Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2007, 12:39 PM

3,160 posts, read 10,639,425 times

Advertisements

Lady Robyn I just wish I had one of those old frying pans! I bought a new one but I guess I need to season it more!???

Ectanner, yes we do grow pecans. The late freeze got many pecans north of I-40, but in the southern part of the state there is a bumper crop this year. Pralines and pecan pie all around, all made with Splenda and low cholesterol margarine of course!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2007, 01:22 PM

13,387 posts, read 19,474,474 times
Thanks Girls,
When I lived in Calfornia, my wife could cook anything. I became widowed last year and moved to Duncan Oklahoma 4 mo's ago.
I'm so sick of microwave dinners so last night I prepared my first meal since I moved out here, "steak & potatoes'. I know,,,,,,,, who can't make that.
So now I've decided to start doing my own cooking.
These recipes will help. Maybe i can learn how to cook,,,,,,,even Ok style
I could live off of potatoes fix every way possible.

I think I get the pan too hot when I fix steak.

Old 10-04-2007, 06:12 PM

2,919 posts, read 6,841,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peggydavis View Post
Lady Robyn I just wish I had one of those old frying pans! I bought a new one but I guess I need to season it more!???
If food is sticking or if the cooking surface still feels rough then you probably need to season it more. Everyone has a different opinion/method for cleaning and seasoning!

I found this page to be pretty close to how I give mine a little *booster* shot once in awhile (usually after I have been dumb and let a bit of rust get started )

How to season a cast iron pan | eHow.com

450-500F sounds a bit high to me, and might get pretty smokey... you can easily use 350-400F and get good results (without having the fire dept. show up )

I'm one of those people that never uses soap to clean mine unless I have cooked something that wasn't fried. If you use soap you'll need to season it WAY more often. I just use Salt to scrub and VERY hot water to rinse. For me the dishwasher is a BIG no-no... it will strip the seasoning right off and you're back to square one.

I am very lucky, my Tater Pan is over 25 years old and my smaller "Fried Egg Pan" is somewhere over 45 years old. Both have cooking surfaces that are smooth as a baby's... well you know. I'd also recommend using it only to fry greasy things for awhile until it gets the 'new' worn off. (Sausage, Bacon and such)

mkfarnam...
Quote:
I think I get the pan too hot when I fix steak.
No such thing!! You WANT to have the pan VERY hot to start and then lower the heat a bit to cook it the way you like it. If you do happen to use cast iron, sear it well on both sides and pop it into a hot oven to 'finish'.

I also have a cast iron grill pan that makes steaks taste just like restaurant style... but I can only use it on windy days out here, and I still have to watch for the fire dept! But the results are sooo worth it.

I'd be more than willing to share a few 'recipes' with a fellow Duncanite (and California escapee ) Anything in particular as a favorite? (Besides potatoes )

Which by the way, if you want GREAT BIG baking potatoes, head to Homeland and look for the "loose potato" bin. They are a meal by themselves.

Fair warning though... if are looking for "Healthy Cooking" you might need to tweak my recipes. I don't "do" healthy cooking, I cook like my Gramma and Mom taught me.

Old 10-05-2007, 04:52 AM

11,887 posts, read 36,985,464 times
I just saw this thread and I will most definitely be back to visit when I have more time! Thanks!

Old 10-05-2007, 06:29 AM

34,254 posts, read 20,583,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peggydavis View Post

Ectanner, yes we do grow pecans. The late freeze got many pecans north of I-40, but in the southern part of the state there is a bumper crop this year. Pralines and pecan pie all around, all made with Splenda and low cholesterol margarine of course!
Peg,

There's a huge open field garage sale on the west side of Holdenville. You might find some good black skillet there. I always keep my eye out for cast iron skillets. I even buy the tiny baby cast iron skillets.

Old 10-05-2007, 08:04 AM

Thanks for the tips everyone. I like that steak idea, if I could find a cast iron grill, or is it part of your stove? I need to work on my big cast iron fry pan, my little one works pretty well, and I need to go to that garage sale and get some medium pans. The problem with garage sales is I get too much stuff.

I can't resist...

My daughter came to visit a few weeks ago. She requested I fix foods from her childhood.

If you want to make good cornbread, use a little cast iron pan. I preheat my pan before putting the batter in, so the cornbread gets nice and brown. I use sweet corn bread mix from the store.

I made these pinto beans 2 days before, so we had eaten a lot of them. Soak them overnight, cook on low heat for about 12 hours, add salt, pepper, and as much ham as you can afford. Better the next day!

Salmon patties. We ate a lot of those too. One can of salmon. Take out the yukkie skin but leave the bones (good source of calcium). Crush up one pack of saltine crackers. Add crushed crackers and one beaten egg to salmon, mix well and form into patties. These are low fat and heart healthy, I used Pam cooking spray and cooked them covered over medium heat about 30-40 minutes. You can also bake them in the oven. They are really good fried in oil (yum, bacon grease), but much more fattening that way. Serve with catsup and horseradish.

Old 10-05-2007, 03:04 PM

Quote:
mkfarnam...

No such thing!! You WANT to have the pan VERY hot to start and then lower the heat a bit to cook it the way you like it. If you do happen to use cast iron, sear it well on both sides and pop it into a hot oven to 'finish'.

I also have a cast iron grill pan that makes steaks taste just like restaurant style... but I can only use it on windy days out here, and I still have to watch for the fire dept! But the results are sooo worth it.

I'd be more than willing to share a few 'recipes' with a fellow Duncanite (and California escapee ) Anything in particular as a favorite? (Besides potatoes )

Which by the way, if you want GREAT BIG baking potatoes, head to Homeland and look for the "loose potato" bin. They are a meal by themselves.

Fair warning though... if are looking for "Healthy Cooking" you might need to tweak my recipes. I don't "do" healthy cooking, I cook like my Gramma and Mom taught me.
Quote:
Anything in particular as a favorite?
I can't think of the name,oh yes, "beef strogenoff "? but I remember she used: egg noodles, hamburger and cream of mushroom soup. I just don't remember how she went about making it.

Never had to watch my weight.

I was born and raised on a Dairy Farm so Country Cooking something is not new to me.

Old 10-05-2007, 04:04 PM

Here is a quick and easy recipe for beef stroganoff, mkfarnam. If you have any questions, just ask.

Recipe By : Southern Living
Serving Size : 4
  • 1 Pound ground beef (Get lean ground beef so you don't have to drain it so much)
  • 1 medium Onion -- chopped (I sometimes use dried minced onions instead of chopped onions - you find them with the spices in the store.)
  • 2 tablespoons All-purpose flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon Garlic salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon Pepper
  • 4 ounces Can sliced mushrooms
  • 10 3/4 ounces Can Cream of Mushroom soup
  • Undiluted
  • 8 ounces Sour cream
  • Hot cooked noodles
Cook ground beef and onion in a large skillet until meat is browned, stirring to crumble meat; drain.
Stir in flour and next 3 ingredients; cook and stir 1 minute. Stir in soup. Simmer 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add sour cream, and heat thoroughly.
Serve over noodles. Yield: 4 servings.

Old 10-05-2007, 09:01 PM

Thank You
I'm able to ceate my own cookbook now.

Old 10-05-2007, 11:07 PM

34,254 posts, read 20,583,005 times
My dad said they used to throw the tortoise hard shell and all into the oven and when they stop scratching, they are done!

My grandma used to make soft shell turtle soup. When I was four I caught a tortoise and came running into my grandma's kitchen yelling "turn on the oven, grandma!" Everybody laughed. But they made me take it back outside.

Bull frog legs are the best! Just skin em and roll them in flour with salt and pepper and put a bunch of lard in a large black skillet. Then grub out!

I rarely use recipes for anything. I just throw things together.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma