Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2014, 03:38 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,263,135 times

Advertisements

Another big one. I live near a fraking site and probably don't feel the little ones since the ground vibrates a lot from the crap they are up to. I vote for sending it far out of town, maybe next to the headquarters of the oil companies. The last few small ones I just thought was them.

The commission investigating the source of the quakes is in the oil companies pockets so don't expect much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2014, 03:51 PM

2,462 posts, read 2,480,403 times
Nothing will be done unless there's a big one; 6.0 or greater. People like to **** and moan, but most are willing to put up with a little shaking as long as gasoline prices are down.

Old 10-07-2014, 04:19 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,641,969 times
But if a record breaker earthquake happens and it happens well out in the middle of nowhere, like Medford, I bet oil companies and legislators they have bought off still won't do anything about them. I believe it to be well established the earthquakes are caused by high pressure waste water injection wells. I suspect state government officials and oil companies are gambling the earthquakes won't get any worse. I also suspect the governor's mansion, or homes of oil company heads will have to be wrecked by an earthquake to really get anything done. Until then, they want you to take responsibility for the earthquakes by buying earthquake insurance.

I hope those 4.0 or more earthquakes stay out of the city limits of Stillwater.

Old 10-09-2014, 10:54 PM

10/9/14, about 11:35pm. Sitting at computer desk, here small roar, desk and chair lift up and drop. EARTHQUAKE. Slip fault type, and I wondered if after that it was going to start to shake, side to side. Too many of those from over 50 years near the san andreas and it sisters.

It was quick, but I'm betting its fairly strong. These are the kinds that start big ones, and you get the slip and fall and a pause, then everything shakes and jerks. The last one in California was like that, on the second floor of the apartment with the sea of mud under it thinking it was *good* to be on the top floor.

That's three good shakes in the Cushing area in two days or so. Casting evil looks at the fraking bunch nearby....

Old 09-03-2016, 10:56 AM

26,214 posts, read 49,052,722 times
Serious 5.6 earthquake in OK today, on the edge of a large field of fracking sites where wastewater was being injected deep into the earth.

Excerpt: "People in Kansas City and St. Louis, Missouri; Fayetteville, Arkansas; Des Moines, Iowa; and Norman, Oklahoma, all reported feeling the earthquake. Dallas TV station WFAA tweeted that the quake shook their studios, too."

I guess there's a downside to everything, eh.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 09-03-2016, 11:06 AM

12,716 posts, read 7,815,064 times
Another reason why if I didn't have to live in Oklahoma, I would have been out yesterday. It's hard enough dealing with tornado season every spring, but these earthquakes are getting stronger and more frequent. Makes me worry that earthquakes like this morning are going to become a normal thing with even stronger, more damaging ones at times.

Old 09-03-2016, 01:19 PM

I was born in California, and lived there until eight years ago. I remember the bad ones there, including the one on land which had mostly water and 'fill' under us. Some of them might have been stronger, and the slip faults start with a large jerk and then rolling, but in terms of sheer shaking power, I don't remember them feeling as bad. It woke me up with kitties cuddled under the blanket with me. They hunkered down and held on and I just was glad nothing could fall ON us. It paused once and started again. I felt very dizzy after. In terms of sheer power you feel, this one felt stronger.

And now we read it was next to a fraking site that the quake started. I'm already planning to move, and now have even more reasons to go. I would assume its going to be followed by aftershocks too, so don't relax yet.

If you wanted to sell, its likely you can plan on a bigger discount as long as they keep fraking away at all of us.

Old 09-03-2016, 01:29 PM

3,493 posts, read 3,204,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnspecial View Post
and more violent. I love Oklahoma, but now we must worry about tornadoes, huge hail and now earthquakes. Things are getting interesting.
Yup. And too bad. I like Oklahomans...very friendly people. I travel across the country twice a year, but always stop in Oklahoma just to visit with the friendly people you encounter there.

But a 5.6 is not fracking-induced. Not even close. No such thing. Not even in your wildest dreams. Mid-plate earthquakes as we all know (for sure) can be devastating events, and where they will occur is anybody's guess. Two (far as we can tell), mid-plate earthquakes - the New Madrid and the Charleston, SC - quakes were major events. The New Madrid was preceded, for years, by "foreshocks" even the local Indians talked about. I don't like the looks of this. My theory is that the Ozarks are far from done evolving. But the frequency of tremors there these days (and, the last 5.4 way back in 1952(?)) is troubling. And, no...you can't relate these to San Andreas fault type stuff, or even Helena, MT - it's a totally different process. Mid-plate, no mountains. Remember Tsiangshan (sp), China?

Last edited by TwinbrookNine; 09-03-2016 at 01:57 PM..

Old 09-03-2016, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
Another reason why if I didn't have to live in Oklahoma, I would have been out yesterday. It's hard enough dealing with tornado season every spring, but these earthquakes are getting stronger and more frequent. Makes me worry that earthquakes like this morning are going to become a normal thing with even stronger, more damaging ones at times.
I've already got a move planned in less than a year, but wish we could push it up after today. The smaller more local ones have done things like messed up the door. This one didn't even feel like the slip fault quakes I'm used to in socal. It felt like being stuck in jelly. I already know I won't get much for the house. This should drop it even further.

Having grown up with quakes, I have this automatic reaction. Little ones, shrug them off when the newbees get all wrapped up in it. Big ones, go into emergency mode immediately. But then, the houses have a quake standard in California. Here we have a lot of luck and hopefully good solid builds.

I hope the example of this occuring next to a major fraking area ACTUALLY matters to the suits who make the rules since it is beyond proof that they are reopening literally thousands of years of dormacy which could make the middle a very bad place to live.

But then, the oil mobsters will say but if we don't we can't operate and play the jobs card..... If I had any doubts about my plans to be outta here, they got smashed today.

Old 09-03-2016, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinbrookNine View Post
Yup. And too bad. I like Oklahomans...very friendly people. I travel across the country twice a year, but always stop in Oklahoma just to visit with the friendly people you encounter there.

But a 5.6 is not fracking-induced. Not even close. Mid-plate earthquakes as we all know (for sure) can be devastating events, and where they will occur is anybody's guess. New Madrid was preceded by "foreshocks" even the local Indians talked about. I don't like the looks of this. My theory is that the Ozarks are far from done evolving. But the frequency of tremors there these days (and, the last 5.4 way back in 1952(?)) is troubling. And, no...you can't relate these to San Andreas fault type stuff, or even Helena, MT - it's a totally different process.
There has been warnings that the injection wells, especially the ones which inject huge amounts of waste water, can reawaken old faults, even major ancient ones. Scientists have been saying this for a while. If New Madrid is waking up, then its time to stop NOW. Will this happen? Unlikely. Even with the local quakes, the oil companies didn't want to quit fraking until limits were officially made. Some still claim its not yet 'fully' proven.

Those small quakes in an area where non quake proof old homes dominate can do as bad or worse damage to an area as a really big one in an area with the best building codes. And the small fixes add up. But even in California, 5.5 quakes are an event.

What's criminal is the way the oil concerns keep saying its not really the cause, hadn't fully been proven, etc, and then note that without fraking the local economies will drop down to deep dodo and oil is the biggest contributer to the economy. And then faced with budgets of nothing or earthquakes, small towns and cities have a big bad choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma