Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2010, 07:19 AM

6 posts, read 15,882 times

Advertisements

My 13 1/2 year old dog is very sweet to people but not friendly to other dogs. If you were looking for an area where the dogs are consistently walked on-leash and kept safely in their yards/houses otherwise - which city or area would you recommend? My dog is always on leash for his walks and I make detours (cross the street, etc...) when potential problems approach.

Here is what I would like to avoid....currently we live in a semi-rural area now where dogs regularly escape from their properties (most are never taken out for walks) and are alone on the streets (and it is scary to see a chow-mix or Ridgeback walking down the street giving your dog the 'eye'). We have also lived in more urban areas (Berkeley, L.A.) where we have met lots of dogs off-leash and/or not under control (owners are often not clued into their dog's behavior). These situations may work for 80% of the dogs out there - but definitely does not work for mine.

Just to be clear - I am not asking about the trails - just the cities and neighborhoods.

Thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2010, 07:42 AM

4,564 posts, read 10,955,920 times
Well, I can only speak for my neighborhood and the area in general a bit. I'm in s.w. Longmont. My neighborhood buts up to a very big park that is park of a greenbelt. That's where I walk my dog every day - about 4.5 miles.

I have a dog just like yours - she's fine if she can meet another dog one on one while not on a leash and heavily supervised. Her problem is alpha female - and she wants to control everything (part border collie part malamute). When walking her I also pull to the side. We cannot take her to dog parks.

It probably doesn't help that she has the friendly face in the world - but it's her body language. What happens is she gets the other dogs riled up while she does nothing....can't tell you how many times I've heard, "oh my, my dog has never acted like that before!" while mine just sits there smiling.

We've never had an issue in our neighborhood. Sure, sometimes a dog will get out, but it doesn't effect her in any way.

We do have leash laws here. But I will say.... on the path I go on here by my house, people many times don't think it pertains to them and there is no one to enforce it. We have had issues. I've had to yell at people to do something about their dog who is coming at us. They always say, "my dogs friendly!" and I always say, "mine's not!". Everyone seems to think that every dog on the path should be able to sniff each other and don't seem to take the hint very well. Even when I have pulled over - they will still allow their dog on one of those stupid retractable leashes to try and come over to her!

Park of the problem along this stretch is that it's surrounded by neighborhoods. I think some people think it's an extension of their yard or something. When we put her in the car and take her to other areas, we don't have the dog off leash problems we do along this path. And there are some open space places in the county that are patrolled.

You'll just have to find those areas where people are more consistent walking their dogs on a leash. They do exist, but unfortunately there are always some who think it doesn't apply to them, so you just have to be prepared. We have so many dog parks here - that's what I find frustrating. If they want to have social time with their dog, go to a dog park....

Little bit of a rant here - you hit a pet peeve of mine!

Old 09-27-2010, 08:10 AM

2,075 posts, read 5,123,825 times
The City of Boulder has very strict leash laws. Voice and Sight Control (http://www.bouldercolorado.gov/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=4647&Ite mid=996 - broken link)
Dogs are required to be on-leash in all city parks. There are areas where voice and sight control are allowed and require compliance with the Voice and Sight Tag program. In fenced dog parks, dogs can be off-leash as long as they do not display aggressive behavior.
Boulder Open Space trails allow dogs off leash but they must be under sight and voice control - and you need a dogtag to prove it. OSMP - Dogs

Old 09-27-2010, 09:24 AM

3,176 posts, read 6,217,846 times
Just a heads up -- do you have a "green" tag? If you're caught without one the fines are steep.

OSMP - TAG Program Welcome Page

Old 09-27-2010, 09:27 AM

4,564 posts, read 10,955,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idlewile View Post
Just a heads up -- do you have a "green" tag? If you're caught without one the fines are steep.

OSMP - TAG Program Welcome Page
Well, I don't think the OP has any interest in off leash walking - the issue is others doing the off leash walking and where to go where that isn't happening.

Old 09-27-2010, 09:56 AM

JKCoop is correct - we are only talking about my dog being on-leash at all times (and JKCoop, I have had the same experiences that you described in your reply - many people find it difficult to understand that dogs have different preferrences - and ours just don't like anyone too close!).

Old 09-27-2010, 10:39 AM

7,841 posts, read 19,000,942 times
A few months back, I got bit on the ankle while walking thru my neighborhood. Not a serious bite, but it did break the skin and p*ssed me off big time. I now carry a hiking stick with a pointed end, which I will not hesitate to use if an even moderatley agressive dog approaches me. IMO, ALL dogs, big or small, friendly or agressive belong on a leash ( a real leash...not one of those useless retractable ones ) in public areas that are not designated as dog parks. That being said, I am not a dog hater. I owned a dog for 14 years until he got old and died, and that was the saddest day of my life. I love dogs....when they are under the CONTROL of their owner.

Old 09-27-2010, 12:00 PM

CosmicWizard - sorry to hear about your loss, it is always painful when our beloved animals die.

Can you tell me where you were walking (or where you walk?) - just wondering about the neighborhoods. Thanks.

Old 09-27-2010, 12:11 PM

7,841 posts, read 19,000,942 times
You know, I still miss that dog 4 years later. I walked more miles with him than I have with any other creature ( human or animal ). I calculated that we walked the equivalent of the entire Appalachian Trail from end to end about 4 times.

When I was bitten back in June, I was walking in a Grand Junction neighborhood...not in Boulder. This topic caught my attention, so I commented even though I don't live in the Boulder area at this time. Havent lived there since the early '70s.

Old 09-27-2010, 07:20 PM

377 posts, read 1,054,541 times
Old Town Longmont also has strict leash laws, even in the parks. But as it has been pointed out, there's always someone who thinks that the law doesn't apply to them. I would think that you'd have less problems in the more urban/central parts of any of these towns and more problems in the more rural areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area