Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2008, 07:31 PM

11,887 posts, read 36,925,657 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodpasture View Post
Don't forget the pentecostal heathens while you're at it.....them drunk naked folks dancing around bonfires and speaking in tongues to rattle snakes in north Tulsa are skeery.....
Great post right before Halloween GP...

Old 10-01-2008, 08:32 PM

2,919 posts, read 6,829,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodpasture View Post
Don't forget the pentecostal heathens while you're at it.....them drunk naked folks dancing around bonfires and speaking in tongues to rattle snakes in north Tulsa are skeery.....
Note to self: Don't tell GP about being raised a Pentecostal... http://bestsmileys.com/eek/3.gif (broken link)

Wonder if that's why I think snakes are cute?? http://bestsmileys.com/clueless/1.gif (broken link)

Old 10-01-2008, 08:38 PM

18,217 posts, read 25,861,807 times
It has been a while since I've been through Oklahoma but I have enjoyed the trips I made there and the friendships I have made there. I've been a music collector for over 4 decades and I would make trips twice a year to record/cd meets that SW promotions would have there in Wichita, Tulsa, Okie City, and Dallas. And while there I would rummage through thrift stores and indoor flea markets to see what I could find(Great indoor flea market in Blackwell). Someone once asked famed Navajo artist R.C. Gorman why he didn't paint more mountains, mesas, and deserts. He replied, " I do. But I prefer painting people. I find people much more interesting." I've felt that way about life for a long time. Speaking of Blackwell (actually Ponca City), I was cruising through there once several years ago. Stopped by Hastings cd and video and bought some tunes. Came out and antifreeze was leaking something fierce under the hood of the car. Got some antifreeze at a parts store nearby, and the fellow suggested who I should see. The mechanic dropped what he was doing (had broken down heaps all over his property). He dropped what he was doing, patched me up and got me going in a half hour or so, and charged me a pittance for it. He simply said that I was a long way from home and he was happy to help out.

Old 10-01-2008, 08:50 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,263,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schousse View Post
It has been said before and I will say it again ...... it is best to understand the posting styles of people before leaping to conclusions ......
I've been involved in message board/forums since the 80's and local bbs's and the modern version could benefit from one of the old rules. Since scarism is often easy to tell, you'd say (sarcasm mode on) comment (scarcasm mode off)

No misunderstandings that way for new people who don't know you and none of the ongoing arguments that follow them.

As for the state, I have been here a month, haven't even changed the prefix on the cell, but absolutely love it. I have met more of my neighbors in a few weeks than I did in socal in years. And everyone has been great people.

And as someone else said, I moved here because of what I saw on my visit and am very happy about that.

I know that doesn't make me an expert about this state but I already feel like its home.

Old 10-01-2008, 08:51 PM

18,217 posts, read 25,861,807 times
I don't doubt for a second there are a lot of Oklahomans who would like to leave because it is lacking in culture. The arts. Wine festivals. Theater. Like Karibear said, go to the big city. At this stage of my life, I want only 2 things-get a good nights sleep and not be %$*#ed with. I've stayed the night in several small towns in Oklahoma; Elk City, Braman, Ponca City, Enid (where my Dad was born), Ada, Clinton(cool Route 66 museum there), Paul's Valley, Ardmore, and other towns. Oklahoma is OK by me.

Old 10-01-2008, 09:59 PM

4,077 posts, read 5,608,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
I have met more of my neighbors in a few weeks than I did in socal in years. And everyone has been great people.
That my friend is called quality of life.

In Oklahoma my neighbors are my friends and family.

Did I mention how much I hate Oklahoma?

I think it sucks when your neighbors don't speak the same language as you and your family.
Just my personal experience.

Oh yeah, I'm also PROUD to say that I'm born and bred Californian, and even more PROUD to say that my offspring will be SOONER born and SOONER bred, and when die I die I'll be SOONER dead.

Did I mention how much Oklahoma sucks?

Last edited by nevergoingback; 10-01-2008 at 10:07 PM..

Old 10-01-2008, 10:35 PM

3 posts, read 19,400 times
Default You got to be Happy!

It doesn't really matter where you live. It's what's in your heart.

You can find the glass half empty or half full. That is your choice. Like anything else. If you can find the good in people, then you will find the good in the places that you live.

I have lived in Chicago, New Orleans and India. You have to find the good in everything you do, every place you go. Enjoy where you are and what you are doing, not what you don't have.

Twenty years from now don't be disappointed by the things that you didn't do.

I totally believe that life is to live everyday as it's your last.

If you go to a third world country, like India, you will come home and be proud of USA no matter what town or state that you are in!

Old 10-01-2008, 11:37 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,263,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nevergoingback View Post
That my friend is called quality of life.

In Oklahoma my neighbors are my friends and family.

Did I mention how much I hate Oklahoma?

I think it sucks when your neighbors don't speak the same language as you and your family.
Just my personal experience.

Oh yeah, I'm also PROUD to say that I'm born and bred Californian, and even more PROUD to say that my offspring will be SOONER born and SOONER bred, and when die I die I'll be SOONER dead.

Did I mention how much Oklahoma sucks?
Third generation California native here. I grew up hearing stories from my mom of growind up in North Hollywood, and spending all day playing on the permenant sets over the hill. Then Hollywood was an art town and the rest of the cities spread all over and indisqushable now in the valley and basin area *were* little towns. I grew up where my mom didn't have to drive me to school for my safety and didn't need to have me call when I walked to my friends house. Those time are long long gone.

Interesting that so many multi generation California natives are deserting the state for places where more of what used to be California still exist.

Did I forget to say that while it takes a bit of getting used to the lack of it has to be done yesterday is very refreshing and much more me. And the spiritual feel of the place is awesome. Had a few interesting visitors already And all that open space ... Makes me wish my offspring had been raised here.

Still operating on pacific daylight time though... my closest online friends are temporarily in that timezone, but when we forget what time it is the sunrise out my office window is beautiful.

When I go out this Thanksgiving to spend the holiday with family, I know I will be very glad to be going *home* to my new one.

My personal preference too.

Last edited by nightbird47; 10-01-2008 at 11:42 PM.. Reason: forgot something

Old 10-02-2008, 07:45 AM

4,391 posts, read 9,485,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
I doubt that most other people in this forum know when you're being true or merely sarcastic. AM I RIGHT FOLKS? There is so much bs on the Internet, you never know, anyway.

Anyway, it's my guess you wern't born in Oklahoma.
I seriously never know who is serious on here either....thats the internet for ya. If everyone likes OK just say you like it. Don't say it's really bad and horrible just to keep people out of the state if in fact you love it. Just my opinion. I like it here and I actually DO like the weather for real....no snow!

Old 10-02-2008, 09:13 AM

3,201 posts, read 3,858,478 times
Don't listen to any Texans when it comes to Oklahoma. They are jealous, because Oklahoma lives up more to the Texas image than does Texas. I grew up in Plano, Texas and now live in NW Arkansas. Ask a Colorodan why they hate Texans so much. I'm proud to be from Texas, but we can be arrogant. Oklahoma & Arkansas have two of the fastest growing economies in the US. Oklahoma CIty is a different city today than it was 10 years ago. Oklahoma is great!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma