Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2024, 05:41 PM

23,265 posts, read 18,777,131 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by adjusterjack View Post
Here's a woman that got killed wearing the leash around her waist.

https://abc13.com/woman-dragged-trai...bart/11020323/
I can certainly see how it could happen, but there's no way I would tether a dog to my waist like that in a fast moving situation such as boarding a train. I would want something in hand I can release in an instant if necessary.

Old 01-01-2024, 09:41 PM

10,292 posts, read 6,818,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yogacatt View Post
I have a very small dog.

I live in a very expensive neighborhood and town and for the life of me, I do not understand what is up with people not leashing their dogs. Especially bigger dogs.

I have been approached aggressively by big dogs off-leash because of my small dog and it makes me feel really unsafe walking him.

It's so irresponsible not to leash your dog.

What is so hard or difficult about putting your dog on a leash?
Some people think they're entitled....and that rules don't apply to them.

Old 01-02-2024, 06:39 AM

24,600 posts, read 9,440,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
Some people think they are special. They ARE special, as in they are especially stupid.
Yup, stupid and entitled.

And there is no place to escape them. They are everywhere.

Old 01-02-2024, 07:33 AM

9,439 posts, read 5,201,523 times
This is a topic that will never be settled and there is plenty of judgement to go around on both sides of the issue.

I 'own' a cattle dog (he really owns me but that's another story entirely). He has no cattle. He is a high energy dog who needs plenty of exercise. If I'd REALLY known what I was getting into, I would likely not have gotten this breed of dog. I have, however, grown to deeply love this critter, warts and all. (He stole my ham hock off the kitchen counter NYE when I was going to make a split pea soup. I'm still not talking to him.)
That said, each environment is as different as the owners and their dogs. If we are 'in town' the dog is on his leash. But we do live in a rural area, and if we go to one of the trails to walk with him, which we do often, if there is no one else there, no one in the parking lot, we let him off the leash....at least at the start of the walk....even though he is supposed to on the leash. Generally, we are in non-residential areas and not near any roads except the one into the parking area. He gets his mad few minutes to burn off his crazy and then back on the leash he goes. If we see or hear others coming, he goes back on the leash. He (finally) responds to recall.

It's a fine line to tread when you bring an animal into your home. They have needs just like we do. A little dog is different than a big dog; breeds are different with different needs, just like their humans. I'd guess that all of us who have dogs and love our dogs do the best we can to safeguard them. I would die if something happened to my beast and I won't put him in a position where he could be hurt. EDIT: I would also never intentionally/thoughtlessly put him in a position where he and another dog may fight and hurt each other.

Last edited by Riley.; 01-02-2024 at 07:47 AM..

Old 01-02-2024, 10:21 AM

7,074 posts, read 4,514,055 times
I have 2 small dogs that are only 5lbs and now walk them on side streets because it’s too dangerous to walk them in parks on trails because of all the idiots with their off leash dogs. Riley, I had a big high energy dog about 10 years ago and I would take him on a trail during the week that was always empty so I could let him off leash to run out his energy.

Old 01-02-2024, 10:53 AM

51,649 posts, read 25,796,708 times
One of our neighbors carries a stun gun that looks like a large flashlight. He says it works well when approached by off leash dogs.

Old 01-02-2024, 11:24 AM

26,639 posts, read 36,696,773 times
Another dog attack on one of the local trails last night. The woman with the dog ran off and can't be found, so the victim is having to have rabies shots.

Old 01-02-2024, 11:35 AM

6,575 posts, read 4,964,901 times
Entitlement and/or stupidity.

Entitlement tells them they can do what they want because why not? They live there/pay taxes/drove all this way/other people have their dogs off leash/I've always done it this way/nothing has ever happened before (I'm sure there are many more excuses)

Stupidity is when they truly have no clue that bad things can happen to their dog or other people while the dog is off leash

I bike, hike, run. I've been chased by off leash dogs for years. If it looks like a happy dog I will encourage the dog to run along with me just to be a pain to the owner. If it's growling, I'm praying. I now carry a stick and mace while hiking.

I once had someone yell out to me "Be careful he likes to chase moving things!" (then why exactly do you have your dog unleashed in a public area where there are moving things??).

If a dog likes to chase things and cannot be recalled well, it should not be off leash in a public area. End of discussion. What you do on your property is your business. You have a responsibility to your dog AND others when you're in a public area.

Even the best trained dog can go off the rails.

GotHere - I'd be interested in that stun gun!

Old 01-02-2024, 11:52 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,929,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yogacatt View Post
Why don't people leash their dogs?
How about Where and When? These are the first questions that come to my mind.
Quote:
I have a very small dog. I live in a very expensive neighborhood ...
In close proximity to others at all hours and all can be randomly present?
Market Values aside, this is the sort of residential situation that leash laws were intended for.
Most objections (I hold many) are based in what works well in so many other common situations.

Old 01-02-2024, 11:54 AM

1,051 posts, read 1,065,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_n_Tenn View Post
They can't herd cattle on a leash.
Ok... but I don't think the OP is walking her dog past a cattle ranch.

Suburban & urban dog owners need to keep their dogs on leashes for the safety of everyone!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets