Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2007, 03:44 AM

5,004 posts, read 15,378,860 times

Advertisements

I didn't know this thread was still going. I have been so tired lately. Doing too much.

I love cast iron pans. I even have two saucepans that are cast iron. You can get them at hardware stores, sometimes thrift stores, flea markets, and garage sales. I went to a garage sale and found those aluminun lids that people in my grandmother's day used to cover frying pans with. 50 cents each. I love them even though they are all beat up.

I will search for some recipes now to post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2007, 03:46 AM

PRIZE WINNING APPLE PIE

FILLING

6 Granny Smith apples, peeled, sliced 1 T. unsalted butter
2/3 c. sugar 1/2 t. cinnamon
Water to cover Pinch of nutmeg
2 T. cornstarch

In a skillet, add apples, sugar, and 1/2 c. water. Bring to a simmer. Cover; cook 5 minutes. In a bowl, dissolve cornstarch in 1/4 c. water; stir into apple mixture. Bring to a boil. Cook, stirring occasionally, about 2 minutes. Remove from heat. Stir in butter, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Cool.

PASTRY

1/2 c. unsalted butter 1/3 c. brown sugar, packed
1 1/4 c. flour 1/2 c. chopped pecans

Mix and press into pie dish. Chill 10 minutes.

TOPPING

1/2 c. flour 1/2 c. chopped pecans
1/4 c. brown sugar, packed 1/2 t. cinnamon
1/4 t. ginger 1/2 t. cinnamon
1/4 c. unsalted butter, cold, cut up 1/8 t. mace

Mix to coarse crumbs. Set aside.

Spoon filling into pie shell; sprinkle with topping. Bake at 425 degrees for 10 minutes. Reduce heat to 375 degrees and bake 30 minutes more.

Old 10-06-2007, 03:46 AM

FABULOUS LEMON PIE

1 c. sugar
3 eggs, (separate yolks)
1/4 c. flour
2 T. butter
Salt to taste
1/4 c. lemon juice
1 c. water
2 t. grated lemon rind

Mix sugar, flour, and salt. Add 1/4 c. water; mix until smooth. Add the rest of the water, and bring the mixture to a boil, stirring constantly. Cook until thickened and the flour is cooked, about 5 to 8 minutes. Mix egg yolks. Add some of the hot mixture to them. Add the heated yolks to the sugar/flour/ water mixture. Cook 2 or 3 minutes. Remove from heat. Add the lemon juice, rind, and butter; mix well. Cool. Place in baked and cooled shell. Whisk whites until stiff. Add 1 or 2 tbsp sugar and a few drops of vanilla. Whisk well until stiff peaks form. Spread on the lemon filling. Bake at 300 degrees until browned, about 25 minutes.

Last edited by Mattie Jo; 10-06-2007 at 11:57 AM..

Old 10-06-2007, 04:02 AM

SOUTHERN SWEET POTATO PECAN PIE

CRUST

3 T. unsalted butter, cut up 2 T. sugar
1/8 t. salt 1/2 of egg (reserve half)
2 T. cold milk 1 c. flour

In a bowl, add all ingredients. Mix with hands until crumbly. Press into a pie plate.

SWEET POTATO FILLING

2 to 3 sweet potatoes, to make 1 c. mashed 1/4 c. light brown sugar, packed
1 T. unsalted butter 1 T. vanilla
1/8 t. salt 1/4 t. cinnamon
1/8 t. allspice 1/8 t. nutmeg

In a bowl, mix all ingredients together. Mix for 2 to 3 minutes.

PECAN PIE SYRUP

3/4 c. sugar 3/4 c. dark corn syrup
2 eggs 1 1/2 T. unsalted butter
Pinch cinnamon 3/4 c. pecan halves

In a bowl, add all ingredients, except pecans. Mix for 1 minute. Fold in pecans.

CHANTILLY CREAM

2/3 c. cream 1/4 c. sugar
1 t. brandy 2 T. sour cream
1 t. Grand Marnier 1 t. vanilla

In a small bowl, combine cream, brandy, and Grand Marnier. Mix 1 minute. Add sugar, sour cream, and vanilla. Whisk to soft peaks

ASSEMBLE

Spoon filling into the pie shell. Pour syrup on top. Bake at 375 degrees for 1 hour and 45 minutes or until knife inserted in the middle comes out clean. Serve with Chantilly Cream.

Comment: This is the most wonderful pie recipe. Great for Thanksgiving dinner.

THOSE WERE MY THREE FAVORITE PIE RECIPES.

Old 10-06-2007, 04:03 AM

AMERICANA PUMPKIN PIE

Pastry for 1 (9-inch) pie crust 1/2 t. salt
2 c. pumpkin, cooked 1/4 c. brandy
2/3 c. brown sugar, packed 3/4 c. milk
2 t. cinnamon 2 eggs
1/2 t. ginger 1 c. heavy cream

In a bowl, combine pumpkin, sugar, cinnamon, cinnamon, ginger, and salt. Mix in brandy, milk, eggs, and cream. Pour into an unbaked pie shell. Bake at 325 degrees for 1 hour, or until knife inserted in the middle comes out clean. Cool.

Comment: I received this recipe from my college history class professor. I have made it often because it is really light and delicious.

OH, THIS ONE IS REALLY GOOD. I PREFER IT OVER ANY OTHER PUMPKIN PIE.

Old 10-06-2007, 04:04 AM

Yes, I have a few pecan trees in my own yard. I have given one away that was a baby. I understand we can also grow almonds here, but the type that is good and will take this cold is non pareil almond.

Old 10-06-2007, 04:15 AM

This first recipe was found in a newspaper. I loved it, and then when I married my husband created a new one from it, and I love it even better. Makes great sandwiches the following days too.

SPICED MEAT LOAF

2 lb. ground beef
1 c. chopped onion
1 T. oil
1/8 t. nutmeg
1 c. chopped green bell pepper
Salt and pepper to taste
1 t. minced garlic
1 t. cumin
1 c. diced celery
2 t. Worcestershire sauce
1/8 t. Tabasco sauce
1/2 c. fresh bread crumbs
1 T. Dijon mustard
1 egg, whisked

Sauté in oil, bell pepper, onion, and garlic. Add remaining ingredients; mix well with hands. Pat into a loaf pan. Bake at 400 degrees for 50 minutes.

Comment: This is delicious.

SOUTHWESTERN MEAT LOAF

2 lb. ground round
2 to 3 slices bread
1 medium bell pepper, chopped
Salt and pepper to taste
1 medium onion, chopped
1/2 to 1 T. cumin
1 T. mustard
2 t. Worcestershire sauce
2 cloves garlic, chopped
2 to 3 Jalapenos, with seeds, chopped, optional
1 egg, whisked
1/2 c. fresh salsa, optional

Place all ingredients in a large bowl and mix with hands until uniform. Place into a loaf pan. Bake at 400 degrees for 50 minutes.

This is the one we make now.

Old 10-06-2007, 06:15 AM

3,160 posts, read 10,641,512 times
Great recipes, Jessaka.

I usually look up recipes, then I don't follow them as I cook. I made some good jam a couple of weeks ago. I looked at a recipe on the Garden Web Harvest Forum.

I quart package frozen peaches
2 cans peaches with natural juice
10 or 15 habanero pepper with seeds and white stuff removed, sliced thin (wear latex gloves!!!!!!)
1/2 cup lime juice
2 oranges, skin the rinds, remove most white stuff, slice thin like for marmalade, seed and chop fruit
4 cups sugar
3/4 cup honey
1/4 teaspoon almond extract
2 oz tequila
Maybe 1 pkg pectin

Combine peaches, honey and sugar in a heavy pot, stir, and let sit for 45 minutes while chopping habaneros and oranges. After slicing the habaneos, soak them in the lime juice.
Put habaneros and oranges with water to cover in another pot. Bring to boil and simmer about 10 minutes. Add habs and oranges to peach mixture. Bring to boil and cook, stirring often, for about 30 minutes.

I didn't have a candy thermometer, so I was testing the liquid until it would come off in a sheet instead of drops. It didn't think it would set, so I added a package of pectin.

If you have a candy thermometer, cook until it reaches 221 degrees. Remove from heat. Add almond extract and tequila. Quickly spoon into hot sterilized jelly jars. Leave about 1/4 inch space at the top. Wipe the rims, put sterilized lids and rings on the jars, and put in water bath for 10 minutes. Remove and retighten rings. It should set in a few days. Makes about 10 1/2 pint jars, or 5 pints.

We ate the first jar with cream cheese and crackers at a family dinner. It was really a hit. I think it would be good with ice cream. It is a little hot, but not that bad.

Old 10-06-2007, 07:19 AM

11,887 posts, read 36,992,117 times
Yum, yum jessaka and peggy. And just in time for the Holiday season around the corner..

Old 10-06-2007, 10:06 AM

1,586 posts, read 6,769,960 times
Man that looks like a lot of work and creativity. No wonder women are so darn smart.
I will have to git my wife to try to make sum of these. I should have looked over this thread a long time ago!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma