Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2007, 12:42 PM

2,919 posts, read 6,841,204 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbird4848 View Post
STOP!!! If you are a healthy dieting, ht/wgt proportionate individual. In good moral standing, consider yourself to be sane, then DON'T READ THIS. Last warning!!!!!

Bachelor food 101. This here's some Good eatin':

Get some of that leftover bacon grease,

put about a tsp. in a bowl or saucer, naw make it 3 TBSP.

then pour a tad bit of ketchup right on top, not too much,

then daub it up with a piece of bread. Hmmmm-MM!

Now thet thar's some good eatin.
Quote:
Originally Posted by peggydavis View Post
Haha Redbird. I usually ignore all warnings. My DH is always keeping coffee cups of bacon grease in the fridge. Is that what he does when I'm not around?
That would have to be a Southern Born addiction... "Dippin' Bacon Grease" http://pages.prodigy.net/jimeez/_uimages/lmao.gif (broken link)

Actually sounds like something my son would try...
And he would always beg for the fried fat off the porkchops!

Quote:
I haven't had fried green tomatoes since I was a kid. I love them. My Mother rolled them in flour and fried them in "butter?". is there other ways to fix them?
I think the traditional southern method is to coat them in Cornmeal as well, but my Mom always used just flour too. Instead of butter she used Crisco or Oil (butter can brown too quickly and give them a burnt taste before the flour is crispy) They do have butter flavored Crisco now! might be a good substitute.

Just slice them about 1/2 inch thick, sprinkle lightly with salt, dip into an egg/milk mix, then in the flour and fry in a medium/hot pan until golden.

Hmmm... makes me want to fry up some zucchini squash!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2007, 03:30 PM

34,254 posts, read 20,580,321 times
You gals are gonna have one more laugh on my account. I just finished making fried okra (frozen kind with cornmeal) and I didn't want to get the stove messy, sooooo

being the okie chief chef that I am, I used the popcorn maker with Orville Redenbacher's popcorn oil!!!!!

You know the popcorn maker that has a huge bowl on top, then you just flip it when the popcorn is done?

Well, at least I didn't have to clean up the dang stove!!!
P.S. Had black eyed peas with 5 huge hamhocks in it. Ohhh man. I am good.

No applause is necessary. Just making man food.

(forgot to add, I had one of my homegrown jalapenos with it. aii chee wawa!!!)

Old 10-08-2007, 03:46 PM

633 posts, read 2,544,843 times
oh wow, I'm addicted to this thread now. I miss picking my own pecans and blackberries and peaches

I'm at work now, but when I can I will post my recipe for Peach cobbler, pumpkin pie and banana bread.

Every one tells me that I could probably make a living off selling my pumpkin pies, lol.

I laugh cause I'm in CA now and that may be the case here as hardly anyone cooks and makes homemade meals anymore here, but I tell them back where I'm from, we all cook this good

Can't wait to try some of these recipes out!

Old 10-08-2007, 04:07 PM

13,387 posts, read 19,472,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbird4848 View Post
You gals are gonna have one more laugh on my account. I just finished making fried okra (frozen kind with cornmeal) and I didn't want to get the stove messy, sooooo

being the okie chief chef that I am, I used the popcorn maker with Orville Redenbacher's popcorn oil!!!!!

You know the popcorn maker that has a huge bowl on top, then you just flip it when the popcorn is done?

Well, at least I didn't have to clean up the dang stove!!!
P.S. Had black eyed peas with 5 huge hamhocks in it. Ohhh man. I am good.

No applause is necessary. Just making man food.

(forgot to add, I had one of my homegrown jalapenos with it. aii chee wawa!!!)

Old 10-09-2007, 12:37 AM

402 posts, read 1,063,632 times
All these great recipes, I am going to make myself a cook book. I've never heard of Pineapple corn bread, I love both so I going to give it a try, and I'd love to have that peach cobbler recipe. My mom made the best pinto beans I have ever tryed. I wish I knew her secret because I just can't get the juice as thick as she did. I know she used mostly salt pork to season but sometimes she put in ham hocks. And we never got gas from her beans. (Yes we are from Oklahoma, transplanted today in NM via over 40 years in CA) If I could talk my Dan into moving to OK I would do it in a minute, but he refuses to live in Tornado land.

Old 10-09-2007, 04:14 AM

5,004 posts, read 15,375,074 times
That was clever Redbird.

When I was young I used to sop up grease with bread. I now admit it. I used to eat the fat off porkchops too.

Tell your dad to move to an area of OK where there is the lest tornadoes.

I made up my own cookbooks from recipes that I have collected since I was 21. I also have them on the computer, which makes it easy to cut and paste them here.

Old 10-09-2007, 04:26 AM

3,160 posts, read 10,638,365 times
Choctaw2, just tell him tornadoes are fun! I always heard about putting a small bottle of Coke into the beans to prevent gas, but I have never tried that. To get the juice thick, I just keep cooking them.

Every time I look in my freezer, I see ham hocks. I grow purple hull peas for my husband. He likes to shell them himself. He takes about 3 ham hocks like Redbird would and cooks them first, then adds the fresh peas. He likes salt pork a lot too. I see that in my fridge all the time. I don't want him to know how Redbird cooks fried okra. He likes to eat like Mkfarnam, but he is supposed to be on a low cholesterol diet. He is not really a fan of boneless skinless chicken breasts. At least he takes his pills.

Seahawksweetie, please post your pumpkin pie recipe! And your peach cobbler recipe. Maybe next year my peach trees will have peaches.

Lady Robyn, I love fried green tomatoes. Thanks for the tips. I might have some in a couple of weeks if the weather cooperates. Did you know if you pick the green tomatoes, the rest of the tomatoes will ripen faster?

Thanks for the good reading, everyone.

Old 10-09-2007, 09:13 AM

13,387 posts, read 19,472,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Choctaw2 View Post
All these great recipes, I am going to make myself a cook book. I've never heard of Pineapple corn bread, I love both so I going to give it a try, and I'd love to have that peach cobbler recipe. My mom made the best pinto beans I have ever tryed. I wish I knew her secret because I just can't get the juice as thick as she did. I know she used mostly salt pork to season but sometimes she put in ham hocks. And we never got gas from her beans. (Yes we are from Oklahoma, transplanted today in NM via over 40 years in CA) If I could talk my Dan into moving to OK I would do it in a minute, but he refuses to live in Tornado land.
( We're not in Kansas anymore)
All of the underground tornado shelters are just for decorational purposes

Last edited by mkfarnam; 10-09-2007 at 10:07 AM..

Old 10-09-2007, 09:57 AM

633 posts, read 2,544,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Choctaw2 View Post
I love my mom's pinto beans too. And I have the same problem, I can't seem to get the juice thick enough either. I'm gonna have to figure out her secret or special ingredient or something.

I promise I'll post the recipes in the next few days, hopefully tonight

Old 10-09-2007, 11:21 AM

11,887 posts, read 36,981,980 times
This is such a GREAT thread. Try putting a little baking soda in the beans while they are soaking to take out the gas effect. I always soak my pinto beans for at least five or six hours in water before putting them in the cooker. It also helps to clean the impurities off them, because every hour or two you can empty the bowl of the old dirty water (rinse the bowl out afterwards) and then run the beans under tap water to wash off any excess dirt and such (yes, even though they are packaged, they are still dirty). Put the beans back in the bowl of fresh water and repeat a few times. Don't forget to add a tablespoon of baking soda!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma