Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2024, 12:56 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,696,773 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley. View Post
This is a topic that will never be settled and there is plenty of judgement to go around on both sides of the issue.
I'm curious — why are there even two "sides" to this? Leash laws are leash laws.

Edit: I don't think there's anything all that wrong with your particular approach, but most who let their dogs run free in areas covered by leash laws aren't so conscientious.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 01-02-2024 at 01:15 PM..

Old 01-02-2024, 01:03 PM

163 posts, read 95,670 times
It's really for your protection, if your dog runs out in the middle of the street and gets hit, or worse, causes an accident, you as the owner are 100% liable. Voice and obedience training are important, but sometimes dogs can still have unpredictable behaviors, especially in high stress or emergency situations. By keeping your dog on a leash, you are not only protecting others from potential harm, but also protecting your dog from potential dangers and liability.

And I am not walking past a cattle ranch, just a stroll in my neighborhood.

I do now carry mace and a stun gun but it's sad that I have to take those precautions because some people think that letting their dog walk off-leash is somehow beneficial or a sign of good training.

Old 01-02-2024, 01:33 PM

1,852 posts, read 873,115 times
I'm a firm believer in pepper spray on unleashed dogs. With luck, it will also get the owner as well.

Old 01-02-2024, 02:46 PM

23,259 posts, read 18,777,131 times
Quote:
This is a topic that will never be settled and there is plenty of judgement to go around on both sides of the issue.

I 'own' a cattle dog (he really owns me but that's another story entirely). He has no cattle. He is a high energy dog who needs plenty of exercise. If I'd REALLY known what I was getting into, I would likely not have gotten this breed of dog. I have, however, grown to deeply love this critter, warts and all. (He stole my ham hock off the kitchen counter NYE when I was going to make a split pea soup. I'm still not talking to him.)
That said, each environment is as different as the owners and their dogs. If we are 'in town' the dog is on his leash. But we do live in a rural area, and if we go to one of the trails to walk with him, which we do often, if there is no one else there, no one in the parking lot, we let him off the leash....at least at the start of the walk....even though he is supposed to on the leash. Generally, we are in non-residential areas and not near any roads except the one into the parking area. He gets his mad few minutes to burn off his crazy and then back on the leash he goes. If we see or hear others coming, he goes back on the leash. He (finally) responds to recall.

It's a fine line to tread when you bring an animal into your home. They have needs just like we do. A little dog is different than a big dog; breeds are different with different needs, just like their humans. I'd guess that all of us who have dogs and love our dogs do the best we can to safeguard them. I would die if something happened to my beast and I won't put him in a position where he could be hurt. EDIT: I would also never intentionally/thoughtlessly put him in a position where he and another dog may fight and hurt each other.
This has always been my approach and I have been lucky to live where it's a viable option. If I am walking my dog in a rural area away from traffic or similar hazards, only distant people or dogs nearby he/she is allowed offleash. Bombproof recall is mandatory. As soon as the situation changes, back on a leash the dog goes. I would never stroll around a developed area with my dog off its leash for its own safety.

BTW, I've lived with 4 cattledogs so far. They were all over the map in terms of crazy. Actually, I wouldn't say any of mine were which was an indication that they got enough of a daily outlet for it. Still, I know better than to adopt crazy.

None of mine were habitual countersurfers but I didn't give them the opportunity to become one. One did manage to scarf a cooling party-sized Stouffer's lasagna off the stovetop. She ate everything but the burned bottom layer she couldn't manage to scrape off with her teeth. I kept waiting for the aftermath, but she didn't even blink. A few years later, same dog spent a few days at a co-worker's house where she scored a 2 pound block of half frozen bacon...complete with its plastic wrapper. Once again, we waited with bated breath for the result. Once again, she didn't bat an eye.

Old 01-02-2024, 05:06 PM

7,027 posts, read 4,889,008 times
I used to own a large dog and the only time he was off leash was when we were in an enclosed area with no other dogs around, or at the local percolation ponds that were alongside a park, and completely fenced. I'd also go there at the crack of dawn to make sure I was the only one there.

Recently, we had neighbors, who we don't know, who must have had someone visiting, because for a couple of days there was a large Rottweiler and a large German Shepherd running loose through everyone's yards. I have a cat that can get out of the way quite easily, but my neighbors have a small dog they bring with them on vacation and like to let out on a long leash to do her business. I warned them, because you never know.

The Shepherd wasn't mean, anyway, but when I leaned out the door to yell at him, he ran right into my trailer making a mess. I got a number off his collar (not in the local area) and left a piece of my mind. I also told them the next time their dogs were in my yard, the owners could pick them up at the local shelter.

Old 01-02-2024, 06:56 PM

15,592 posts, read 15,655,549 times
Have you considered contacting your city councilman or equivalent and suggesting a leash law?

Old 01-02-2024, 07:06 PM

981 posts, read 539,238 times
Quote:
That said, each environment is as different as the owners and their dogs. If we are 'in town' the dog is on his leash. But we do live in a rural area, and if we go to one of the trails to walk with him, which we do often, if there is no one else there, no one in the parking lot, we let him off the leash....at least at the start of the walk....even though he is supposed to on the leash. Generally, we are in non-residential areas and not near any roads except the one into the parking area. He gets his mad few minutes to burn off his crazy and then back on the leash he goes. If we see or hear others coming, he goes back on the leash. He (finally) responds to recall.
Same here. If I'm in my neighborhood I certainly have her on a leash but if we're on one the many hiking trails up in the mountains near where I live then she's off the leash. She chased after a deer once but came back after about 20mins. That's the only issue I've had.

Old 01-02-2024, 07:37 PM

9,439 posts, read 5,201,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
I'm curious — why are there even two "sides" to this? Leash laws are leash laws.

Edit: I don't think there's anything all that wrong with your particular approach, but most who let their dogs run free in areas covered by leash laws aren't so conscientious.
I think it comes down to rural vs suburban vs urban. There are people out here who let their dogs run loose on their own property, acreage, because they are farm people. The dog/s is out with them all day. They wander alone. It's part of their lifestyle and I think they don't believe animals should be penned in or chained up.
I would never use my approach in a developed neighborhood. And I would probably have a dog I could put in my purse. LOL

Old 01-02-2024, 07:46 PM

9,439 posts, read 5,201,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
This has always been my approach and I have been lucky to live where it's a viable option. If I am walking my dog in a rural area away from traffic or similar hazards, only distant people or dogs nearby he/she is allowed offleash. Bombproof recall is mandatory. As soon as the situation changes, back on a leash the dog goes. I would never stroll around a developed area with my dog off its leash for its own safety.

BTW, I've lived with 4 cattledogs so far. They were all over the map in terms of crazy. Actually, I wouldn't say any of mine were which was an indication that they got enough of a daily outlet for it. Still, I know better than to adopt crazy.

None of mine were habitual countersurfers but I didn't give them the opportunity to become one. One did manage to scarf a cooling party-sized Stouffer's lasagna off the stovetop. She ate everything but the burned bottom layer she couldn't manage to scrape off with her teeth. I kept waiting for the aftermath, but she didn't even blink. A few years later, same dog spent a few days at a co-worker's house where she scored a 2 pound block of half frozen bacon...complete with its plastic wrapper. Once again, we waited with bated breath for the result. Once again, she didn't bat an eye.
Had a friend in TX who had a cattle dog that lived to be 17 yrs old. She told me he used to run off and steal the Mexicans lunch and one time went through a neighbor's patio door and took steaks off their kitchen counter!!! They were getting ready to grill!! smh

I should know better than to turn my back on this one, because he'll grab something off the counter, and be gone like a shot. He is fast. But he's particular and only goes after the good stuff.

He gets more exercise than all four of our previous dogs combined (but they were labs) because he does need it and he is in his element when he is in the woods sniffing, jumping over trees, maybe chase a chipmunk....

Old 01-02-2024, 09:39 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,696,773 times
Quote:
I think it comes down to rural vs suburban vs urban. There are people out here who let their dogs run loose on their own property, acreage, because they are farm people. The dog/s is out with them all day. They wander alone. It's part of their lifestyle and I think they don't believe animals should be penned in or chained up.
I would never use my approach in a developed neighborhood. And I would probably have a dog I could put in my purse. LOL
I think it also depends on what part of the country you live in. My home in Alaska is remote, not rural, but dogs left to roam don't last long. My other home in Oregon is in a suburban environment, and dogs off-leash are commonplace on local trails and in parks, not that it's appreciated. I don't think my grandparents' farm dogs ever left their property, but I do know that it's an automatic death sentence for any animal caught chasing livestock around here — not sure how it was in their day, though. When I was a kid, my father had this idea that rural dogs should be left to roam, but my mother put her foot down and said no more dogs until there's a fence after they kept getting hit by cars.

Out here, the 9th Circuit Court has handed over all public spaces to the homeless, which means parks, trails — even some of the farther flung ones — are likely to contain biohazards and other unsafe attributes. Additionally, a lot of our unhoused fentanyl addicts have dogs of their own that are often poorly socialized and in protective mode. But that wasn't what I asked. My point was that in areas with a leash law in place, there's no valid "other side." But I know what you mean. People have to use their brains about when/where off-leash is okay, but most of them don't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets