Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2008, 08:00 AM

5,546 posts, read 9,515,600 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by calid00d View Post
Hi I've never really been there but in California I knew a guy from there he said most people want to get out ASAP. Coming to TX I have only heard negative things about Oklahoma, people say it's very intolerant to gays and backwards and there's nothing to do for culture/dining/entertainment. Does anyone like living there? What does it have going for it, say, over other midwestern states like Kansas or Missouri?
LOL, yeh sucks to be from Oklahoma....I mean, I just got indoor plumbin' last week!

Everyone hates it here, and reading the prejudiced nature of your former posts I don't think you would like it either.

Oh yeh, please don't call Oklahoma midwestern: Image:Census Regions and Divisions.PNG - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. Missouri & Kansas sure, but Oklahoma...nah, the culture is nothing like the midwest. I don't know what it is with California transplants thinking OK is the midwest. Tell someone from Ohio, Indiana, Iowa, Michigan, Wisconsin, etc. that OK is the midwest and you'll get laughed at.

Best of luck to you in your endeavors and I hope that you won't blindly believe what others tell you about Oklahoma, but you'll actually give it a try for yourself. Caveat: if you want to remain negative, then Austin is probably the right place for you.

Old 10-01-2008, 10:48 AM

498 posts, read 1,607,160 times
Quote:
Yeh but TX also has Marfa, El Paso, Dallas, and Houston which are all liberal tolerant places.
Liberal tolerant places? So you have to be liberal to be tolerant? At what point did we decide that being conservative equals intolerance? Did we all forget the true definition of liberal and conservative?

There are only two degrees of tolerance that can possibly exist: tolerance and intolerance. To tie attitudes into political terminology is exactly what has this country so deeply divided.

Oklahoma City, Edmond, Norman and Tulsa are all tolerant places. If you ran into the wrong people, or listened to the wrong people, that is not Oklahoma's fault.

We can all say Houston is tolerant. Reality check... Houston has both tolerant and intolerant people. I've met both. Population masses called cities are full of people that have different views. It is what it is. I am living in Houston right now and I can tell you first hand that Texas is no different from other places. Period. Moving to Texas was my first lesson between myth and reality when it comes to local culture.

Old 10-01-2008, 10:55 AM

4,078 posts, read 5,614,384 times
Quote:
In TX, I can be openly gay and hold hands with a member of the same sex, atheist, have tattoos, all in public, and nobody cares. Is there anywhere like that in OK?

You can't be this ignorant. I mean yeah, Texas and Oklahoma are sooooo much different.

Old 10-01-2008, 11:10 AM

973 posts, read 2,230,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by techienomad View Post
I hate this place. California, Texas, New Mexico, and Florida are the best places. Stay away from Oklahoma, it's the worst.
The mass of people that have moved out of those 4 states would disagree with you. There are plenty of different reasons people choose places to live. If there were a "best" place to live, everyone would be there. I'm personally moving out of Florida to head to the midwest, and I was born and raised here. I've lived in various parts of the country and I've traveled the world, and there are many fabulous reasons to live in the midwest. If you hate Oklahoma, move. I don't hate Florida, but I'm well aware that there are better places out there for me, and that's why I'm leaving. I want a family-oriented lifestyle where the majority of people are good-natured, laid-back, and down to earth. I want fair salaries for my career relative to housing expenses and a cost of living where my income goes much farther. Major cities across the midwest have a huge advantage over everywhere else in the country for those factors.

I'm not defending Oklahoma, as I've only traveled through the state, but you'll find people complaining about there home state in all 50 across these forums. Instead of complaining about the state and your life, do something about it. Move to a place that'll make you a happier person.

Old 10-01-2008, 12:47 PM

2,825 posts, read 7,549,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ucfjtm View Post
I'm not defending Oklahoma, as I've only traveled through the state, but you'll find people complaining about there home state in all 50 across these forums. Instead of complaining about the state and your life, do something about it. Move to a place that'll make you a happier person.
It has been said before and I will say it again ...... it is best to understand the posting styles of people before leaping to conclusions ......

Old 10-01-2008, 01:24 PM

1 posts, read 2,805 times
I was born in Wisconsin, moved to Oklahoma for high school and hated it, couldn't wait to get out. I moved to California for five years and only then realized how great Oklahoma was. I've been back for sixteen years, raising my family and I will probably retire here. If we're a little more backward than the rest of the country, oh well. From what I've seen that isn't a bad thing. There is plenty to do here if you want and its a great place to raise kids. I agree, if you don't like it here, get the heck out. We don't need ya. Come visit, you might like it.

Old 10-01-2008, 03:51 PM

778 posts, read 2,324,415 times
Quote:
Yeh but TX also has Marfa, El Paso, Dallas, and Houston which are all liberal tolerant places. There are weirdos everywhere - California is home to all the white supremacist groups - but the point is TX and Cal still have something POSITIVE to offer. My question is: what does OK have POSITIVE?

In TX, I can be openly gay and hold hands with a member of the same sex, atheist, have tattoos, all in public, and nobody cares. Is there anywhere like that in OK?
Give me an F'ing break bro

Without turning this into a political debate, I'm from Texas, and when Marfa (Marfa!), Houston, and El Paso become hotbeds of liberal politics, lets just say they will be having a snowstorm in hell on the same day.

You know and I know that that your trying to stir up trouble. Have you even been to Oklahoma? Ya know, you can do what you just listed ANYWHERE, because most people don't care what you chose to do. What does it matter what someone on the street that you'll never meet in your life again thinks about you? I'm a minority and I don't walk down the street thinking, "wow, I wonder if that random person over there thinks less of me because I'm a minority?" SHEESH, when did people get so touchy

Old 10-01-2008, 05:14 PM

330 posts, read 970,867 times
Let's clear up some of this stuff. Townie, I'm not going to fight with you because I don't even know you. I just know we don't agree on linguistics, tone, or comedic humor. Maybe I was wrong to throw in some sarcasm, that's just me - I like to joke around a bit.

On the serious side, I wouldn't have moved here unless I thought it was the right decision. I think this place is great and don't regret anything. However, I will say this place isn't for everyone. The people here are nice as long as you're doing what is expected of a good citizen. If you intend to cause trouble, then trouble you will find. I will leave the politics out of the debate because I hate politics and the scumbags surrounding it. Not all people in politics are scumbags, but there sure are a lot of them.

Old 10-01-2008, 06:58 PM

11,887 posts, read 36,942,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schousse View Post
OK Mister ..... you "forgot" to mention Pagans/Wiccans, musicians and other famous Okies
Oops! Add those to the list as well! My bad..

Old 10-01-2008, 07:08 PM

7,525 posts, read 16,995,342 times
Don't forget the pentecostal heathens while you're at it.....them drunk naked folks dancing around bonfires and speaking in tongues to rattle snakes in north Tulsa are skeery.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma