Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2014, 03:51 PM

374 posts, read 807,077 times

Advertisements

and more violent. I love Oklahoma, but now we must worry about tornadoes, huge hail and now earthquakes. Things are getting interesting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2014, 06:01 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,259,715 times
At least the San Andreas stayed in California. I was near its likely break point and every little shaker made you wonder if it was waking up.

Oklahoma might well have to upgrade its building standards though. Fortunately most houses are wood frame, which is one of the safer. And they may want to bring bridges up to earquake standard when they fix the ones ready to fall on their own. I remember how the street outside our house was closed for three months while the freeway overpass was made earthquake resistant after the freeway collapses.

Old 08-07-2014, 06:26 PM

7,776 posts, read 12,443,357 times
To say now we must worry about tornadoes is a bit of a stretch since they've been around as long as I've been alive and I'm sure much longer than that. Huge hail isn't new either. Back in the fifties, a weatherman on TV held up a hailstone the size of a baseball. Of course, when the hail is that big there are only a few of such size in the batch. A storm with all the stones huge isn't likely to happen. The intermittent ones are bad enough! Until an earthquake shakes enough to really get my attention, I'm not going to allocate any worry to their presence. Now, if random sink holes begin happening... that might be another story.

Out on I-40 a few years ago when a barge pulled a bridge down and the doomed folks driving on that highway went flying into the river below. That was a nightmare. Sometimes, the man made horrors are worse than those from nature and there's no time to be fearful.

Old 08-08-2014, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
At least the San Andreas stayed in California. I was near its likely break point and every little shaker made you wonder if it was waking up.

Oklahoma might well have to upgrade its building standards though. Fortunately most houses are wood frame, which is one of the safer. And they may want to bring bridges up to earquake standard when they fix the ones ready to fall on their own. I remember how the street outside our house was closed for three months while the freeway overpass was made earthquake resistant after the freeway collapses.
We now average more quakes than California and the experts are saying the big one is coming.

Old 08-08-2014, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi3 View Post
To say now we must worry about tornadoes is a bit of a stretch since they've been around as long as I've been alive and I'm sure much longer than that. Huge hail isn't new either. Back in the fifties, a weatherman on TV held up a hailstone the size of a baseball. Of course, when the hail is that big there are only a few of such size in the batch. A storm with all the stones huge isn't likely to happen. The intermittent ones are bad enough! Until an earthquake shakes enough to really get my attention, I'm not going to allocate any worry to their presence. Now, if random sink holes begin happening... that might be another story.

Out on I-40 a few years ago when a barge pulled a bridge down and the doomed folks driving on that highway went flying into the river below. That was a nightmare. Sometimes, the man made horrors are worse than those from nature and there's no time to be fearful.
?? I said we must now worry about tornadoes AND earthquakes.

Old 08-08-2014, 09:14 AM

432 posts, read 669,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnspecial View Post
We now average more quakes than California and the experts are saying the big one is coming.
Is this because of the New Madrid fault?

Old 08-08-2014, 11:13 AM

5,546 posts, read 9,506,351 times
Quote:
and more violent. I love Oklahoma, but now we must worry about tornadoes, huge hail and now earthquakes. Things are getting interesting.
I've heard for sometime that we've always had quakes, but they just were so minor we often did not feel them. The earthquakes in OKC the last several years have become more prevalent and they are definitely stronger---strong enough to rattle the little ol' shack I call home!

The wife wants to move, it ain't happening. Quakes, twisters, what the h*ll. This is Oklahoma, and maybe it will keep the riff-raff wishy-washy transplants out.

Old 08-08-2014, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted_Foster View Post
Is this because of the New Madrid fault?
We are situated on a fault that belongs to the New Madrid system. It runs just NE of OKC

Last edited by johnspecial; 08-08-2014 at 05:30 PM..

Old 08-08-2014, 05:17 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,259,715 times
Quote:
The area I lived in the Inland Empire out there was getting shakes big enough to get our attention every few months, and they were and are watching a spot on the San Anderas which is slipping and now or later *will* go with hugely bad results. And we were in the epicenter edge. Usually the little ones I mostly ignore, but that got on your nerves. They even did the state wide simulation with the massive effect to wake people up that they do mean it will be really bad.

I haven't felt most of the ones here, but there are faults and the one good part is the small quakes do relieve pressure on a larger fault making it less likely to go. But the state seriously needs to address train and road overpasses and bridges since those collapse easily in a quake unless strengthed against them. Everyone thought solid concrete was sufficent until the collapse of several freeway bridges and the loss of lives, afterwhich all of them were refitted with steel supports and springs so they could move without falling.

With all these quakes I wouldn't want to live in a house made of unreinforced brick. It doesn't take much to flattern one if the quake hits right. There is a reaso why the great vast majority of homes in California are wood frame too, since they are inheriantly resistant. Long Beach was a lesson in how not to build for quakes.

But anyone who hasn't followed the drill of fastening tall heavy things with a bolt to a wall stud, putting safety latches on cuppords so they don't dump out glass, and never putting something heavy over your bed or a place where you usually sit needs to. Most people injured in a quake get hit by things falling which shouldn't be there.

And if you can, get under a sturdy table. A door frame will help but a table is better, But keep in mind you may not have time if its the kind which doesn't give you nice rocking first but goes to business after the first jerk. The one where we were in the computer room was like that. I leaned over the keyboard, shoved the monitor back with my hands and hoped I could keep it there since there was no time to go to a better spot.

Old 08-08-2014, 10:55 PM

7,776 posts, read 12,443,357 times
Quote:
?? I said we must now worry about tornadoes AND earthquakes.
No, John, that's not what you said. Had you said it exactly like that, I would not have commented. It's no big deal. No offence intended. My apologies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma