Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2018, 07:36 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,641,969 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by teakboat View Post
There is certainly a sizable churchy population in OKC and Tulsa, sometimes they come off a little strange I suppose.
But overall OKC and Tulsa would rate quite high among cities that I have experience with in the US and outside the US. If you can't make it here I think you will have trouble anywhere.

Tulsa and OKC median income are both higher than DFW median income FWIW, a meaningful metric which shows that some of Oklahoma is doing fairly well.
We'll know a lot of Oklahomans are doing well in November, if most of the Republican incumbent legislators get reelected and the new governor is another Republican. My theory is most Oklahomans really think they're doing just fine and don't think much is needed to change government at the state capitol, especially the dominating political party. After all, Oklahoma voters sure voted like there wasn't any need for changes in Nov. 2016, plus welcomed to the state capitol something like 6 new Republican legislators. In November, it sure won't hurt Republicans, if Trump becomes even more popular in Oklahoma.

Old 03-20-2018, 03:51 AM

171 posts, read 190,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InchingWest View Post
I guess if you enjoy the Chicago taxes and being cramped into tiny living spaces then, sure, do whatever works for you. But why bash people who want to eek out perfectly normal and decent lives in rural or semi-rural areas?

I think the QUALITY of life is just fine for most, and what you describe as problems with druggies and whatnot is situational or perhaps locational. You only notice it because it's disturbing and not normal, but it likely isn't as pervasive as you think, just more noticeable/memorable when you do encounter it.

Never said Chicago is perfect, It's NOT perfect but its HOME !!

And Maybe I rather live in such "conditions" in a world class city with many jobs, excellent transit system, Restaurants,Entertainment...etc vs a CRAPPY backwards state with HORRIFIC Bi-POLAR weather, Dirty lakes, State wide drug problem, Crappy roads and horrible Educational system and lets not forget all the Fake 2-face, ignorant, Racist people I had to deal with on a daily basis and that you okies elect for lawmakers

I base >MY OWN< opinions of Oklahoma as a outsider, Hispanic-American from my PERSONAL experiences living in the state in 2 different OK towns. How in the past, During my "prison time" living in NO-OK, I was a victim of racism, Theft(including grand theft auto) Most people I met interacted with STARTED with ignorant negative comments about Chicago and how its SUPER dangerous, you'll get killed just walking the streets and its "OBAMA LAND" and how they will never visit there, and then praised OK as if it was the best state in the country ??? Ignorance is bliss right ???

And aren't your Teachers supposed to strike in April ???? Due to being the LOWEST paid in the country !!!!!

"My issue with druggies is situational and locational" ?????
WTF are you kidding me ??

Have you looked up STATE stats, OK is one of the TOP states with a drug problem !!! Mainly pills/Meth

AMOF, When I had to go to OK a few months ago and pick up a car I had stored, I was watching KOCO at the hotel and saw there "State of addiction" special !!!

Do you want to contact KOCO and tell them that the pills and meth issue is only "Situational and locational" ????

Like i told people and my family, I would NEVER EVER raise a family in Oklahoma. You OKIES have A LOT to fix and it'll get MUCH worse if you don't change the BS at your state capital !!!

Old 03-20-2018, 07:35 AM

641 posts, read 1,073,292 times
Chicago has more homes "underwater" than any other large city. This is because liberal Chicago is entering a taxing death spiral and it's tax base will be evacuating over the next few years. I don't mean to be hyperbolic, but Chicago could easily be Detroit 2.0 . Good luck, you are going to need it.

Old 03-20-2018, 06:11 PM

7,308 posts, read 14,693,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagodude84 View Post
Never said Chicago is perfect, It's NOT perfect but its HOME !!

And Maybe I rather live in such "conditions" in a world class city with many jobs, excellent transit system, Restaurants,Entertainment...etc vs a CRAPPY backwards state with HORRIFIC Bi-POLAR weather, Dirty lakes, State wide drug problem, Crappy roads and horrible Educational system and lets not forget all the Fake 2-face, ignorant, Racist people I had to deal with on a daily basis and that you okies elect for lawmakers

I base >MY OWN< opinions of Oklahoma as a outsider, Hispanic-American from my PERSONAL experiences living in the state in 2 different OK towns. How in the past, During my "prison time" living in NO-OK, I was a victim of racism, Theft(including grand theft auto) Most people I met interacted with STARTED with ignorant negative comments about Chicago and how its SUPER dangerous, you'll get killed just walking the streets and its "OBAMA LAND" and how they will never visit there, and then praised OK as if it was the best state in the country ??? Ignorance is bliss right ???

And aren't your Teachers supposed to strike in April ???? Due to being the LOWEST paid in the country !!!!!

"My issue with druggies is situational and locational" ?????
WTF are you kidding me ??

Have you looked up STATE stats, OK is one of the TOP states with a drug problem !!! Mainly pills/Meth

AMOF, When I had to go to OK a few months ago and pick up a car I had stored, I was watching KOCO at the hotel and saw there "State of addiction" special !!!

Do you want to contact KOCO and tell them that the pills and meth issue is only "Situational and locational" ????

Like i told people and my family, I would NEVER EVER raise a family in Oklahoma. You OKIES have A LOT to fix and it'll get MUCH worse if you don't change the BS at your state capital !!!
Chicago has one of the highest murder rates in the country. Even Obama wouldn't live there again.

Old 03-20-2018, 08:00 PM

171 posts, read 190,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffnecked View Post
Chicago has one of the highest murder rates in the country. Even Obama wouldn't live there again.

Thanks for your ignorant comment. Just proves my point

Those "bad" areas in Chicago, I and most people AVOID, But in OKC crime is EVERYWHERE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Even the northside of OKC is Sh1t !!!, Is 122ND/Penn still a nice area lol ??

And I would feel 100% safer walking downtown Chicago at night VS downtown OKC, or 90% of OKC in general

Old 03-20-2018, 09:23 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,641,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
We'll know a lot of Oklahomans are doing well in November, if most of the Republican incumbent legislators get reelected and the new governor is another Republican. My theory is most Oklahomans really think they're doing just fine and don't think much is needed to change government at the state capitol, especially the dominating political party. After all, Oklahoma voters sure voted like there wasn't any need for changes in Nov. 2016, plus welcomed to the state capitol something like 6 new Republican legislators. In November, it sure won't hurt Republicans, if Trump becomes even more popular in Oklahoma.
So far, from this article my prediction is working out. Despite voter frustration, House very likely to look the same next year | News OK

Last edited by StillwaterTownie; 03-20-2018 at 09:31 PM..

Old 03-20-2018, 10:13 PM

793 posts, read 1,112,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagodude84 View Post
Thanks for your ignorant comment. Just proves my point

Those "bad" areas in Chicago, I and most people AVOID, But in OKC crime is EVERYWHERE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Even the northside of OKC is Sh1t !!!, Is 122ND/Penn still a nice area lol ??

And I would feel 100% safer walking downtown Chicago at night VS downtown OKC, or 90% of OKC in general
And your comment is ignorant because crime is not everywhere in OKC. There are tons of safe neighborhoods.

Old 03-21-2018, 01:34 AM

1,219 posts, read 1,508,825 times
I visited OKC a few years ago and thought it was nice. Maybe a more southern, slight more conservative version of Omaha/Lincoln. The people being dramatic about OKC honestly seem very stubborn and closed minded. If you can't find a nice group of people or get along with people in a US metro of over one million, then that's your fault. Even if your family is overly conservative and religious, you can't blame your sh*tty family for all your Oklahoma problems.

Old 03-21-2018, 07:49 AM

People who post emotional and exaggerated cliches as we sometimes see here, are generally failed persons who feel a need to transfer the blame for their shortcomings onto others, or places. Oklahoma City is obviously a decent, fairly safe place to live.

Emerson said-
“Traveling is a fool's paradise. Our first journeys discover to us the indifference of places. At home I dream that at Naples, at Rome, I can be intoxicated with beauty, and lose my sadness. I pack my trunk, embrace my friends, embark on the sea, and at last wake up in Naples, and there beside me is the stern fact, the sad self, unrelenting, identical, that I fled from. I seek the Vatican, and the palaces. I affect to be intoxicated with sights and suggestions, but I am not intoxicated. My giant goes with me wherever I go.”

In other words, if you were a failure in OKC, expect to be a failure in Chicago.

Last edited by teakboat; 03-21-2018 at 07:58 AM..

Old 03-21-2018, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloudcrash619 View Post
I visited OKC a few years ago and thought it was nice. Maybe a more southern, slight more conservative version of Omaha/Lincoln. The people being dramatic about OKC honestly seem very stubborn and closed minded. If you can't find a nice group of people or get along with people in a US metro of over one million, then that's your fault. Even if your family is overly conservative and religious, you can't blame your sh*tty family for all your Oklahoma problems.
Tulsa and Omaha size and demographics, even skyline, seem very similar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma