Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-08-2014, 11:40 PM

120 posts, read 216,810 times

Advertisements

California is sharing the wealth. We feel that everyone should enjoy earthquakes too. No, seriously, as another poster stated, the Madrid System is responsible for mid-continental seismic activity as well as responsible for 3 large earthquakes in the 1800s. In fact, those earthquakes actually changed the course of the Mississippi. Earthquakes are scary and I hope The officials in the state take the activity seriously.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2014, 05:18 AM

17,804 posts, read 13,703,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnspecial View Post
We are situated on a fault that belongs to the New Madrid system. It runs just NE of OKC
The only active fault in Oklahoma is the Meers fault in SW Oklahoma. Apparently there are other small ones in Oklahoma. None of which are associated with the New Madrid fault which is along the Mississippi river in Missouri, Arkansas, Kentucky, Tennessee, and Illinois.

The earthquake activity around Jones appears to be associated with the excessive number of salt water reinjection wells in that area possibly interacting with a small fault. This is still an hypothesis but it is gaining traction even among those in the oil industry.

Quote:
Why is Oklahoma suddenly rivaling California for the most earthquakes per square mile? The researchers from USGS and the Oklahoma Geological Survey say that fracking activities may be contributing to the state’s new seismic reality.
“The recent earthquake rate changes are not due to typical, random fluctuations in natural seismicity rates,” the report stated.
While fracking itself has been linked to a handful of earthquakes, it is the injection of fracking wastewater deep into the earth that is believed to trigger most fracking-related tremors. The fluid increases underground pressure and acts as a lubricant on faults.
Quote:
Wastewater disposal wells, which hold millions of gallons of leftover fracking-related fluid, may be changing stress on existing faults and causing earthquakes spread out from the actual well.
http://www.bizjournals.com/columbus/...-30-miles.html

Last edited by eddie gein; 08-09-2014 at 05:29 AM..

Old 08-09-2014, 10:45 AM

374 posts, read 807,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
The only active fault in Oklahoma is the Meers fault in SW Oklahoma. Apparently there are other small ones in Oklahoma. None of which are associated with the New Madrid fault which is along the Mississippi river in Missouri, Arkansas, Kentucky, Tennessee, and Illinois.

The earthquake activity around Jones appears to be associated with the excessive number of salt water reinjection wells in that area possibly interacting with a small fault. This is still an hypothesis but it is gaining traction even among those in the oil industry.

Earthquakes from fracking disposal wells may be seen 30 miles away, seismologists say - Columbus - Columbus Business First
False. Once again I have caught you posting something false and promoting it as fact.

Also, there is not scientific proof that fracking or waste well injection is the cause of the recent wave.

Oklahoma has always experienced quakes and we have had them at this magnitude long before fracking.

Oklahoma is just a quake prone state.

Old 08-09-2014, 11:30 AM

14,539 posts, read 21,265,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilotprincess View Post
California is sharing the wealth. We feel that everyone should enjoy earthquakes too. No, seriously, as another poster stated, the Madrid System is responsible for mid-continental seismic activity as well as responsible for 3 large earthquakes in the 1800s. In fact, those earthquakes actually changed the course of the Mississippi. Earthquakes are scary and I hope The officials in the state take the activity seriously.
Well, some of the residents are. Groups have formed in a couple of areas demanding research and answers about the source and the risk.

I read somewhere that new madird and the san andreas are on either side of the large plate. If New Madrid caused a shift in the plate it could trigger the San Andreas, and movement on one of the other side is related.

Remember though that one of the most riksy faults in California is located right in the middle of Los Angeles, in a very densely packed area. It's old and the type which usually doesn't move until it does it in a big way, and its slip fall.

I really hope the state when it looks at bridge repair actually applies earthquake standards since not only would collapsed bridges cost lives, but hamper the ability to get emergency supplies and people around.

Old 08-09-2014, 01:12 PM

Quote:
False. Once again I have caught you posting something false and promoting it as fact.

Also, there is not scientific proof that fracking or waste well injection is the cause of the recent wave.

Oklahoma has always experienced quakes and we have had them at this magnitude long before fracking.

Oklahoma is just a quake prone state.
Your picture is of the BP methane bulge (although the New Madrid fault is shown in your picture just where I said it was in my post.. Find a link that associates Oklahoma with New Madrid and I'll stand corrected. The fault that runs through Jones is actually the Wilzetta fault.

And as for the waste water well injection causing earthquakes. I said it is an hypothesis that is gaining traction. It isn't established theory yet.

http://www.usgs.gov/newsroom/article...9#.U-Z3nVZtfJw

Quote:
Although wastewater injection has not yet been linked to large earthquakes (M6+), scientists cannot eliminate the possibility. It does appear that wastewater disposal induced the M5.3 Raton Basin, Colorado earthquake in 2011 as well as the M5.6 quake that struck Prague, Oklahoma in 2011, leading to a few injuries and damage to more than a dozen homes.
In a study published last year in the journal “Geology,” the strong earthquakes were unusual because “wastewater had been pumped into abandoned oil wells nearby for 17 years without incident,” according to The Earth Institude at Columbia University’s website.

Quote:
“In the study, researchers hypothesize that as wastewater replenished compartments once filled with oil, the pressure to keep the fluid going down had to be ratcheted up,” according to the website. As pressure built up, the Wilzetta fault jumped. “When you overpressure the fault, you reduce the stress that’s pinning the fault into place and that’s when earthquakes happen,” said study coauthor Heather Savage, a geophysicist at Columbia University’s Lamont-Doherty Earth Observatory, according to the Columbia University website.
Journal of Geophysical Research
Observations of static Coulomb stress triggering of the November 2011 M5.7 Oklahoma earthquake sequence

Danielle F. Sumy1,2,*, Elizabeth S. Cochran3, Katie M. Keranen4,5, Maya Wei6 andGeoffrey A. Abers7

Quote:
Abstract
In November 2011, a M5.0 earthquake occurred less than a day before a M5.7 earthquake near Prague, Oklahoma, which may have promoted failure of the mainshock and thousands of aftershocks along the Wilzetta fault, including a M5.0 aftershock. The M5.0 foreshock occurred in close proximity to active fluid injection wells; fluid injection can cause a buildup of pore fluid pressure, decrease the fault strength, and may induce earthquakes. Keranen et al. [2013] links the M5.0 foreshock with fluid injection, but the relationship between the foreshock and successive events has not been investigated. Here we examine the role of coseismic Coulomb stress transfer on earthquakes that follow the M5.0 foreshock, including the M5.7 mainshock. We resolve the static Coulomb stress change onto the focal mechanism nodal plane that is most consistent with the rupture geometry of the three M ≥ 5.0 earthquakes, as well as specified receiver fault planes that reflect the regional stress orientation. We find that Coulomb stress is increased, e.g., fault failure is promoted, on the nodal planes of ~60% of the events that have focal mechanism solutions, and more specifically, that the M5.0 foreshock promoted failure on the rupture plane of the M5.7 mainshock. We test our results over a range of effective coefficient of friction values. Hence, we argue that the M5.0 foreshock, induced by fluid injection, potentially triggered a cascading failure of earthquakes along the complex Wilzetta fault system.

I realize Johnny, that in the world where you live these geophysicists are part of that big (climate scientist/geophysicist) conspiracy against the oil and gas industry. But the above piece of writing is what you call a 'scientific journal article'. So for you to say there is no "proof" that saltwater injection is causing the quakes runs counter to these scientists finding

Last edited by eddie gein; 08-09-2014 at 01:56 PM.. Reason: ``

Old 08-09-2014, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
Your picture is of the BP methane bulge (although the New Madrid fault is shown in your picture just where I said it was in my post.. Find a link that associates Oklahoma with New Madrid and I'll stand corrected. The fault that runs through Jones is actually the Wilzetta fault.

And as for the waste water well injection causing earthquakes. I said it is an hypothesis that is gaining traction. It isn't established theory yet.

USGS Release: 2011 Oklahoma Induced Earthquake May Have Triggered Larger Quake (3/6/2014 5:00:00 PM)

In a study published last year in the journal “Geology,” the strong earthquakes were unusual because “wastewater had been pumped into abandoned oil wells nearby for 17 years without incident,” according to The Earth Institude at Columbia University’s website.

Journal of Geophysical Research
Observations of static Coulomb stress triggering of the November 2011 M5.7 Oklahoma earthquake sequence

Danielle F. Sumy1,2,*, Elizabeth S. Cochran3, Katie M. Keranen4,5, Maya Wei6 andGeoffrey A. Abers7

I realize Johnny, that in the world where you live these geophysicists are part of that big (climate scientist/geophysicist) conspiracy against the oil and gas industry. But the above piece of writing is what you call a 'scientific journal article'. So for you to say there is no "proof" that saltwater injection is causing the quakes runs counter to these scientists finding
False

the U.S. Federal Emergency Management Agency warned that a serious earthquake in the New Madrid Seismic Zone could result in "the highest economic losses due to a natural disaster in the United States," further predicting "widespread and catastrophic" damage across Alabama, Arkansas, Illinois, Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky, Mississippi, Missouri, Oklahoma, Texas, and particularly Tennessee, where a 7.7 magnitude quake or greater would cause damage to tens of thousands of structures affecting water distribution, transportation systems, and other vital infrastructure.[20] The earthquake is expected to also result in many thousands of fatalities, with more than 4,000 of the fatalities expected in Memphis alone.
New Madrid Seismic Zone - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

There is no known evidence that hydraulic fracturing causes earthquakes. Hydraulic fracturing is a safe and well-regulated technology that has been used for more than 60 years in more than one million wells. Critics who say that fracking caused recent Ohio seismic activity have no scientific evidence to support their claims. - See more at: http://energyanswered.org/questions/....5XhhmU0J.dpuf

There is no known evidence that hydraulic fracturing causes earthquakes. Hydraulic fracturing is a safe and well-regulated technology that has been used for more than 60 years in more than one million wells. Critics who say that fracking caused recent Ohio seismic activity have no scientific evidence to support their claims.
http://energyanswered.org/questions/...se-earthquakes

The data you have is nothing more than propaganda and left wing scare tactics.

An earthquake larger than any quake in Oklahoma occurred in AZ last month and where there is no fracking operations within 400 miles.

You don't have anything.

Old 08-10-2014, 04:55 AM

I swear.

You post a FEMA article (I BET you're are a big fan of FEMA) stating that damages from an earthquake could cause damage in Oklahoma, but, note that the article does NOT say that the New Madrid Seismic Zone is located IN Oklahoma. Because it's not………………………………………………. and of course you can't find a link stating that it is.

Quote:
The New Madrid Seismic Zone (NMSZ) is the most active seismic area in the United States east of the Rocky Mountains. The NMSZ is located in southeastern Missouri, northeastern Arkansas, western Tennessee, western Kentucky and southern Illinois. Southwestern Indiana and northwestern Mississippi are also close enough to receive significant shaking from large earthquakes occurring in the NMSZ.
As far as the rest of what you posted.

Quote:
The data you have is nothing more than propaganda and left wing scare tactics.
I had previously stated that "in your world" these scientific journal articles hold no weight because you believe that these scientists are out to bring down the oil and gas industry. So of course a refereed, peer reviewed article in a scientific journal by actual scientists representing the Geophysics community would be "nothing more than propaganda and left wing scare tactics".

As to the blogs you referenced. (I post a scientific journal article. You post from a blog sponsored by the oil and gas industry).

From that VERY SAME ARTICLE:

Quote:
First and foremost, seismic activity has not occurred near fracking wells, but in the vicinity of Class II wastewater disposal or injection wells - See more at: http://energyanswered.org/questions/....NmoQ6BRT.dpuf
Once again, the scientific community does not think fracking is causing the earthquakes (although there are issues with groundwater contamination) but the saltwater disposal wells causing increased pressure in small fault lines.

And finally, the Arizona earthquake? Fracking? Nobody is claiming that those earthquakes were caused by fracking. Nice strawquake.

Last edited by eddie gein; 08-10-2014 at 05:26 AM..

Old 08-12-2014, 05:25 PM

Sorry Gein, when you post propaganda instead of facts, then get your facts wrong, you lose all credibility.

Old 08-12-2014, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Sorry Gein, when you post propaganda instead of facts, then get your facts wrong, you lose all credibility.
Ok, I'll stick with the propagandistic scientific journal articles and you stick with the truthful right wing oil and gas blogs.

Old 08-13-2014, 08:02 AM

Negative Gein, Find me some definitive proof.

BTW. Did you feel the quakes last night? I felt a rumble around 4am.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma