Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2024, 06:11 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,696,773 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCC_1 View Post
I'm not disputing the existence of common law rights, I'm disputing the existence of and prosecution using common law offences.

The court in that instance held that the owner of the chickens had a right to protect his chickens from being killed by dogs and that right couldn't be usurped by legislation. Nothing at all to do with a common law offence.
Thanks for clarifying; I wasn't sure what point you were trying to make or how it was applicable to the discussion(still not sure how it's relevant).

There are states in which common law crimes can be prosecuted, btw.

Old 01-13-2024, 06:42 PM

4,216 posts, read 4,885,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Thanks for clarifying; I wasn't sure what point you were trying to make or how it was applicable to the discussion(still not sure how it's relevant).

There are states in which common law crimes can be prosecuted, btw.
No problem. The only real point I was trying to make is that something is legal until it's made illegal by statute – with very limited exceptions. In a rural place like Montana it seemed unbelievable that laws wrt livestock and animal welfare wouldn't be codified.

Anyway, this thread is well off topic.

Leash your dogs, people.

Old 01-13-2024, 07:55 PM

51,649 posts, read 25,796,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
Off topic much?
Right on topic.

Neighbors threatening to shoot dogs, cows, and who knows what else.

Leash your dogs or keep them home on your own property.

Though hard to imagine how your $10K dog would ever get shot by a neighbor because, as you say, it never leaves your property.

Old 01-14-2024, 01:21 PM

30,311 posts, read 51,917,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
If the person was a threat, he would definitely shoot them. He's had to run people off in the past, especially teens who were running around on motorcycles. He's shot near boats on the river that were full of drunks shooting handguns randomly in the air in his direction.

He lives on 500+ acres with few neighbors. What do you think he should do when some random dog comes bounding onto his land? The general response in those cases is to shoot the dog before it has a chance to hurt you, unless it has a collar and is obviously friendly.
Must be terrible to live one's life in so much fear. I don't own a single gun, so in my case I'd go inside and maybe call animal control. But I'd first assess the situation, and consider maybe the poor dog is lost or was abandoned nearby. I certainly wouldn't kill them simply for existing on my land, and don't fear dogs enough to think such a response (aside from clear & present danger/threats) would ever be necessary.

And I'm not in a city or suburbs, before you go assuming I'm a "city girl." I live in a semi-rural mountain town, where some people actually LET their dogs free-roam (despite laws that prohibit this). I've still never heard of anyone shooting a dog here; but we also don't typically have livestock, due to smaller property sizes and the abundance of wild coyotes/mountain lions/boars/hawks/etc. If anyone does have chickens or other small livestock, they're kept in a VERY secure enclosure to avoid being killed by the wildlife.

Old 01-14-2024, 01:59 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,815,517 times
The End.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets