Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-07-2022, 07:08 AM

30 posts, read 30,028 times

Advertisements

Which part of Oklahoma has more bearable summers (if there is even much of a difference)?

By Eastern Oklahoma I mean the Tulsa area and by Western Oklahoma I mean anything west of the OKC metro.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2022, 07:15 AM

92 posts, read 27,910 times
It’s honestly very similar. Some mid-summer days are hotter down toward Altus, but in general it’s all pretty much a normal, hot summer.
You will see cooler temps in far southeast OK some days. My parents are near Talihina and just because of elevation- they get some cooler temps.

Old 03-07-2022, 09:48 AM

17,778 posts, read 13,673,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenieL43 View Post
It’s honestly very similar. Some mid-summer days are hotter down toward Altus, but in general it’s all pretty much a normal, hot summer.
You will see cooler temps in far southeast OK some days. My parents are near Talihina and just because of elevation- they get some cooler temps.
I don't know where your parents live but SE Oklahoma isn't at elevation other than at the top of the mountains, and nobody lives up there.

The main difference between eastern Oklahoma and western is that the humidity is way lower in western Oklahoma when it gets really hot. And the temps tend to run higher in western Oklahoma as a rule during summer.

The one place that IS at elevation and IS significantly drier in the summer is the panhandle. While it still gets really hot it is more comfortable out there than the rest of the state.

Bottom line is if the OP wants milder summers he needs to get up to about 5000 feet in Colorado or New Mexico.

Old 03-07-2022, 11:56 AM

30 posts, read 30,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
I don't know where your parents live but SE Oklahoma isn't at elevation other than at the top of the mountains, and nobody lives up there.

The main difference between eastern Oklahoma and western is that the humidity is way lower in western Oklahoma when it gets really hot. And the temps tend to run higher in western Oklahoma as a rule during summer.

The one place that IS at elevation and IS significantly drier in the summer is the panhandle. While it still gets really hot it is more comfortable out there than the rest of the state.

Bottom line is if the OP wants milder summers he needs to get up to about 5000 feet in Colorado or New Mexico.
Colorado is too crowded and New Mexico is... well... New Mexico. What about Eastern Wyoming, Eastern Montana, and Western North Dakota?

Old 03-07-2022, 02:31 PM

1,252 posts, read 1,103,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprucey Meatball View Post
Colorado is too crowded and New Mexico is... well... New Mexico. What about Eastern Wyoming, Eastern Montana, and Western North Dakota?
Look in and post on those state threads for detailed info. Wyoming and Montana will definitely have lower humidity that anywhere in Oklahoma. It will still get around 100F for a few days each summer, but likely teens for humidity. Winters will be the extreme in those places. Look at the threads for weather info for Casper, WY and Miles City, MT for examples. I haven't spent any significant time in North Dakota.

Old 03-07-2022, 04:31 PM

17,778 posts, read 13,673,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprucey Meatball View Post
There are places in Colorado on the high plains and edges of the mountains that aren't crowded. Places like Lajunta, Trinidad, Walsenburg, Alamosa, Montrose...

And new Mexico has some nice places as well.

Raton, NM is a small town that is at a really nice elevation. Santa Rosa are going to have decent summer nights. Las Vegas is going to be nice in the summer but it will be cold in the winter.

There is no way in hell I'd choose to live in Eastern Montana, Western North Dakota or Eastern Wyoming compared to the choices in Colorado and New Mexico. The Black Hills area are nice in South Dakota.

Alpine/Marfa/Ft Davis Texas would work for you if you don't mind living hours from anywhere. I've actually lived there and weather wise it is perfect for what you want.

Old 03-07-2022, 06:55 PM

24,488 posts, read 10,815,620 times
Las Cruzes NM might work for OP.

Old 03-09-2022, 09:04 AM

30,141 posts, read 11,770,405 times
I would take eastern new Mexioo over anywhere in Montana or Wyoming. Mountainair is nice, Vaughn is ok. At 6 to 7 000ft elevation summers are perfect and winters are probably better than OKC. And no tornado risk.

Old 03-09-2022, 11:38 AM

1,252 posts, read 1,103,672 times
OP - Is there some reason you need to be in Oklahoma??

I lived in Midwest City, OK, and also Albuquerque, NM for many years. Both have their plusses and minuses, but for me high heat and humidity all spring and summer long were reasons to leave Oklahoma, and I was happy to only visit a couple more times since. We planned on retiring and living outside of Albuquerque (Cedar Crest, Sandia Park, over to Edgewood). Then our truck was stolen, recovered and stolen a second time in less than two months, and my wife said NO More NM!!!

Crime in the OKC metro wasn't a whole lot better. Lots of property crime of convenience. Had the garage door open while working in the back yard, and golf clubs and lawnmower were stolen out of the garage by drive-by thieves. Shoplifting gangs were common and hitting all stores in town (i worked part-time at Target).

But, outside of Albuquerque living up HWY 12 in the Sandia Mts would be a great place to settle, or off of Frost Road into Edgewood. Beautiful weather, low humidity, a bit of snow, lots of sun, not too much wind (especially compared to Montana or Wyoming). It's still mostly desert with some to a lot of mostly juniper and pinion-pine trees, but I'd recommend the area if you are looking for an environment like that.

Last edited by ejisme; 03-09-2022 at 11:54 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma