expelled. This doesn’t need to be complicated, nor is force required to address this situation. I suspect if the schools expel a few students from forcibly preventing others from attending class, you will see an immediate and marked decline in this sort of behavior.
I agree. This is the most common sensical approach/response I've seen. Expulsion is a big deal so they should give them every opportunity to behave and it should be used sparingly. But if they are going to continually disrupt the school, after being given chances to rethink their behavior, it should be an option.

Not every conflict needs armed feds escalating it more than it already is.

Last edited by Jowel; Today at 11:13 AM..

Old Today, 11:46 AM

3,342 posts, read 1,440,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jowel View Post
I agree. This is the most common sensical approach/response I've seen. Expulsion is a big deal so they should give them every opportunity to behave and it should be used sparingly. But if they are going to continually disrupt the school, after being given chances to rethink their behavior, it should be an option.

Not every conflict needs armed feds escalating it more than it already is.
Thank you for that last statement in particular. You don’t call the army if the police will suffice. And you don’t call the police is you can handle a conflict safely on your own. Escalating this issue is so unnecessary in terms of resolving it, and only plays into the hands of the protestors who are behaving inappropriately.

Old Today, 12:42 PM

19,878 posts, read 18,158,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVNomad View Post
Thank you for that last statement in particular. You don’t call the army if the police will suffice. And you don’t call the police is you can handle a conflict safely on your own. Escalating this issue is so unnecessary in terms of resolving it, and only plays into the hands of the protestors who are behaving inappropriately.
That seems to fly in the face of recent history. To significant degrees Vandy, UT-Austin, UT-Dallas, ASU and a few others called in the cops and disturbances lessened. Columbia has tried to use reason and logic and buildings were taken over and damaged.

At a minimum colleges have a duty to remove non-student agitators and especially professional agitators who disrupt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies