Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2024, 07:05 AM

51,655 posts, read 25,843,388 times

Advertisements

People don't leash their dogs because it is easier to let them run loose.

They justify it by saying their dog needs more exercise than they can provide on leashed walks, or the dog needs to sniff around and be a dog, or ...

If you have a dog that needs to hunt, roam free, etc., then take them to a game preserve. But that would require effort. So instead they let them roam around on trails meant for hikers and bikers, in parks, and neighborhoods while claiming their dog is well trained, so it is no bother to anyone else.

As pointed out above, they are shocked, shocked I tell you when their "well trained" dog attacks another dog, or a person.

Old 01-06-2024, 09:17 AM

5,656 posts, read 3,160,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highlanderfil View Post
That's great. The problem is that when you're out with them in public, you're the only person who knows that.I think you were looking for the word "statuTe". There are none (although causing mental harm can be an arguable legal matter), but, then again, the concept of basic decency isn't written in statutes, either. It's just something you align to in the (occasionally vain) attempt not to be an ass.

You've trained your dogs well. Others haven't. Problem is, a passerby doesn't know which he's dealing will until it might be too late, so it's best, on the dog owner's part, to exercise the lowest common denominator rule. People are more likely to be apprehensive of an "aggressive breed" (which is a nonsensical term to begin with, but has stuck around), so, as you've correctly pointed out, ensuring that the dogs are on their best behavior in public falls on the owner.
But they said this was on their own property. If the dogs have NEVER bothered anyone, than there is no problem. YOU being scared is not their problem.

Old 01-06-2024, 10:06 AM

19,787 posts, read 22,688,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
People don't leash their dogs because it is easier to let them run loose.

They justify it by saying their dog needs more exercise than they can provide on leashed walks, or the dog needs to sniff around and be a dog, or ...

If you have a dog that needs to hunt, roam free, etc., then take them to a game preserve. But that would require effort. So instead they let them roam around on trails meant for hikers and bikers, in parks, and neighborhoods while claiming their dog is well trained, so it is no bother to anyone else.

As pointed out above, they are shocked, shocked I tell you when their "well trained" dog attacks another dog, or a person.
I don’t have to take my dogs to a ‘game preserve’, whatever the heck that is. Our multiuse trail system is a leash free zone. Leashes required at the trailheads and within 100yds of such, then animal must remain in sight and under voice control. There are some minor complaints and a few people were pushing for 'leash laws', but when it came time for public hearing and comments no one spoke up with any problems and a lot of people spoke up in favor of leash free zones. The City is now doing an educational component urging dog owners to learn how to train their dogs for 'proper etiquette'. I'm all for making owners toe the line for training their dogs on recall and etiquette.

We're fortunate- Mountain bikers, hikers, birdwatchers and bums all get along. A lot of mountain bikers bring their dogs. Hell of a workout!

I will say this- it's far, far easier to slap a leash on a dog and go for a walk than it is to actually devote the time and effort to train a dog to heel or recall off leash.

Last edited by Threerun; 01-06-2024 at 10:20 AM..

Old 01-06-2024, 10:19 AM

5,681 posts, read 5,164,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnazzyB View Post
But they said this was on their own property. If the dogs have NEVER bothered anyone, than there is no problem. YOU being scared is not their problem.
They didn't actually say anything on the subject. And I wasn't aiming my comments at one forum member. Leashing the dogs in public applies to 100% of the dogs, 100% of the time. Irrespective of whether or not their dogs "have ever bothered anyone".

For the record, I absolutely adore (most) dogs and willingly say hi to any dog that passes me by and wants to interact. But not when that dog is off-leash, no matter the breed.

Old 01-06-2024, 10:19 AM

19,534 posts, read 9,549,956 times
Visited relatives out of state. They may have had a rather large plat and they tried to coax us to let our dogs run without a leash. I might have trusted one but not the other and wouldn’t be fair. So I kept
mine on leash. I’d hate to lose any of them. Who knows what could capture their attention. Maybe ok for my relative to since they live there. Neighbors might recognize them.

Old 01-06-2024, 12:39 PM

23,314 posts, read 18,877,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
I don’t have to take my dogs to a ‘game preserve’, whatever the heck that is.
If some area actually is a "game preserve" it would make no sense to allow dogs to run loose. Wouldn't create much of a "preserve" now, would it? I have actually worked at different types of wildlife reserves/refuges/game management areas in real life. Outside game retrieval/active hunting activities dogs had to be confined and/or leashed. Letting a dog run loose otherwise was a citable offense. No different than some hiking trail or other public land that isn't deliberately designed or designated as an off leash dog park.

Old 01-06-2024, 04:35 PM

2,077 posts, read 2,019,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clevergirl67 View Post
I'm a firm believer in pepper spray on unleashed dogs. With luck, it will also get the owner as well.
Travel can of Raid here . I finally got tired of it .. and I was raised on a 2 section cattle ranch in the 60's-early 80s and you still better have that dog on a leash . I like cats anyway but still ...

This is one of the many reasons I am selling my house I bought about 18 months back . I live in a 55+ and these have to be the worst .. omg .

I have been bitten EIGHT times in this gated park since Dec 2022 twice by the same one .I am not the only one here complaining about it either .

These are all small really vicious and its like they think that because they are small they cannot hurt anyone . Or that I should love them just as much as they do .. wrong . I finally went to the office where I live and told them if it happens again I am getting legal help . I don't care if I make enemies I am leaving anyway .

This one neighbor called me to come over to her porch area so she could apologize for her dog getting out of the house and biting me. I didn't want to come over there so she came out to me .. I told her it was ok, let it go ... but she kept on anyway .. she was trying to say something and I swear if that little creature didn't come flying off the porch yet again and latched onto my leg and my foot and I could not get it off and neither could she and it was hurting me badly and I ended up pretty much kicking a 50 yrd field goal with it to get rid of it . YUCK !!!

She screamed out etc and I went straight to the office to report and yes I have taken a ton of pics of the injuries everytime . I did not need stitches or anything but I have had to go on a different walking route now.

Old 01-06-2024, 05:00 PM

10,311 posts, read 6,856,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
You reminded me of a time (the only time) my wife and I walked one of our dogs around a 2 mile city park in Helena MT ON LEASH. We were approaching an older lady walking 2 Afghan hounds all perfect and poised and my 90lb German shorthair pointer was pulling towards her dogs to have a 'meet n greet'. You know- read the local news as it were. I pulled him back of course but the old bitty yelled "You need to have your dog TRAINED!!"

Well that chapped my rear. I said "Oh lady- he is trained." I unleashed him and yelled "FIND THE BIRD!!" and he took off on a field search in the soccer fields, sniffed a crow and locked up on point".

I said "See?- totally trained."

The irony? Anyone watching Schnitzel locked up on point without a leash was whooping and hollering because watching a well trained working dog do his thing is a beautiful sight. I laughed at the whole thing. Snooty old gal got pie in her eye.
You're right, there's NOTHING like a GSP on point. NOTHING.

Old 01-06-2024, 05:27 PM

15,441 posts, read 7,506,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchessCottonPuff View Post
Travel can of Raid here . I finally got tired of it .. and I was raised on a 2 section cattle ranch in the 60's-early 80s and you still better have that dog on a leash . I like cats anyway but still ...

This is one of the many reasons I am selling my house I bought about 18 months back . I live in a 55+ and these have to be the worst .. omg .

I have been bitten EIGHT times in this gated park since Dec 2022 twice by the same one .I am not the only one here complaining about it either .

These are all small really vicious and its like they think that because they are small they cannot hurt anyone . Or that I should love them just as much as they do .. wrong . I finally went to the office where I live and told them if it happens again I am getting legal help . I don't care if I make enemies I am leaving anyway .

This one neighbor called me to come over to her porch area so she could apologize for her dog getting out of the house and biting me. I didn't want to come over there so she came out to me .. I told her it was ok, let it go ... but she kept on anyway .. she was trying to say something and I swear if that little creature didn't come flying off the porch yet again and latched onto my leg and my foot and I could not get it off and neither could she and it was hurting me badly and I ended up pretty much kicking a 50 yrd field goal with it to get rid of it . YUCK !!!

She screamed out etc and I went straight to the office to report and yes I have taken a ton of pics of the injuries everytime . I did not need stitches or anything but I have had to go on a different walking route now.
Always contact the police or animal control if you get bitten. The owners may have to keep their dog locked up on their property for some time as a quarantine measure. I would also be tempted to tell the owners that you will want the dog tested for rabies, which requires cutting off the head of the offending creature. That especially applies to dogs that are not current on their rabies shots.

I love the image of the dog sailing off the end of your leg for a long distance aerial ride.

My Dad got bitten by a small off leash dog years ago and the owner was shocked when my Dad told him that it it happened again, the dog would die, either by stomping or with the pocket knife he always carried.

Old 01-06-2024, 06:13 PM

5,681 posts, read 5,164,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchessCottonPuff View Post
These are all small really vicious and its like they think that because they are small they cannot hurt anyone
Because they're small, their owners don't think they need to be trained and nothing could be farther from the truth. Happens waaaaay more often with small dogs than big ones in my experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets