Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2007, 10:58 PM

1 posts, read 11,473 times

Advertisements

I use to live in Steubenville 10 years ago,moved to Myrtle Beach,SC....Just thinking about moving back up that way......Has anything changed?????????? Good/Bad????????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2007, 06:10 PM

2,179 posts, read 7,373,579 times
i drove down the w va side of the river from east liverpool to wheeling in december and i caught a glimpse of steubenville for my first time and i think i figured out why dean martin left!!!
if youve been in myrtle beach for ten years........get ready for a shock!
from accross the river it looked like steubenville was back in the 1940's

Old 04-04-2007, 06:44 PM

191 posts, read 809,475 times
Last year I was visiting the area and I parked near the steel mill and walked around. Later that evening I went to my friend's in Wheeling and he said, "What!?? You mean you walked around Steubenville??? Somebody gets murdered up there every other day!" The next week he emailed me a news article about a homicide in Steubenville the day before and he said, "See what I mean?"

Old 04-12-2007, 11:21 PM

421 posts, read 1,565,532 times
Default Seems Quiet but stagnant

Hello,

I live up near Ashtabula, travel through Steubenville on 7 fairly frequently enroute to Martins Ferry. Don't know much about Steubenville other than Dean Martin being from there, and hearing stories about it having mob troubles similar to Youngstown years ago. It seems quiet but very stagnant economically. Folks in Martins Ferry indicate that, compared to other Ohio Valley towns, they hae some crime troubles, but I am guessing this is a small town persective, and that it is nothing like Youngstown or Warren.

Wheeling is, I find, a surprisingly nice little city. Jobs are scarce, but, with the right job, I think Wheeling or the surrounding towns like Martins Ferry would be a very pleasant to live in. The river is just so pretty, as are the hills. Folks in Martins Ferry, at least, seem more personable and relaxed than NE Ohioans, and have more community pride and a kinder, gentler attitude. I know Columbus has more jobs, but I like this section of the state.

Old 04-15-2007, 04:04 PM

4 posts, read 34,165 times
Ask yourself why you left in the first place, and why you would want to move back.

Change is slow here. I've been here for 10 years, with other relatives who have lived their entire life here. It's not anywhere near my favorite places to live, but ..... it is what it is..... a place to live. The worst part for me is the stench of sulfur laden pollution. It creeps in from southerly breezes in the evenings and mornings. Sleeping with the windows open can be downright offensive.... as is waking in the morning to a deep breath of sulfur. I'm told it's better than it "was" many years ago ...... they must be kidding

To each their own though ..... some really love it here . Believe it .... or not .

Old 04-17-2007, 09:35 AM

5,110 posts, read 7,137,361 times
Well, the city has struggled with crime, but it’s not random crime. As with most city crime, it’s someone who knows someone. The city has some nice neighborhoods west of downtown, and it’s the cheapest metro for housing in the country as population has shrunk dramatically the last 3 decades with the loss of steel jobs. The local economy is horrible. If that doesn’t matter and you want a decent house for next to nothing, Steubenville may work for you. If you are willing to commute to work in PA, then again it’s a decent inexpensive option, but don’t move expecting much in jobs in the town itself.

As for the pollution, it's worse - much worse in real cities. Industry is mostly dead in the Ohio Valley, a much smaller shadow of its former self.

Old 05-03-2007, 05:47 PM

23 posts, read 121,646 times
Have family from there. I wouldn't move there under any circumstances. It's like when you come over the hill, there's a black cloud over that city...of course also up in the clouds are the helicopters patrolling cuz crime is so bad. If you google the "Wu Tang" (Supposedly the most violent gang in existence now) they are headquartered in Steubenville. My friend says that NO ONE goes into the downtown area if they care about their safety.
Got this from Google...
Steubenville, OH Profile

Steubenville, OH, population 19,015, is located in Ohio's Jefferson county, about 34.0 miles from Pittsburgh and 67.6 miles from Akron.

Through the 90's Steubenville's population has declined by about 14%. It is estimated that in recent years Steubenville's population has been growing at an annual rate of less than one percent.

Steubenville's property crime levels tend to be a little higher than Ohio's average level. The same data shows violent crime levels in Steubenville tend to be much higher than Ohio's average level

Old 05-05-2007, 10:42 PM

64 posts, read 320,882 times
absolutely no reason to consider moving there.

Old 05-06-2007, 09:30 AM

1,118 posts, read 516,020 times
Anyone else from the Pittsburgh area chuckle at the Steubenville commercials on radio and TV? "Steubenville! The Burb of the Burgh, the burb of the burgh!"

That being said i've never been there, but after hearing so many negative remarks and the whole population decline thing I wonder how much success S-ville is having in their lil advertising technique.

Old 05-11-2007, 10:31 AM

11 posts, read 65,194 times
i am from near cleveland and my job had me traveling down there many times. it was just like they said, a step back in time. i had never been down that way, and the area is run down and dirty. i go to myrtle beach every year for vacation, and i think you will be highly disappointed to move back there. if not only for the boredom.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio