Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2012, 08:00 AM

4,030 posts, read 10,788,989 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
But the summer heat in Texas sets in sooner than in Oklahoma and takes longer to leave.
Very true!

Old 02-04-2012, 06:33 PM

7,896 posts, read 11,455,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodfella24 View Post
Hey, I was wondering if Oklahoma was a good place to live/ Start out.

Is the Employment rate high or low?
Taxes?
snow, no snow?
decent schools?
High or low rent prices?

Thanks Goodfella24
Consider Durant, its a smaller town but feels bigger. Near Dallas, State Univeristy there low unemployment rate. Public schools are good and cost of living is like most of Ok that is reasonably low. Not as much snow as northern parts but hot summers like Dallas which is 1.25 to 1.5 hrs away.

Old 03-19-2012, 08:04 AM

5,549 posts, read 9,538,832 times
Quote:
Thanks so much for the Reply, my current situation is I'm 20 my mother passed of cancer last February and my father has been ill with Pulmonary Fibrosis since my elementary school years. It's now catching up to him, he's telling me to go find a job and get college started. I'm from Connecticut and have always looked at moving south. I'm trying to figure out an area in which I could find a full or part time job to support myself while scheduleing classes around it. Right now I'm trying to decide which state would be best to do so, Connecticut with It's massive tax increases and high costs of living isn't an option for me anymore.
Goodfella,

Did you ever visit Oklahoma and what was your impression?

Old 03-23-2012, 10:44 AM

8 posts, read 12,028 times
I lived in OKC for five years, moving away was one of my FAILs. Long story but the Cliffs Notes version is that I'd do things a bit differently, knowing what I know now.

Old 03-23-2012, 10:53 AM

7,525 posts, read 17,022,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickd203 View Post
..........The roads, schools and parks are much better built and maintained in OK.............
holy shi......................you ARE kidding, right?

Probably won't interest you, but as an old guy I find the scenery here really nice.......you did realize we have more Miss Americas from Oklahoma than just about any other place?

Old 03-26-2012, 12:36 PM

274 posts, read 520,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodpasture View Post
holy shi......................you ARE kidding, right?

Probably won't interest you, but as an old guy I find the scenery here really nice.......you did realize we have more Miss Americas from Oklahoma than just about any other place?
I think you got the meaning of what I was saying backward.

Because the government in Connecticut is so corrupt, public works projects have become cash cows for the politician's friends and their high dollar campaign contributors. These contractors then cut corners and use substandard materials so that some projects are falling apart even before the job is complete.

The latest fiasco is a 9 mile boondoggle busway for an estimated $573 dollars. That's $64 million dollars per mile! When it's completed, the project is expected to lose about $7 million dollars per year in operating expenses. The politicians that support this colossal waste of money are trying to tell us that it's a great project because $460 million dollars to fund this project is from federal funding. That's YOUR tax dollars going to pay for this boondoggle busway!

You don't have to tell me that Oklahoma has an abundance of beautiful women, I lived there! I especially liked how the women in OK don't play the head games like the women in the NE. I will never forget the time when a woman I knew from some group outings walked right up to me, looked right into my eyes and said "you're sexy". You can't get much more straightforward than that. Even when they refused my offer for a date, they did it in such a way that it made me feel good just for asking!

I also agree that the scenery in OK is really nice. In all my travels I have become somewhat of a flatlander. I really like plenty of sunshine, blue skies, and wide open spaces. Tall mountains are nice to look at, I just don't want to live in them.

Old 08-28-2014, 08:52 AM

1 posts, read 2,826 times
Are there good nursing jobs in Oklahoma?

Old 08-28-2014, 09:13 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,721,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jstarr1984 View Post
Are there good nursing jobs in Oklahoma?
I bet there is in the Oklahoma City and Tulsa areas, since that is where most of the population growth is taking place in Oklahoma.

Old 08-29-2014, 03:26 PM

483 posts, read 672,555 times
Quote:
Hey, I was wondering if Oklahoma was a good place to live/ Start out.

Is the Employment rate high or low?
Taxes?
snow, no snow?
decent schools?
High or low rent prices?

Thanks Goodfella24
Oklahoma was not for me but I can answer one thing 100 percent. OKC is not full of snow-it is full of ICE! The main problem I had was with the weather, Frigid and icy in winter, storm season spring and fall, and intense heat in summer.

Rent is low. Very low, if you compare to Connecticut.

Oklahoma schools rank very low on PISA scores compared to most other states, but that is probably not true for all schools. A "good" district may cost you.

http://www.hks.harvard.edu/pepg/PDF/...Challenged.pdf

Old 08-29-2014, 04:40 PM

7,776 posts, read 12,477,738 times
Winter in Oklahoma is not 3 months of frigid and icy weather. Making such a statement puts doubt on the rest of your post. Storm season is not 3 months of storms in spring and 3 months in autumn. Summer is not 3 months of intense heat. You at least said all schools are not ranked low, which is true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma