Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2014, 04:52 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,668,526 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by grilba View Post
Oklahoma was not for me but I can answer one thing 100 percent. OKC is not full of snow-it is full of ICE!
But Stillwater hasn't had an ice storm in over a decade.

Old 08-29-2014, 09:51 PM

2,572 posts, read 4,255,718 times
Storms in the fall?? We do have a slight spike in storms because of seasons changing, but it is nothing like spring. Fall is very nice here in Oklahoma. Winters are mild here compaired to Connecticut. Three months of hot summer is pretty accurate.

Old 08-30-2014, 03:50 PM

483 posts, read 671,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
But Stillwater hasn't had an ice storm in over a decade.
We had ice quite often in the OKC area when I lived there, and the winter chilled me to the bone. Your experiences are your experiences, mine are mine.

And to respond to Rubi3's post, I have lived in both areas (N LI and Oklahoma), winter in Oklahoma goes into your bones, it is chilling, and yes, icy-I remember the icy storms we used to get, in fact I got hit by a car during one big one. It doesn't have to be three whole months straight of ice to wreck your car. The average winter lows in Oklahoma and coastal Connecticut are believe it or not very similar, and summers in Oklahoma are much hotter.

And when an F4 comes within a block of your home once and within a mile once more within 4 years, it kind of colors the whole storm season for you. No, it is not 6 straight months of continuous F4's, but when the local meteorologists have an intense fan base and rivalry going on...well that should say something about how important weather is around there.

It is one thing to say if Oklahoma is worth it to stay or not because everyone has different wants and needs, but no one knows OP's pet peeves. Mine were the weather conditions. If Oklahoma had better weather, I may have stayed because otherwise Oklahoma is OK. OP may not care.

Old 08-30-2014, 08:38 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,668,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grilba View Post
We had ice quite often in the OKC area when I lived there, and the winter chilled me to the bone. Your experiences are your experiences, mine are mine.
Sorry, but I don't remember Oklahoma winters more for their ice than snow. Snow stands out far more in my mind, for instance, the Great Christmas Eve Blizzard of 2009. I think it was the first time a blizzard warning was issued for central Oklahoma. The particular winter that was really a doozy for snow was around 1977 or 1978. It snowed at least a half of foot on New Year's Eve. Then for the rest of the winter there would come so many snow storms without much warmup that the snow never got a chance to get nearly fully melted off until mid March. So, no doubt, some Oklahoma winters are going to stand out for being cold and/or snowy. Several winters ago it got so cold in northern Oklahoma that lows got well below zero and broke all time records. I think we can both agree if you want to escape from cold winters, moving to Oklahoma isn't a good choice.

About 5 winters ago it wasn't about the snow, it was about an ice storm that didn't stick to trees. Instead, it piled up solid on the ground. It looked white like snow but was really a thick coat of ice. Didn't recall that kind of icy weather before.

But like I said Stillwater hasn't had any serious ice storms in over 10 years. It has luckily been bypassed by them over the years. One of them iced over Cushing and Perkins. Many rural people had power out for over a week. A different one iced over Perry pretty bad. But Stillwater was spared from both of them. Though there are sometimes exceptions, such as the big hail storm of 2009, Stillwater does tend to get bypassed by bad weather, whether from the spring or winter storms.

Old 08-31-2014, 04:31 PM

483 posts, read 671,212 times
Quote:
Sorry, but I don't remember Oklahoma winters more for their ice than snow. Snow stands out far more in my mind, for instance, the Great Christmas Eve Blizzard of 2009. I think it was the first time a blizzard warning was issued for central Oklahoma. The particular winter that was really a doozy for snow was around 1977 or 1978. It snowed at least a half of foot on New Year's Eve. Then for the rest of the winter there would come so many snow storms without much warmup that the snow never got a chance to get nearly fully melted off until mid March. So, no doubt, some Oklahoma winters are going to stand out for being cold and/or snowy. Several winters ago it got so cold in northern Oklahoma that lows got well below zero and broke all time records. I think we can both agree if you want to escape from cold winters, moving to Oklahoma isn't a good choice.

About 5 winters ago it wasn't about the snow, it was about an ice storm that didn't stick to trees. Instead, it piled up solid on the ground. It looked white like snow but was really a thick coat of ice. Didn't recall that kind of icy weather before.

But like I said Stillwater hasn't had any serious ice storms in over 10 years. It has luckily been bypassed by them over the years. One of them iced over Cushing and Perkins. Many rural people had power out for over a week. A different one iced over Perry pretty bad. But Stillwater was spared from both of them. Though there are sometimes exceptions, such as the big hail storm of 2009, Stillwater does tend to get bypassed by bad weather, whether from the spring or winter storms.

Maybe that should be the focus then, It will be different in Beaver, Tulsa, OKC, ect. Oklahoma goes from 1000 feet above sea level to 5000 feet above sea level, from hilly woods to plains to scrub. So I'm sure that would go into it. Such a huge variation.

Old 11-27-2017, 05:49 PM

1 posts, read 1,536 times
Default What about Tulsa

Quote:
Originally Posted by debzkidz View Post
Where in Oklahoma are we talking about?

In general, I would say it is a good place to live. We like it. However, I wouldn't want to live just anywhere in OK. I'm a city girl, and I wouldn't want to live in a small town in any state.

Unemployment is lower than much of the country right now. Again, it depends on where in OK and what kind of employment you are seeking.

Taxes are relatively low.

Some snow. Not a ton, but again it depends on where in Oklahoma you are talking about. The panhandle tends to get the most. Obviously, the further south, the warmer it gets, so less snow. In central OK, we get a couple of snowfalls a year. In the last couple of years, we've had a bit more than normal, but usually it melts off in a day or so. We've had none so far this year. It really depends on where you're coming from. If your coming from Florida, yeah we get a ton of snow. If your coming from Minnesota, we don't get any!

Schools, again, it all depends where you're talking about. Some are great, some not so much!

Compared to much of the country, the cost of living here is low. I can't speak specifically to rent, because I've never really rented in Oklahoma. Again, it all depends on what town/area you are looking at. Some places are more expensive than others. However, keep in mind, depending on where you are coming from, wages here might be lower as well.

Give us more specifics about what you are looking for and you might get more specific answers.
What about Tulsa? I am coming from Chicago Illinois me an my kids looking for a fresh start.

Old 12-10-2017, 08:35 PM

641 posts, read 1,074,509 times
Tulsa is a nice city. Kind of a funky midtown, typical suburbs surrounding it. Some years the winters are fairly nasty, with snow, ice, and cold wind.. some years not much at all. Usually hot summers, but this year very little extreme heat.

I think that the landscape around Tulsa tends to be prettier than the OKC area, if that matters.

Old 12-15-2017, 09:41 PM

30,197 posts, read 11,845,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodfella24 View Post
Hey, I was wondering if Oklahoma was a good place to live/ Start out.

Is the Employment rate high or low?
Taxes?
snow, no snow?
decent schools?
High or low rent prices?

Thanks Goodfella24
1. The job market is good. It does depend somewhat as to your background.
2. Taxes? Which taxes? To me taxes are low.
3. Again depends where you live. Closer to Texas less snow. Closer to Kansas more snow.
4. I have heard pro and con on schools.
5. Very low rents in my opinion.

Old 12-16-2017, 01:16 AM

14,539 posts, read 21,278,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackwinkelman View Post
1. The job market is good. It does depend somewhat as to your background.
2. Taxes? Which taxes? To me taxes are low.
3. Again depends where you live. Closer to Texas less snow. Closer to Kansas more snow.
4. I have heard pro and con on schools.
5. Very low rents in my opinion.
As someone who's had a son, who went to school, I would be packing up to move with this current state of affairs where schools are turning to teachers who aren't certified, have not finished their training, and the lot. This is a desperate move to not have to admit that all that money which oil generates, most doesn't reach the people. People who choose to be teachers pick a job for good schools first, and better pay. The new teachers who may or may not have finished may or may not prove good at it, but they'll take less money. Do you want your kids taught by teachers who got to leave out blocks of their training?

OKC is desperately trying to compete with cities in Texas, who pay way more. They demand more standard though. I find this an enormous failure of the state to serve its students and families. I'd be moving or have moved.

Where I live, most of the rooms at a nearby hotel are people who work in oil here. They don't live here, don't want to bring their families, just commute for weekends home. Why would they not make it easier and move? Maybe they don't want their kids in Cushing schools. I sure wouldn't be.

Rents are low since those who rent couldn't pay a lot more. Houses are also far below other areas. Mine was pennies on the dollar. But if you want to sell? That my house is mine and it's not nearly as costly as other places is a big reason I haven't actively considered leaving. Later, when my son settles one place, as he's doing well but planning to do more and better things, not wanting to move quite so often, I will move into a mother in law space with them. I don't know if my house would still sell.

I'd also urge new people to look at the history of areas *commonly* hit by tornados. And have a shelter. If you live in a busy area, prepare as if there will be one. Where I live seems to not be one of those, probably the geography. Still wish I had a shelter.

Just better to be prepared.

Maybe come and visit and look the area over and see if the inner feelings you get add up to moving here too. It is a smallish, and quiet town, and if you don't need many services you might decide its workable. But if there's more to it, like with schools, think harder first.

Old 12-16-2017, 01:29 AM

14,539 posts, read 21,278,671 times
Quote:

I remember that well. I was very glad that I did my shopping before the storm and had all of it before I couldn't get out. And even more grateful for the gas heat. The house actually got too warm, since all the little air leaks were sealed. My most memorable part was the drive from a friends house to mine with the roads mostly iced over, but not quite impassable. I had to open the door and jump out since he didn't dare stop. I learned my lessons, and have a good larder of heatable food, and assorted battery operated lights. I remember opening the door, and the screen wouldn't move as it was incased in ice.

Most of the time winters have been cyclic. I moved here in 2008. They've been more cold then less cold and swing back. I make sure I have full cuppords and stuff which can be stored anyway. Lots of stuff for sandwitches. Full up on pet food. Just incase.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma