Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2007, 11:59 AM

5,004 posts, read 15,346,950 times

Advertisements

that jam recjipe looks great with tequila, hot peppers, and almond extract.

That bean recipe is the one they use to make beans for the Indian tacos. Then they make fry bread. Top it will the beans, tomato, lettuce, whatever, cheese, and yum, yum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2007, 07:19 PM

2,919 posts, read 6,826,984 times
Peggy, Good find on that recipe! Very similar to how I make mine with a couple of differences...

I add 1-1/2 cans of water to the soup and add the dry noodles (1 or 2 handfuls) into the same pan, cover and simmer about 15-29 min. The noodles get soooo much more flavor that way. I also use less sour cream (Mr. doesn't like it ) and add it at the VERY last after the heat is off so it doesn't 'break'.

To give it a 'beefier' flavor sprinkle a half package of "Au Jus Gravy Mix" before adding the noodles... it doesn't thicken too much but adds a wonderful *punch* of beefy flavor. Oh! and switch the Garlic salt to garlic powder... the Au Jus is salty enough.

BTW I am coming to your house for Beans and Cornbread...

Like redbird4848 I rarely use recipes or measure unless baking...

Frog legs are YUMMY!!

Old 10-06-2007, 07:38 PM

My cast iron grill pan looks like this:

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h61/jimeezlady/castirongrillpan.jpg (broken link)

If you use a VERY hot pan and turn the steaks 1/4 turn part way through cooking you get the same diamond pattern the steakhouses do. But make sure you have a REALLY good exhaust fan because it smokes ALOT!

Last night's supper...
Pan Seared rib-eyes marinated in a bit of liquid smoke, a bit of JD whiskey, sprinkle of garlic powder, and seasoned tenderizer... Add them to a HOT skillet and grind fresh black pepper after you turn them.

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h61/jimeezlady/ribeyes.jpg (broken link)

We like ours medium rare, but if you want them well done turn down the heat after turning and cook for an additional 10-15 minutes or until the juices are no longer pink.

Old 10-06-2007, 08:02 PM

Ok... I'm going to TRY and explain how to make what we always called "Okie Enchiladas" in our family They aren't like traditional Mexican enchiladas but they are good!

You will need:

1 lb (or more) hamburger meat
1 can large black olives (Sliced or smashed ) keep a few aside for garnish
2-3 cups shredded cheddar cheese
1 can refried beans (optional)
1 Large can LAS PALMAS Enchilada sauce (mild, med. or hot)
1 pkg Flour Tortillas (1 1/2 pounds of hamburger will usually make 10 large enchiladas)
Parmesan Cheese

Salt, Pepper, and Garlic powder...

Brown Hamburger in a skillet adding seasonings to taste. Add chopped olives to the pan when almost done. Pour about 1/4 of the enchilada sauce into the hamburger mix. And stir well.

Assemble as follows:

1 spoonful of beans (if used) spread on tortilla, 1 large spoonful of meat mixture, and a large handful of cheese... roll as you would for a burrito and place in 13x9in baking dish. Repeat until pan is full or meat mixture is gone. (These are fat enchiladas!)

Pour remainder of Sauce evenly over enchiladas and add any leftover cheese and olives. Sprinkle liberally with Parmesan (according to your own taste) Cover pan with foil and bake in center of oven.

350F for 30-40 min

The Mr. likes his straight, but the kids and I always smothered them in Sour Cream If you want a little *punch* throw some salsa or hot sauce into the meat mixture.

All of the ingredients are flexible, if you only want to make a few use less meat and cheese and buy the smaller can of sauce... if you are serving a crowd, just double everything!

Old 10-07-2007, 05:54 AM

HERB ROASTED TURKEY

1 (12 to 16) lb. turkey
1 t. dried oregano
Bread stuffing
1/2 c. butter
Salt and pepper to taste
1 (16 oz.) pkg. fresh cranberries, for garnish
2 t. each: dried sage and thyme
12 sprigs fresh rosemary, for garnish

Mix stuffing according to directions on package, using enough bread stuffing for this size of turkey. Remove giblets from turkey; reserve for gravy. Rinse turkey inside and out. Pat dry with paper towels. Stuff both cavities with stuffing. Close both ends with trussing skewers and string. Place the turkey, breast side up, on a rack in a large roasting pan. Insert meat thermometer into the thickest part of the turkey without touching the bone. Sprinkle with salt, pepper, sage, thyme, and oregano. Melt butter in a saucepan and soak at 12-inch square double layer cheesecloth in it. Gently lay the cheesecloth over the breast. Place turkey a 350-degree oven; roast about 20 minutes per pound, or 4 to 4 1/2 hours, basting every 30 minutes with pan juices. Remove cheesecloth after 3 hours roasting. The turkey is done when the meat thermometer registers 180 degrees, or when the juices are clear when the thigh is pricked with a meat fork. (If any part of the turkey begins to get too brown during the roasting, cover loosely with foil.) Remove turkey to a warm platter, cover loosely with foil. Let rest 20 to 30 minutes before carving.

OLD FASHIONED GIBLET GRAVY

Giblets from turkey 1 crushed garlic clove
1/2 t. salt 1/4 c. fat skimmed from roasting pan
Pepper to taste drippings
1/4 c. flour Pan drippings and chicken broth*

While the turkey is roasting, place giblets, garlic, and salt in a saucepan with water to cover. Place over medium heat; simmer 20 minutes. Remove giblets; discard the rest. Finely chop giblets, cover, store in refrigerator until turkey is done. When the turkey is done, skim off fat from the roasting pan. Place 1/4 c. fat in a saucepan over medium heat; discard remaining fat. Whisk in flour. Cook, whisking constantly until the flour is absorbed and a thick paste forms. Scrape bottom of the roasting pan to remove any browned bits; stir them into the pan drippings. Pour the pan drippings into a measuring cup; add enough chicken broth* to make 2 c. Whisk the broth mixture into the flour/fat mixture until smooth. Add the stored giblets; simmer until gravy thickens, about 7 minutes.

Old 10-07-2007, 05:55 AM

This only serves two so you will have to adjust:

WISCONSIN ROAST DUCK
WITH ORANGE SAUCE

1 (4 to 5 lb.) duck, Wisconsin C&D brand
Salt, pepper & poultry seasoning
1 orange, sliced into quarters

Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Wash duck in cold water and remove excess fat. Season the inside cavity and the outside of duck with salt, pepper and poultry seasoning. Place orange quarters in side duck and place in a shallow roasting pan. Cook in hot oven for 30 minutes; then remove duck from oven and prick breast with heavy tine kitchen fork to drain grease. Turn oven down to 300 degrees and return duck to oven for 1 hour or 1 hour and 15 minutes until tender.

ORANGE SAUCE

1/2 c. sugar
1 bay leaf
1 T. wine vinegar
1/2 t. thyme leaves
Juice of 2 oranges Grated rind of 1 orange
Salt & pepper to taste
1/2 c. Grand Marnier

In a heavy saucepan, combine sugar and wine vinegar. Cook the mixture over a medium flame until sugar melts and begins to caramelize. Add the juice of 2 oranges, Grand Marnier and grated orange rind. Stir well and cook for 5 minutes. Add 1/4 cup orange peel cut into julienne strip, cooked in a little water for 5 minutes and drained. Correct the seasonings and pour over the duckling on a serving platter. Serves 2.

Old 10-07-2007, 07:10 AM

3,160 posts, read 10,617,212 times
Lady Robyn and Jessaka, you two are making me so hungry (looks in freezer, what to cook?)

I think I will make that southwestern meatloaf today. LadyRobyn, I am so jealous of your grill pan! Thanks for the instructions, if I find one I will know how to use it.

Last edited by peggydavis; 10-07-2007 at 07:18 AM..

Old 10-07-2007, 12:42 PM

Robyn and others recipes make me hungry too. i will look for a grilled cast iron pan for you on amazon. lol.

Old 10-07-2007, 12:43 PM

Amazon.com: cast iron grill pan

There you go, a grill pan.

Old 10-07-2007, 08:53 PM

3,160 posts, read 10,617,212 times
Gee, Jessaka, thank you. That was so sweet of you. I'll be cookin with gas now!

My DH said to tell you the meatloaf was delicious. He was like, wow, what did you do different? It was the southwest meatloaf.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma