Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2018, 09:35 AM

793 posts, read 1,117,663 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
I am envious of you.

I am so sick of living in Oklahoma City, where you are pretty much beat over the head with a Bible 24/7/365. I can hardly think of another state that's more backwards, toxic, and hateful than this one. It feels like I might as well live in Iran under the Taliban. It's literally like being in a prison. I cannot wait to get out of here. Life is too short to have to live it like this.
I can't remember the last time I've even seen a bible since living here in OKC, much less (actually, never) being beat over the head figuratively.

I have no intentions of leaving nor do I want to leave OKC.

Old 03-14-2018, 10:09 AM

641 posts, read 1,076,972 times
Quote:
I am envious of you.

I am so sick of living in Oklahoma City, where you are pretty much beat over the head with a Bible 24/7/365. I can hardly think of another state that's more backwards, toxic, and hateful than this one. It feels like I might as well live in Iran under the Taliban. It's literally like being in a prison. I cannot wait to get out of here. Life is too short to have to live it like this.
drama much?

Who is keeping you here?

Old 03-14-2018, 10:25 AM

24,779 posts, read 11,140,961 times
Quote:
I am envious of you.

You can join the US military and experience life close to the Taliban. Your car note will fall under Soldiers/Sailors Act. I do not recommend denouncing US citizenship and moving to Iran as they are a little behind OK in regards to alcohol sales, religious dominance and LGBT.

Have you considered moving in with Chicago until you get on your feet there?

Then thee is crowd funding or in OK a church bazar for a good cause.

As many serious responses you have gotten on CD over time on how to go about getting a job out of town; what to watch out for - you do not want to leave the safe nest feathered by your complaints and drama. It is always someone else's fault when you make wrong decisions. Had you taken a one day per week end part time job when we moved here - that car would be paid off:>)

Old 03-14-2018, 10:41 AM

24,779 posts, read 11,140,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KayneMo View Post
I can't remember the last time I've even seen a bible since living here in OKC, much less (actually, never) being beat over the head figuratively.

I have no intentions of leaving nor do I want to leave OKC.
As posted in the past - I can see FIVE churches from the patio. Since 11/2015 one gentleman went knocking from door to door to let the neighborhood know that several cars on the church parking lot were broken in during service.

SO's department grew again by a professional moving to OK from OH with family.

It is not all perfect here but a lot more perfect then it could be.

Old 03-14-2018, 10:52 AM

641 posts, read 1,076,972 times
There is certainly a sizable churchy population in OKC and Tulsa, sometimes they come off a little strange I suppose.
But overall OKC and Tulsa would rate quite high among cities that I have experience with in the US and outside the US. If you can't make it here I think you will have trouble anywhere.

Tulsa and OKC median income are both higher than DFW median income FWIW, a meaningful metric which shows that some of Oklahoma is doing fairly well.

Last edited by teakboat; 03-14-2018 at 11:05 AM..

Old 03-14-2018, 11:18 AM

793 posts, read 1,117,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
As posted in the past - I can see FIVE churches from the patio. Since 11/2015 one gentleman went knocking from door to door to let the neighborhood know that several cars on the church parking lot were broken in during service.

SO's department grew again by a professional moving to OK from OH with family.

It is not all perfect here but a lot more perfect then it could be.
I'm not religious at all and I live directly across the street from a huge church near Midtown and I have never experienced what bawac claims to experience.

Old 03-14-2018, 12:36 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,709,006 times
Quote:
I am envious of you.

Maybe it indicates I don't get around to enough places, but I don't see much oppressive Christian judgment in Stillwater. Interesting that I do live in a legislative district in which the rep describes himself as a "pragmatic humanist" who is pro choice, and wasn't afraid to say in a past town hall meeting that the Ten Commandments did not belong at the state capitol. He also wasn't afraid to go against many Christian wishes and so was not among legislators who okayed a citizen vote to ban Sharia law in Oklahoma. He said it wasn't constitutional. Later, a state supreme court ruling proved him right. Yet, this rep, Cory Williams, remains and if reelected in 2018, it will be his last term, due to term limits. I asked my liberal Stillwater friend what he thinks of him. He said we have been lucky to have him. Yes, in a state like Oklahoma, not just Stillwater, but the whole state is lucky to have him to counter the Republican Christian Right authoritarianism.

Old 03-18-2018, 04:33 AM

17,869 posts, read 13,799,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KayneMo View Post
We are having the National Atheist convention here in a couple of weekends. Right downtown. Bawac could go and meet some like minded people there. Even a lot of local ones as OKC has one of the largest and most active atheist groups in the country (Thus hosting this event).

But that goes against his narrative so I'd suspect that he won't attend.

Old 03-18-2018, 08:02 AM

1,153 posts, read 1,054,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagodude84 View Post
Everyone has a different lifestyle, I'm not married and no kids, So easier for me to move where ever.

Sadly, I had business/family obligations in OK. But once those were cleared and done. BAM I found my nice bachelor studio near Chicago loop, $3K down and C'ya CRAPAHOMA !!!

And so glad i didn't "bite the bait" with females in OK, Several times I came close to being a daddy and locked in OK hell for ever !!!

So glad they dodged those "bullets" of mine lol
I guess if you enjoy the Chicago taxes and being cramped into tiny living spaces then, sure, do whatever works for you. But why bash people who want to eek out perfectly normal and decent lives in rural or semi-rural areas?

I think the QUALITY of life is just fine for most, and what you describe as problems with druggies and whatnot is situational or perhaps locational. You only notice it because it's disturbing and not normal, but it likely isn't as pervasive as you think, just more noticeable/memorable when you do encounter it.

Old 03-18-2018, 07:21 PM

7,308 posts, read 14,727,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teakboat View Post
There is certainly a sizable churchy population in OKC and Tulsa, sometimes they come off a little strange I suppose.
But overall OKC and Tulsa would rate quite high among cities that I have experience with in the US and outside the US. If you can't make it here I think you will have trouble anywhere.

Tulsa and OKC median income are both higher than DFW median income FWIW, a meaningful metric which shows that some of Oklahoma is doing fairly well.

There is nothing strange about the church population in Oklahoma City. It's actually a good thing. Some are growing a lot. Others are dying. 99% of churches don't even knock on your door.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma